2011 Minor League Catch-All Thread

danman31

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently he was very pissed and still is about being demoted. He and his wife had given up their leased apartment when he went up to Charlotte. Now they're living with another couple. The White Sox at least had the decency to fly him back, albeit on a red eye, to Birmingham.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 01:00 AM)
He is starting to look like one of the farm's best players.

Well let's wait for him to start drawing some walks and/or hitting for power before we get too carried away. A .400+ BABIP can only carry you for so long.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
Hopefully they don't push too quickly. It would be nice if he didn't have to hit roadbumps in the system.

Yea, another Gordo type player who doesnt know how to handle slumps!

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 03:15 AM)
Well let's wait for him to start drawing some walks and/or hitting for power before we get too carried away. A .400+ BABIP can only carry you for so long.

Well you can't hit .400 basically without an BABIP that high.

QUOTE (LayelBurton @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 05:26 PM)
Jonathan (J.C.) Casey assigned to Bristol from Great Falls

Terry Doyle on the 7-Day disabled list retroactive to July 18, 2011.

Nasty blister.

Robin Ventura might feel like a rookie Friday night.

That's because Ventura, one of the Sox's best players in recent history, will start his duties as a special adviser to farm director Buddy Bell.

Ventura said he hasn't made any specific telephone calls since the Sox appointed him on June 6.

"Right now I'm new to it," Ventura said before leaving for Louisville, where he will watch the Sox's Triple-A Charlotte affiliate. "I have to feel comfortable. I know the coaches. I'm not going to try to change things."

Ventura said he will devote a portion of his duties to working with minor league players before games and then make in-game observations.

Link

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 01:57 PM)
I'd rather them learn those things in the minors versus the majors to be honest.

That's what I meant by it. I want a player to struggle at some point in the minors so they know how to handle that adversity.

Baseball America's Not So Hot Sheet:

• Dayan Viciedo, rf, White Sox. Viciedo went 1-for-4, reached on an error and scored a run in the Triple-A all-star game, but those are just warm memories with the way he's played since that exhibition game. The 22-year-old masher has done anything but in his last seven games for Charlotte, going 3-for-25 (.120) with nary an extra-base hit. The silver lining: Viciedo has drawn five walks (one intentional) and struck out three times in that time frame.

• Jared Mitchell, cf, White Sox. The 23rd overall pick in 2009, Mitchell won national championships in football and baseball with Louisiana State and took home most outstanding player honors at the '09 College World Series. He ranked as Chicago's top prospect heading into 2010 and was one of the most athletic players at White Sox camp that spring—but then he tore a tendon in his left ankle, forcing him to miss all of last season. Now 22, Mitchell has struggled mightily to make contact with high Class A Winston-Salem, striking out 128 times in his first 91 games. He hit rock bottom this past week, going 1-for-22 with 11 strikeouts. Mitchell has shown some pop upon his return—37 of his 77 hits have gone for extra bases—but his speed appears to have tapered off as he is just 6-for-10 in stolen bases. It's shaping up as an uphill battle for Mitchell to return to elite prospect status.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...11/2612126.html

Edited by DirtySox