2011 Minor League Catch-All Thread

danman31

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone think the Sox are looking at Addison Reed has the Chris Sale of 2012? Like maybe they plan to return Sale to a starting role next season, and hope they can get Reed to fulfill the bullpen role that Sale currently holds? Reed isn't a lefty, but he is dominating every level he has been to since he signed, is moving up the levels quickly, and was formerly a starter. He seems to go 2-3 innings each outing.

Or do the Sox purely see him as a future reliever who can go multiple innings? Because I'd really like to see Reed starting at some point.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 10:44 AM)
Reed's scouting report says plus slider, good fastball, below average change. That's why he's seen as a reliever.

Yep, he was impressive. Effortless, easy delivery of that 99 MPH fastball.

Edited by JPN366

I see a switch to first base or left field in Jon Gilmore's future. He's is one of the most awkward looking fielders I've ever seen. He also sub-marines all his throws to first base. I think I know why he doesn't hit for more power. He certainly hits the ball hard, but he hunches over when he's batting. He's a big, strong kid, has horse legs. I just think if he straightened up, he could drive the ball out of the park more.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 09:58 PM)
I see a switch to first base or left field in Jon Gilmore's future. He's is one of the most awkward looking fielders I've ever seen. He also sub-marines all his throws to first base. I think I know why he doesn't hit for more power. He certainly hits the ball hard, but he hunches over when he's batting. He's a big, strong kid, has horse legs. I just think if he straightened up, he could drive the ball out of the park more.

Really? I thought when we got him, he was supposed to be a plus fielder at 3B?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 09:54 PM)

Reed throws 99? s***, no wonder why he was blowing away people at every league so far. Hope that fastball has some movement. Would like to see Coop teach him a cutter, increase that repertoire.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 12:44 AM)
Reed throws 99? s***, no wonder why he was blowing away people at every league so far. Hope that fastball has some movement. Would like to see Coop teach him a cutter, increase that repertoire.

He was in KG's minor league update today. Notes a fastball that has consistently gotten into the upper 90s, with a low-80s slider with good movement and almost doubles as a changeup due to the velocity separation. Also thinks he could be in the Bigs by September.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
Good stuff about Reed. I'll take anything we can get.

Well, we need another righty in the pen. This kid is clearly on the fast track, looking at the brevity of his stops.

I still think KW will try to add a pen arm before the deadline at least, but who knows? Too early for a "what would you add?" thread, but really, I don't see or want any realistic upgrades in trade other than RHRP help, given that we haven't, and shouldn't, lose faith in our struggling players at those positions, with the possible exception of Pierre, who we might actually have a replacement for.

But that name, Addison, well he better get a nickname, cause that's a little too Cub. :gosox1:

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 08:54 PM)

That get's me amped.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
Um, I BELIEVE the part of that Law quote that you are forgetting is the part where Keith Law states specifically that Addison Reed has no chance to do anything in the majors because he plays for the Chicago White Sox.

I heard him suggest that for Halloween someone should dress up as Addison by wearing in all white and running around throwing baseballs wildly without ever throwing any of them on target.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
Winston-Salem Dash

This just in: three Winston-Salem Dash were named to the Carolina League All-Star Team when rosters were announced earlier today. RHP Andre Rienzo, OF Jose Martinez, and DH Ian Gac will represent the Carolina League when it takes on the California League All-Stars on Tuesday, June 21, in Modesto, CA.

Dash 1B/DH Andy Wilkins was added to the Carolina League All-Star team today, replacing Salem 1B Reynaldo Rodriguez (promoted to AA). Via @WSDashBaseball

I love minor league baseball.

For one night, fans of the Peoria Chiefs can have their own replica of LeBron James' first championship ring.

Call it the cheapest promotion in sports history because, like James' ring, the handout doesn't exist.

The Chiefs, a Class A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs in the Midwest League, will hold a LeBron James NBA Championship Replica Giveaway night on Thursday, poking fun at the Miami Heat star's loss in the NBA Finals to the Dallas Mavericks.

"Replica rings" -- also known as air -- will be handed out by stadium workers as fans enter the park, according to Chiefs spokesman Nathan Baliva.

Throughout the game, Peoria will honor "a true champion," the Chicago Bulls' six NBA titles with video clips and audio highlights and the Chiefs will take the field to "Sirius," the Alan Parson Project song used by the Bulls during their player introductions.

The Chiefs said they are "looking into" whether they can skip the fourth inning to poke fun at James, who scored just 18 points during the fourth quarter in six NBA Finals games.

"We aren't sure if the league will allow it," Peoria president Rocky Vonachen said in a statement. "But if LeBron doesn't need to show up for the fourth, maybe we won't either."

Among the other James promotional digs planned: A fan will win a "replica" of James' Finals MVP award (which actually went to the Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki), and Heimlich maneuver classes will be offered to help prevent people from "choking in a big situation."