2011 Minor League Catch-All Thread

danman31

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 10:14 PM)
Collin Kuhn moves up to Kanny. Nevin Griffith hits the DL, KW Jr. off the DL. Michael Restovich traded to Arizona.

Solid collection of hitting prospects in Kanny right now. Each of the 9 regulars (assuming Kuhn is a regular) is probably a top 50 guy in the system and then obviously Walker and Thompson.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 10:47 PM)
"Stewart will be optioned to Class AAA Charlotte."

From the Sox press release on the trade today.

I still think he's coming to Birmingham considering that there are three open roster spots.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)
No one here is going to agree with Sox web page of top prospects, but...

Viciedo

Escobar

Infante

Stewart

Short

Mitchell

Flowers

Phegley

Reed

Petricka

They really seem to place more value on being higher in the system versus potential at the lower levels.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)
Crud, now everyone I know is gone right before they come to Tennessee.

JPN, can you give me a heads up for guys to take a close look at next week?

Alternatively, if Zach Stewart winds up in Birmingham, can you tell me what day he's scheduled to go?

You've probably seen this, but here are the probables for the Barons-Smokies games:

Sunday: RHP Charles Shirek (2-4, 3.66) @ RHP Ryan Searle (2-2, 4.25)

Monday: LHP Hector Santiago (4-2, 4.54) @ RHP Marco Carrillo (4-1, 1.76)

Tuesday: LHP Charles Leesman (8-4, 3.74) @ RHP Trey McNutt (1-4, 4.82)

Wednesday: RHP Terry Doyle (3-4, 3.68) @ RHP Austin Bibens-Dirkx (1-1, 6.00)

Thursday: LHP Justin Edwards (3-4, 4.53) @ LHP Brooks Raley (6-8, 4.23)

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 11:01 PM)
Solid collection of hitting prospects in Kanny right now. Each of the 9 regulars (assuming Kuhn is a regular) is probably a top 50 guy in the system and then obviously Walker and Thompson.

Lost in the shuffle are Drew Lee (still #2 hitting middle infielder in the Sally) and Ross Wilson ( stuck in Bristol while rehabbing a shoulder injury). Have the sox decided to toss them on the scrap heap even though both are previous All-stars?

Viciedo tried taking batting practice 2-3 nights ago.

Still some soreness.

It's not related to the injury at all that he suffered in spring training.

KW told the Charlotte staff to be ultra-conservative with him and not let him play until he's 100% for fear he will change his swing to adjust for the pain and end up hurting himself more severely.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
I missed where anyone said it was a big deal.

Okay, it's not a big deal. But, Smith is one of our better 2011 signings, he hit very well at Bristol, others on this board (including me) thought he should be promoted, and he gets sent down in the food chain to G Falls. I was hoping one of our posters had some insight on the move.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)
Okay, it's not a big deal. But, Smith is one of our better 2011 signings, he hit very well at Bristol, others on this board (including me) thought he should be promoted, and he gets sent down in the food chain to G Falls. I was hoping one of our posters had some insight on the move.

Great Falls is technically above Bristol. The Pioneer League has a few more advanced rookie teams than the Appalachian League. The Sox use Great Falls as the top place for their older draft picks to play. It's a promotion, but it's not much of one.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 10:36 AM)
What prospects were discussed? I had it on but was attending to other things, missed some

Rozner asked about Dylan Axelrod. They talked about the Sox philosphy of getting players from anywhere. Mentioned Spencer Arroyo in that category.

It was mostly De Aza and Viciedo talk. I wish they would have asked about Tyler Kuhn.