2011 Minor League Catch-All Thread

danman31

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)
FutureSox FutureSox.com

Kevan Smith rated 17th best Pioneer League prospect (was rated 20th in the Appy League). Scott Snodgress comes in at 14

Snodgress passes the smell test. He'll be a guy to watch next year. I'm pretty sure he was a player the Sox were considering with their supplemental pick, so perhaps it wasn't without due cause.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 23, 2011 -> 03:48 AM)
Snodgress passes the smell test. He'll be a guy to watch next year. I'm pretty sure he was a player the Sox were considering with their supplemental pick, so perhaps it wasn't without due cause.

Yeah I think a few people on here were confused with the pick considering his lack of college success, but a big lefty is always a good thing.

It's nearly impossible to evaluate this year's draft class. Between Johnson and Soptic barely pitching and McMillen getting hurt you have 3 of the top 4 picks still largely unknown. Walker was disappointing, but it's too early to give up on him. Then you have a few later sleepers. It's never easy to judge a draft after a few months, but I can't remember knowing less about a class at this point.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 23, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
It's never easy to judge a draft after a few months, but I can't remember knowing less about a class at this point.

If you were to knock out the first round in any of the last few years, would it wind up similar? We knew a lot about say...Sale and Beckham...but it took a while before the names "Daniel Hudson" and "Brent Morel" filtered through, for me at least.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 23, 2011 -> 04:30 PM)
If you were to knock out the first round in any of the last few years, would it wind up similar? We knew a lot about say...Sale and Beckham...but it took a while before the names "Daniel Hudson" and "Brent Morel" filtered through, for me at least.

Morel had a dominant two weeks in Great Falls and then held his own in Kannapolis. Last year Saladino did the same. Hudson put up 90 K in 69.2 IP. I guess for that matter we have Kevan Smith this year. I just think that since the 2nd 3rd and 4th rounder combined for less than 10 innings pitched and there is no true first rounder it seems more unknown to me. It's basically Kevan Smith, Snodgress and nothing. Blair Walters as a lefty is a possible sleeper, but that's still kind of a stretch.

Chicago White Sox

Traded: RHP Ricardo Andres and manager Ozzie Guillen to Marlins for RHP Jhan Marinez and SS Ozzie Martinez

Elected free agency: C Donny Lucy, OF Lastings Milledge

Recalled: RHP Anthony Carter, RHP Kyle Cofield, RHP Gregori Infante, RHP Nathan Jones, RHP Jhonny Nunez, LHP Hector Santiago, LHP Leyson Septimo

Removed from 40-man: RHP Jhonny Nunez (outrighted to Triple-A), C Donny Lucy (outrighted to Triple-A)

Assigned to Arizona Fall League: C Mike Blanke

Donny Lucy elected free agency? Kind of surprised there, I don't see him getting much of a shot anywhere at a major league job, or even a decent minor league starting job. I guess he's decided he needs to take one last shot at things in another org.

The Sox really like the guy by all accounts, he just can't hit major league pitching well enough to stick. I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up coaching somewhere in the Sox system in a few years.

Buddy Bell was on the radio this morning...

Said Jared Mitchell had a great Instructional League working with Laker and Manto. We'll see how that plays out next year.

Also mentioned Tyler Saladino. Said fans will love the way he plays the game. Pure baseball player.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 15, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)

Said Jared Mitchell had a great Instructional League working with Laker and Manto. We'll see how that plays out next year.

Crossing my fingers. It's getting close to do or die with him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)
Donny Lucy elected free agency? Kind of surprised there, I don't see him getting much of a shot anywhere at a major league job, or even a decent minor league starting job. I guess he's decided he needs to take one last shot at things in another org.

The Sox really like the guy by all accounts, he just can't hit major league pitching well enough to stick. I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up coaching somewhere in the Sox system in a few years.

Agreed, I've always thought that.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Oct 15, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
Crossing my fingers. It's getting close to do or die with him.

He's only played 1 full year of professional baseball. Next year is big for him because he has to show something otherwise be subjected to the Rule V, but I think they'll end up putting him on the 40-man regardless. I'm giving him 2 more years, but you do need to see some signs next year to have hope for him long term - and by signs, I'm talking about doing well at W-S or showing competency at Birmingham.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 15, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)

Also mentioned Tyler Saladino. Said fans will love the way he plays the game. Pure baseball player.

They have got to figure out a way to shorten that swing, and see if he has speed left.

• 5 weeks later...