2011 Minor League Catch-All Thread

danman31

QUOTE (LayelBurton @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 11:34 PM)
JPN,

Its going to be very interesting to see what happens over the course of the next week or so a far as catchers.

Adam Ricks was placed on the DL on the 5th of July, so he cannot get off until the 12th regardless. Charlotte will play tomorrow in Gwinett and then be off until the 14th for the All-Star break.

This will allow Ricks to play after the All-Star break, if that is what the White Sox choose to do, but he may continue his "coaching" role since he has yet to see action thus far in 2011.

The question then would be, who would the White Sox send as a back-up other than Ricks? Phegley is the most likely canidate, but would they rather him continue to start in Birmingham then play behind or split reps with Lucy? As well, if Phegley leaves then who becomes the catcher at Birgingham? Neither Price (.130/.237) nor Bour (.203/.258) have really put up the numbers wanted from a starting catcher especially at AA.

I'd go with Ricks as the 2nd Charlotte catcher after the dust clears, unless we can pick up another AA+ catcher before the trade deadline. As far as tomorrow, Price should get the nod based on AAA experience, but be returned when Ricks is off the DL.

I imagine Flowers will be up for a while, so if it's Phegley, I'd assume Lucy would back him up. Price is an excellent player/coach, mentor to pitchers, mentor to Phegley, game caller and defender. He's a catching first catcher. It could be Bour, it wouldn't be unprecedented based on the promotions that have occurred so far this season. Oester's a perfect example of that. The biggest factor is that there is no point in Birmingham carrying three catchers. I could see Ricks taking the backup roll in Charlotte and Luis Sierra and Bour swapping places, which would still leave W-S with one open roster spot.

Edited by JPN366

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LayelBurton @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
Jared Price assigned to Charlotte Knights

Freddy Dolsi activated from DL

And Jared is back with Birmingham today.

Edited by JPN366

According to the Knights Twitter, Joe Bisenius is starting Saturday. That means he's coming off the DL. Charlotte's roster is full and they're in need of a back up catcher. Birmingham has one open roster spot and has 3 catchers. Bisenius is activated, one of the catchers goes up to Charlotte and two players go down to Birmingham perhaps? Maybe Tyson Corley and Drew Garcia return to Birmingham.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 07:45 AM)
That's an aggressive move upwards for Phegley. Has he been hitting well enough to belong in AAA?

Well, Flowers will be in Chicago a good long while. It might be roster expansion time before Castro is back anyway, so, he may be up here the rest of the season. So... do you give Lucy full time play, or give Phegley a chance to challenge himself?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 08:29 AM)
Well, Flowers will be in Chicago a good long while. It might be roster expansion time before Castro is back anyway, so, he may be up here the rest of the season. So... do you give Lucy full time play, or give Phegley a chance to challenge himself?

I guess that depends on how ready Josh is. I think you use him like Ozzie uses most rookies. At first try to match him up with good opportunities. Then if he responds to that, try to work him into the line up more often.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 07:45 AM)
That's an aggressive move upwards for Phegley. Has he been hitting well enough to belong in AAA?

Around .250, but the power numbers are good.