2011 Minor League Catch-All Thread

danman31

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:08 AM)
Teams will sign guys to minor league contracts for six figures sometimes.

Josh Fields is getting over half a mil from Rockies for his minor league contract. Third base insurance policy.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 08:57 AM)
With the "Poreda" watch this week, can anyone shed some light on a question for me? If someone is on the 40-man roster do they get paid the major league minimum? I was in Memphis last year and Timo Perez was playing for the opposing team and someone said he is making six figures, how can that be?

First year on the 40 Man, you're paid $32k. 2nd year $65k. Sure beats the $1,300/month in AA.

Brett (Toronto): How fast does Holmberg throw and what is his ceiling? Thanks!

Matthew Eddy: The Diamondbacks report that they've seen Holmberg up to 94 mph this year, which if you know his history, you know that's a 3-4 mph jump. Arizona coveted his feel for pitching, so any additional velo will make him that much more effective.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...11/2611961.html

That trade just gets more and more depressing.

Also from that same BA article:

Kyle (Maine): Does Andrew Miller still have a chance to be a quality major league starter?

Matthew Eddy: Given what pitchers like Phil Humber and Jeremy Guthrie have accomplished after being written off, I would say just about anything is possible for Miller if you pair him with the right pitching coach and in the right situation. He's a tough look for lefty batters, so I could see him thriving in a relief role the rest of the way. Miller's three primary pitches have distinct velos and shape to them, and I have to say I'm kind of intrigued.

GET HIM KW!!! COOP'LL FIX 'EM!

Erik Johnson (2nd round pick out of California) is pitching right now on ESPN. I said when he was drafted that he reminded of Danny Wright based on numbers, height/weight and stuff. Now watching him pitch on TV, I am convinced he is Danny Wright 2.0. Has a very similar delivery. It's almost scary how much Johnson resembles Wright.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
Erik Johnson (2nd round pick out of California) is pitching right now on ESPN. I said when he was drafted that he reminded of Danny Wright based on numbers, height/weight and stuff. Now watching him pitch on TV, I am convinced he is Danny Wright 2.0. Has a very similar delivery. It's almost scary how much Johnson resembles Wright.

I really like Johnson. Lots of potential there. Real nice 2nd round pick and he had nice velocity which he sustained in the game. You can tell he's got some command issues, but overall, I think he's the type of guy the Sox can help out and really get a lot out of.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)

Wright was really turning into a nice pitcher until his surgery. If we get similar out of Johnson, I will be thrilled.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 10:13 PM)
I really like Johnson. Lots of potential there. Real nice 2nd round pick and he had nice velocity which he sustained in the game. You can tell he's got some command issues, but overall, I think he's the type of guy the Sox can help out and really get a lot out of.

A lot of people didn't seem to like the Johnson pick, but I'm with you, that was one of the few picks that I was quite happy with. His upside may not be sky high, but he's got decent velocity, a put-away breaking ball and a chance at an average or better change. He could move quickly and become a mid to back of rotation starter. I'll take that in the 2nd round.

So, which players do you guys think should be promoted now that we've reached the end of the 1st half? Position player wise, I'd say that Tyler Kuhn, Christian Marrero, Ian Gac, Jose Martinez, Dan Black, Brady Shoemaker, Juan Silverio, Drew Lee and Ross Wilson seem like obvious choices.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 12:06 AM)
So, which players do you guys think should be promoted now that we've reached the end of the 1st half? Position player wise, I'd say that Tyler Kuhn, Christian Marrero, Ian Gac, Jose Martinez, Dan Black, Brady Shoemaker, Juan Silverio, Drew Lee and Ross Wilson seem like obvious choices.

Position: Viciedo, Marrero, Kuhn, Shoemaker, Black, Silverio, R. Wilson (maybe Short, but would like to see him develop the discipline a bit more)

Pitchers: Thompson, Burnside, Arroyo, Remenowsky (Reinzo/Santiago/Petricka later on. They need more time/innings, maybe Leesman, but would like to see him with better control)

Most of those were just off the top of my head. (had to check on Silverio and Thompson)

Edited by SoxAce

Thought you might be interested in this story about the Great Falls Rookie League ballpark:

Centene Stadium reflects Great Falls' pride

Community-owned team invests $2.2 million in ballpark

By Sapna Pathak / Special to MLB.com

Professional baseball came to Great Falls, Mont., in 1940, but it wasn't until the 1950s when the city proved how far it would go to keep the game within its borders.

