2011 Minor League Catch-All Thread

danman31

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
Who's the mystery man, Bren?

Chase said he has an odd last name so its hard for him to remember it!! Lol I know that sounds retarded, but that's all I know ...he was drafted by the angels in '07 I believe.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IChaseBlackWood @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 08:20 PM)
Chase said he has an odd last name so its hard for him to remember it!! Lol I know that sounds retarded, but that's all I know ...he was drafted by the angels in '07 I believe.

Jon Bachanov? He was just released by the Angels. Their first pick in 2007.

Edited by JPN366

"We did not think the White Sox were going to take me," Williams said. "I want to say I heard the Cubs were about to take me after the White Sox did. That would've been a little awkward."

How much different would the perception of Williams been then? He'd probably have been labeled the Cubs next great prospect.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
How much different would the perception of Williams been then? He'd probably have been labeled the Cubs next great prospect.

It would be no different. He was a horrible prospect than and he's a horrible prospect now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2011 -> 11:31 PM)
Well. Bryce Harper has a 1.161 OPS.

He's quite something. Last years no. 3 pick Manny Machado is no slouch either. Hitting .333/.450/.611 with 5 home runs and 19 BB/14 SO. Plus he's a SS.

Obviously a small sample size on Machado, but perhaps the A-Rod comps weren't as farfetched as originally thought.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 9, 2011 -> 05:21 PM)
The three top picks from last year's draft are going to be fantastic players. I wouldn't be shocked to see Harper in the majors next season.

We can get one of those for 2012 if Kenny doesn't give it away (again).

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 10, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)
We can get one of those for 2012 if Kenny doesn't give it away (again).

If you're hinting at KW signing a Type A FA and losing the first round draft pick, any team that finishes in the bottom 15 has their first round pick protected, and the team would lose their 2nd round pick.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 9, 2011 -> 06:21 PM)
The three top picks from last year's draft are going to be fantastic players. I wouldn't be shocked to see Harper in the majors next season.

I wish I had a bandwagon gene in me. I'd love to be a Nationals fan right now. When Strasburg comes back and Harper gets to the Show, they'll be the top draw in the league, IMO.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 10, 2011 -> 11:05 AM)
I wish I had a bandwagon gene in me. I'd love to be a Nationals fan right now. When Strasburg comes back and Harper gets to the Show, they'll be the top draw in the league, IMO.

I don't know if they can possibly pass the Red Sox/Yankees in terms of draw...and there's an "if Stras comes back as himself and this time doesn't get hurt" in there...but you're actually on track with this one. That'd be a team I'd just keep coming back to on Extra Innings just to see what they're doing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 10, 2011 -> 10:06 AM)
I don't know if they can possibly pass the Red Sox/Yankees in terms of draw...and there's an "if Stras comes back as himself and this time doesn't get hurt" in there...but you're actually on track with this one. That'd be a team I'd just keep coming back to on Extra Innings just to see what they're doing.

They'll have the most star power. The Yankees will always be the top draw because they're the Yankees. But even casual fans will tune in to see Strasburg and Harper. And I didn't even mention Ryan Zimmerman. He's probably the best 3B in the game (only Longoria can challenge him) when he's not on the DL.

BenBadler Ben Badler

Time to be concerned: White Sox '09 first-rounder Jared Mitchell leads the minors with 48 whiffs in 129 PAs in High-A

18 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

I double checked, and Jared indeed has the most K's amongst all levels in minor league baseball.

Sickels also wrote about him today.

**Another outfield prospect who missed all of 2010 is White Sox '09 first-rounder Jared Mitchell. Unlike Pollock, Mitchell is seriously struggling this year, hitting just .205/.250/.385 in 117 at-bats for High-A Winston-Salem, with a horrible 6/46 BB/K. He was always raw for a college guy and while he always struck out a lot, he also drew walks at LSU and in Low-A. That has completely left him this year. He's also stolen just three bases in six attempts, and while the word is he hasn't lost the speed he had before his horrible ankle injury last spring, it sure isn't showing up in the numbers. He's in a very deep slump currently, 6-for-40 (.150) in his last 10 games, with 20 strikeouts.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/5/10/2...-2011#storyjump

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 10, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
I double checked, and Jared indeed has the most K's amongst all levels in minor league baseball.

Sickels also wrote about him today.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/5/10/2...-2011#storyjump

He's still young, still raw, and is still getting back into a rhythm. They should put him at Kanny at this point.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 10, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
He's still young, still raw, and is still getting back into a rhythm. They should put him at Kanny at this point.

I agree with giving him a step back for now. He is accomplishing nothing in this slump.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 10, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)
The question is...which would be worse for him (mentally), the slump or the demotion?

His mental health went out the window when he decided to make Rob Deer's plate discipline look like Ichiro's. Demote his ass if you have to.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 10, 2011 -> 05:49 PM)
His mental health went out the window when he decided to make Rob Deer's plate discipline look like Ichiro's. Demote his ass if you have to.

That was a well thought out post which was totally worth my time.