2011 Minor League Catch-All Thread

danman31

It's been pointed out that the catch-all thread still had 2010 in the title (856 replies, good stuff everyone) so here's the new 2011 version in time for, well it's late. Anyway post all tidbits about the Sox minor leagues or anything MiLB related here.

I'll kick it off with some potentially awful injury news. Tyler Saladino may have broken his hand. This guy says surgery too. If accurate, he will probably miss April and wrist injuries always suck for hitters. Saladino was a sleeper for me. I hope it's not that severe and he recovers quickly.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chase's locker is between Dan Black and Michael Blanke, he really likes Blanke, says he's a pretty cool guy! Also, in the meeting today, it was decided that they are going to take the catching position away from Black and send him back to being just 1B!! I will let you all know the little tid bits as they come to me!! :)

QUOTE (IChaseBlackWood @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)
Chase's locker is between Dan Black and Michael Blanke, he really likes Blanke, says he's a pretty cool guy! Also, in the meeting today, it was decided that they are going to take the catching position away from Black and send him back to being just 1B!! I will let you all know the little tid bits as they come to me!! :)

Blanke is a Canadian though.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 10:09 PM)
Blanke is a Canadian though.

LOL so is Justin Beiber, doesn't seem to be hurting his ticket sales and success any!! If Blanke can kick ass for the White Sox and is nice to my husband, i don't care if he's from mars! hahaha

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
Sounds like the Sox are actually being conservative with Mitchell, and plan to start him in Kanny. I approve.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,5257600.story

That's where I figured he's start. In the absolute best case scenario, he plays some in Birmingham by the end of the year and if not, he should still start next year there anyways.

Hopefully he hits.

Haha, called it. The White Sox signed LHP Wes Whisler.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 11:56 PM)
Wouldn't be surprised if someone like Wes Whisler or another AAAA type left handed pitcher is signed to be the bullpen lefty for Charlotte. Right now, no left handed relief pitcher in the organization projects for Charlotte.

They also signed OF Kenny Gilbert. Both players were formerly in the organization.

Edited by JPN366

Chase was called to the big league field today to catch some bIg leaguers. He got to BS with the guys a little and received a pretty nice compliment from Gavin Floyd. He told him he has great hands and he likes the way he sticks it!! Johnny orton told him to cherish that compliment because Floyd doesn't give them out too often. Needless to say, I am very happy for and proud of him!! Fingers crossed he has an amazing season this year!

QUOTE (IChaseBlackWood @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 04:57 PM)
Chase was called to the big league field today to catch some bIg leaguers. He got to BS with the guys a little and received a pretty nice compliment from Gavin Floyd. He told him he has great hands and he likes the way he sticks it!! Johnny orton told him to cherish that compliment because Floyd doesn't give them out too often. Needless to say, I am very happy for and proud of him!! Fingers crossed he has an amazing season this year!

:headbang

QUOTE (IChaseBlackWood @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 05:57 PM)

I'm projecting him for Kannapolis. Is that fairly likely, or is he not so sure yet?

In the category of most noticeable positive difference made from Spring Training 2010 to the present, the White Sox winner would be Tyler Flowers.

Well, the 25-year-old White Sox catcher gets the nod if manager Ozzie Guillen has a vote.

"He's a different guy," said Guillen. "He swings the bat better and [he's] more comfortable [at the plate]. Behind the plate, he's outstanding.

This exceptional spring performance could open the eyes of other teams in need of catching help if Flowers stays where he is now. But when the day comes for his reassignment to the Minors, will the resurgent Flowers have a tough time handling a trip back to Triple-A Charlotte?

"I don't know," Flowers said. "We'll see when that day comes. I'm just trying to go day to day and see what happens."

Flowers has worked extensively with hitting coach Greg Walker and Charlotte hitting coach Tim Laker during the past few weeks, putting in extra early work, and has witnessed major dividends.

"That early work is definitely helping," said Flowers, who drew two walks and scored two runs in Sunday's 11-8, "B" game victory over Cleveland. "Also getting a couple of hits doesn't hurt, building a little confidence. It kind of keeps you scrapping to get more information and understand a little bit more why this is working and why other things don't.

"It's simplified a lot of things. We are down to just a couple of moves right now and trying to be consistent with that day in and day out."

The White Sox will make more roster moves on Monday. Look for Shane Lindsay to survive the cuts, as he continued to impress with two scoreless innings and two strikeouts in Sunday's 11-8 "B" game victory over the Indians. ... Eduardo Escobar had two doubles and one RBI in the "B" game, and then replaced Omar Vizquel at shortstop in the Cactus League game after Vizquel homered in the fourth off Hiroki Kuroda. Escobar made two errors but walked and scored a run. ... Stefan Gartrell drove in five runs and hit two home runs in the "B" game, including a mammoth clout for his second blast.
Link

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 08:07 AM)
There isn't much of a chance of that happening right now is there?

there's always a chance for this to happen. Chase wasn't drafted so they don't have much money invested in him, they have a lot of catchers this year so it would be naive to think that there aren't going to be a few releases. Chase does early work everyday, is the last one to leave everyday, he's changed up his swing and has already been complimented on that several times, his defense has never suffered so that's good ... He's a very hard worker and will do whatever he has to so they see he wants to be there.

He's hearing very positive feedback from coaches, pitchers and Donny Lucy ... But the politics in this game are crazzzy! You never know what they're going to do!!

QUOTE (IChaseBlackWood @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
there's always a chance for this to happen. Chase wasn't drafted so they don't have much money invested in him, they have a lot of catchers this year so it would be naive to think that there aren't going to be a few releases. Chase does early work everyday, is the last one to leave everyday, he's changed up his swing and has already been complimented on that several times, his defense has never suffered so that's good ... He's a very hard worker and will do whatever he has to so they see he wants to be there.

He's hearing very positive feedback from coaches, pitchers and Donny Lucy ... But the politics in this game are crazzzy! You never know what they're going to do!!

Yeah, there is a lot of competition at the catcher spot, and as a whole for minor league roster spots.

• 2 weeks later...