When Centene Stadium, formerly Legion Park, was built, it was done so thanks to former President Franklin D. Roosevelt's Civilian Conservation Corps. Young men charged with conserving America's soil produced one of Minor League Baseball's most quaint parks.

Since Centene Stadium was constructed using government funds, the act that created the CCC called for the facility to be owned by the taxpayers of Great Falls. After a decade and a half, however, baseball left the city-and the ballpark.

Enter the Great Falls Baseball Club Inc., a group of 100 businessman-and baseball lovers-that rescued their vacant and dilapidated ballpark. Each pledged $1,000 toward renovating Centene Stadium.

In 1965, the Dodgers sited a franchise in Great Falls, mending the union between baseball and the city. Today, the concrete beauty is home to the Great Falls White Sox, the Pioneer League affiliate of the Chicago White Sox.

The GFBC has full operating rights to the team, gaining no profits beyond paying its few full-time employees. It is one of the only true community-owned clubs in the country.

Centene Stadium has reaped the benefits from formation of the GFBC. In 2003, a $2.2 million renovation program was launched that is ongoing. Every aspect of the park, from concessions to seats to a new clubhouse, dugouts and bullpens, has been revamped.

A new picnic area down the right field line will join an existing group area near first base. In 2007, a kids play area will open where the visiting bleachers now sit. Clubhouses complete with weight rooms, umpire quarters and staff offices have been added as part of the project. A sleek handicapped-accessible restroom area is slated.

With such a large-scale renovation in progress, one could ask where all the money comes from.

Enter the Great Falls Baseball Foundation. A non-profit group formed by the GFBC, the foundation raises funds that are re-invested in the park and the team.

Of the $2.2 million required for the overhaul, only $600,000 has come from the city.

"The community wanted to keep baseball in Great Falls," said GFBC vice president Bill Harp. "We, the taxpayers, own the franchise and earned the Minor League affiliation, and there's no chance we're going to let baseball leave our city."

Great Falls sits along the Missouri River, getting its name from five major waterfalls, including one that's right outside the stadium parking lot.

Fans heading to Centene Stadium can not only check out prospects of the defending World Series champions but have the opportunity to visit the ballpark's two famous neighbors.

About a mile away is the Lewis and Clark Center. Fans can retrace the steps the famed explorers took while mapping out the western United States. Giant Springs, one of the world's largest natural springs, along with the shortest river in the country, are also near the stadium.

The C.M. Russell Museum, located within a mile and a half of the ballpark, gives fans a look at one of the country's most popular cowboys. Another feature on display, and most likely the proudest part of Centene Stadium, is a World Series ring given to members of the 2005 Chicago White Sox.

White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf decided to present the owners of every one of his Minor League affiliates with a World Series ring. So who got the ring in Great Falls?

"He called to find out the ring size and I said, 'Any size will do, we're just going to put it on display,'" Harp said. "I told him the community owns the team, so just send a ring and we'll make sure everyone gets a piece."

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)
Great Falls sits along the Missouri River, getting its name from five major waterfalls, including one that's right outside the stadium parking lot.

Nice.

Garrett Johnson, Jacob Petricka, Steven Sauer, & Johnny Nunez All listed as Rehab in Bristol.

Euclides Leyer, Jean Duque, Daurys Mercedes, & Carlos Sanchez promoted to Bristol from 2010 DSL White Sox

--(Duque had played 1 game with the DSL White Sox so far in 2011.)

Chase Blackwood now on restricted list.

QUOTE (LayelBurton @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 01:30 AM)
Garrett Johnson, Jacob Petricka, Steven Sauer, & Johnny Nunez All listed as Rehab in Bristol.

Euclides Leyer, Jean Duque, Daurys Mercedes, & Carlos Sanchez promoted to Bristol from 2010 DSL White Sox

--(Duque had played 1 game with the DSL White Sox so far in 2011.)

Chase Blackwood now on restricted list.

Not good, still haven't heard back from Bren about him.