2011 Minor League Catch-All Thread

danman31

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure I agree with Eduardo in Charlotte. Despite a decent showing in the AFL, his line in Birmingham wasn't all that inspiring. Why rush a guy who is clearly blocked at SS right now?

Also, the Birmingham roster is absolutely dreadful from a prospect standpoint. Yuck.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
Also, the Birmingham roster is absolutely dreadful from a prospect standpoint. Yuck.

Imagine having season tickets and knowing that KW Jr. could possibly get 500 at bats.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 12:19 PM)
Imagine having season tickets and knowing that KW Jr. could possibly get 500 at bats.

I mean even the players who are worth following aren't all that exciting. A 25 year old Nathan Jones, a few relief pitchers in Infante, and Remenowsky, a fringy Brandon Short, and a very questionable catcher in Phegley. I'm genuinely curious if there is less prospect-laden club at the AA level this season.

Pray for Mitchell to destroy W-S to earn a promotion I suppose.

Edited by DirtySox

I'm sort of excited for Nevin Griffith. The numbers tell me I shouldn't be that excited, but I can't help but like having a 22 year old in AA who might actually have some promise.

It's also a big step for Brandon Short. If he proves he can handle AA, he cements his status as a legitimate prospect. Definitely going to have to either continue hitting for power or improve his contact skills, because that .372 BABIP won't last.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 07:26 AM)
LOL, there are at least three players' names misspelled on that list.

That's not the weirdest thing though, check this link out and look at Kenny Williams Jr.'s number. There is no #6 jersey, but he's both #5 and #6.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 09:56 AM)
He has got to find a way to stay healthy.

Ya I'm not expecting much from him after that surgery which limits his slider (which was his best pitch, think Liriano like) but hopefully he keeps developing that change-up. He could be useful down the line.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
Ya I'm not expecting much from him after that surgery which limits his slider (which was his best pitch, think Liriano like) but hopefully he keeps developing that change-up. He could be useful down the line.

Perhaps they can just use the Felix rule with Griffith...don't let him throw the slider. It would make him work that much harder on the change, and if he doesn't completely lose the slider, it may make him into a dangerous pitcher down the road.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
Perhaps they can just use the Felix rule with Griffith...don't let him throw the slider. It would make him work that much harder on the change, and if he doesn't completely lose the slider, it may make him into a dangerous pitcher down the road.

I thought I read that he abandoned the slider entirely?

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)
Kenny Williams Jr leading off for Birmingham. I think that's all you need to know about the Sox minor league system.

I just picked up my tickets today... Suicide.gif

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)
Kenny Williams Jr leading off for Birmingham. I think that's all you need to know about the Sox minor league system.

...while Justin Greene and his ungodly bat speed ride the bench.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 07:12 AM)
I can only imagine the Soxtalk meltdown if that happened in our system.

That was a great article. Thanks. But, I don't understand what you mean about a meltdown.