Australia

Disco72

My wife and I are planning a trip to Australia for sometime this summer (May, June, or July). We're building the trip around 5 or 7 days on a live aboard on the Great Barrier Reef. Given schedules, we can probaby spend another week (maybe 10 days) in other parts of Australia. Any suggestions on "can't miss" things to see or do? We'd love to get to the outback, even briefly. A quick trip to Tasmania would be fun, but I'm not sure we can fit it in.

We'll probably fly into Sydney, then take flights around Australia on one of the local carriers (Qantas, Virgin Blue, JetStar, or Tiger). The only other city we'll be in for sure is Cairns, where we'll meet the live aboard.

I know there's people on here that have lived there that would be more help but I was there two years ago. Flew into Cairns and drove up to Port Douglas, which is an awesome resort town with access to the Reef. Although if you are gonna live on the Reef for a few days, I don't know if you need to stay there. The Reef is amazing though, also some cool rain forests up there. I was in Sydney as well, an great big city, plenty to see there as well. I did my domestic flying via Virgin Blue and had no issues, everything was pretty easy. In fact, the domestic airline security is much more lax than it is here.

Cairns is a great embarkation point for a lot of great destinations other than GBR. Port Douglas, the Atherton Tablelands, Dantree National Park, and Cape Tribulation are all within easy access. One of the most phenomenal places I have ever visited.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 01:58 PM)
My wife and I are planning a trip to Australia for sometime this summer (May, June, or July). We're building the trip around 5 or 7 days on a live aboard on the Great Barrier Reef. Given schedules, we can probaby spend another week (maybe 10 days) in other parts of Australia. Any suggestions on "can't miss" things to see or do? We'd love to get to the outback, even briefly. A quick trip to Tasmania would be fun, but I'm not sure we can fit it in.

We'll probably fly into Sydney, then take flights around Australia on one of the local carriers (Qantas, Virgin Blue, JetStar, or Tiger). The only other city we'll be in for sure is Cairns, where we'll meet the live aboard.

Went there a few years ago for a few weeks, loved it! Do note that their seasons are opposite our seasons, so you're actually going during their "winter". Summer in Australia begins in late October and into what would be our Winter (November-January). Keep this in mind, because although it won't be "cold" in the northern areas of Australia during the months you are planning, it WILL be cold in Sydney, etc...which are coastal/mid/southern. Everything is opposite there. So don't expect 85+ degree weather...it can get quite cold there during the months you are planning.

The problem with seeing the Outback is it cannot really be "brief", as it's not close to any of the other popular areas like Sydney/Cairns (pronounces Cans).

Thanks for the replies everybody!

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 09:39 AM)
The problem with seeing the Outback is it cannot really be "brief", as it's not close to any of the other popular areas like Sydney/Cairns (pronounces Cans).

Yeah, that's our problem. If we're gonna spend that much time on the dive boat, it makes it hard to see much else considering the distance between everything. We're hoping to hit a couple of other cool things while realizing we'll also miss lots of great stuff.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 01:52 PM)
Thanks for the replies everybody!

Yeah, that's our problem. If we're gonna spend that much time on the dive boat, it makes it hard to see much else considering the distance between everything. We're hoping to hit a couple of other cool things while realizing we'll also miss lots of great stuff.

In relative size, Australia is pretty much the same exact size as the US. So driving from one area to another (such as the Outback) is quite a trek.

Keep in mind what I said about the seasons...but so long as you remain near the Northern coast you should be ok...but Sydney won't be very warm that time of year.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)
In relative size, Australia is pretty much the same exact size as the US. So driving from one area to another (such as the Outback) is quite a trek.

Keep in mind what I said about the seasons...but so long as you remain near the Northern coast you should be ok...but Sydney won't be very warm that time of year.

I was mostly concerned about the weather (and water temperature) in the north, but your comments about the Sydney, etc are spot on.

Pretty much what everyone has said is spot on.

If you are going to stay at the Reef, the Whitsunday Islands are your best bet (such as Hamilton Island, Long Island, Dunk Island etc.) Further north is Cairns and Port Douglas, be warned they've had lots of cyclones and hurricanes recently in that area though. Really beautiful place though, you've got the beach and the rainforest all in 1 setting basically. Townsville and Mackay are other options also in that area.

An underrated place to visit is the Sunshine Coast, just north of Brisbane. About 25 miles of beach, about 6 towns along it, good holiday spot places such as Noosa and Mooloolaba. Brisbane's an hour and a half drive south from there, and another hour south is the Gold Coast (another good beach holiday spot).

The Eastern Seaboard is really the way to go. Sydney obviously, Melbourne's an hour flight SW of Sydney (Sydney's more of a touristy town though, but Melbourne is excellent to check out nonetheless).