2011 Minor League Catch-All Thread

danman31

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
Mitchell is awful.

I am overwhelmed by the staggering profundity of your artfully crated retort.

Yes, the guy coming off a terrible injury, and who by the way has started to hit quite well lately, and was already known to be raw on drafting him... is "awful".

Thanks for adding to the discussion.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)

Yes, the guy coming off a terrible injury, and who by the way has started to hit quite well lately, and was already known to be raw on drafting him... is "awful".

Wait, 1 for last 22 with 11 strike outs is nothing "hitting well lately". Virtually every scout that's seen him this year is very worried about him. I still don't get the whole injury angle either. Yes, I could see his speed being negated due to it, but you can't blame all this striking out solely on him missing a year. Strike outs were an issue with him coming into last season as well. I still have slight hope for him, but at this point, projecting him as ever being a MLB quality player is an extreme longshot.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)

He has played awful, and not up to the level of a 23rd overall pick, injury or not.

Does he have time to get it together over the next 2 years? Yes, but he'll be 24-25 years old at that point, and probably won't be anything special.

So we have to hope Keenyn Walker is the new OF/leadoff hope over the next few years.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)
Wait, 1 for last 22 with 11 strike outs is nothing "hitting well lately". Virtually every scout that's seen him this year is very worried about him. I still don't get the whole injury angle either. Yes, I could see his speed being negated due to it, but you can't blame all this striking out solely on him missing a year. Strike outs were an issue with him coming into last season as well. I still have slight hope for him, but at this point, projecting him as ever being a MLB quality player is an extreme longshot.

Thank you - someone willing to say something useful. I too am worried about his progress, but he went on a little hot streak until a week ago. Now he's back in the dumps.

I wasn't saying he was the next great thing - I was saying I find it hilarious when someone dives into a topic and delivers nothing but garbage.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 04:25 PM)
He has played awful, and not up to the level of a 23rd overall pick, injury or not.

Does he have time to get it together over the next 2 years? Yes, but he'll be 24-25 years old at that point, and probably won't be anything special.

So we have to hope Keenyn Walker is the new OF/leadoff hope over the next few years.

I guess I kind of saw this year as a loss with Mitchell anyway - an already very raw player who missed a year of development. He's certainly not playing at the level of a 23rd pick, no argument there. I think his chances of making it to the majors as a starter were already somewhat low, he was intended to be a high-risk, high-reward pick even before the injury. Now those chances go down even further. But I also think it isn't nearly time to write him off. If he looks like this next year too, then yeah, its time he becomes nothing more than a lottery ticket.

For a raw guy who missed a year to injury, I could care less if he's (for example) in AA at 24 vs 22.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
Did they just make a judgment on speed based on stolen base numbers?

Yes. They have no basis other than stats. I've pointed out many times, including discussions about Mitchell, that from what has been said he's recovering nicely from the injury. The White Sox were agressive in where they placed him following the injury and while it has taken him a while to respond White Sox execs believe he has been making progress.

Either way it is ridiculous to write him a prospect off based upon numbers produced in the year after a significant, season ending injury.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)

Not everything requires a detailed synopsis. It's like with Adam Dunn. The numbers speak for themselves. Mitchell has been terrible all year and has showed no signs whatsoever of improvement. You can only play the injury card to a certain degree. He's not whiffing at an Adam Dunn-like rate because of the injury. One of these days the White Sox will stop drafting football players to play baseball. Frank Thomas was an outlier.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 06:32 PM)
Not everything requires a detailed synopsis. It's like with Adam Dunn. The numbers speak for themselves. Mitchell has been terrible all year and has showed no signs whatsoever of improvement. You can only play the injury card to a certain degree. He's not whiffing at an Adam Dunn-like rate because of the injury. One of these days the White Sox will stop drafting football players to play baseball. Frank Thomas was an outlier.

Well he missed an entire year of baseball and development because of a terrible injury. I think it's fair to say he was going to be rusty the first year. I don't believe he will be an All-Star like I thought possibly once he was drafted. But to write him off as organizational filler is inane.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 06:47 PM)
Well he missed an entire year of baseball and development because of a terrible injury. I think it's fair to say he was going to be rusty the first year. I don't believe he will be an All-Star like I thought possibly once he was drafted. But to write him off as organizational filler is inane.

I didn't say that. I said he's been awful. And I'm not giving him an automatic pass because of the injury. I didn't expect him to be Mike Trout. But his performance has been quite discouraging.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 06:52 PM)
I didn't say that. I said he's been awful. And I'm not giving him an automatic pass because of the injury. I didn't expect him to be Mike Trout. But his performance has been quite discouraging.

Of course. You aren't changing your expectations at all. And it is funny you mention Trout, because every time Mitchell comes up, you mention Trout. Yes, it sounds like that is exactly what you expect.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 11:01 PM)
Of course. You aren't changing your expectations at all. And it is funny you mention Trout, because every time Mitchell comes up, you mention Trout. Yes, it sounds like that is exactly what you expect.

Should I have said Bryce Harper? I didn't expect him to obliterate high A. I didn't expect him to be this bad, either.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 11:06 PM)
yay?? It should have been Kanny.

Yeah I think so MaggsMaggs, but with Miguel Gonzalez getting the lionshare of the backstop, it's good for Smith to be progressing regardless, IMHO.

Speaking of progressing, I know he might be viewed as Organizational Depth, but c'mon, what's Brady Shoemaker got to keep doing in order to go to Winston Salem?

Edited by OilCan

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
Further cementing him as a lock to be in the Majors this year.

I actually disagree. My reason being his inning total. Tonight was his 58th inning of the year. Let's assume he is in Charlotte for at least 12 more innings, which is reasonable, then he would be coming into the majors at 70 innings pitched this year. I know he was a starter in college, but relief innings are different since it's an every-other-day thing. I think they will be cautious with him and not promote him to the Majors, also saving service time.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 08:34 PM)
I actually disagree. My reason being his inning total. Tonight was his 58th inning of the year. Let's assume he is in Charlotte for at least 12 more innings, which is reasonable, then he would be coming into the majors at 70 innings pitched this year. I know he was a starter in college, but relief innings are different since it's an every-other-day thing. I think they will be cautious with him and not promote him to the Majors, also saving service time.

September has nothing to do with service time. I'd be shocked if he isn't included in those call ups.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 08:47 PM)
September has nothing to do with service time. I'd be shocked if he isn't included in those call ups.

How many do we currently have on our 40 man roster? If he is added to the 40-man does that not impact service time or is it solely time with the big league club?