2011 NFL Lockout Thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 08:49 AM)
Speaking of the Dolphins, Brandon Marshalls wife stabbed him last night.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6414256

No vital organs pierced, he should be ok

Glad he's ok. That's about the least surprising off the field NFL news you'll find right there though.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 23, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
Glad he's ok. That's about the least surprising off the field NFL news you'll find right there though.

what an asshole, at least hes not dead

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 02:45 AM)
I just wanna throw this out there, but there is a rumor floating around on the Dolphins message boards that the judge might order the lockout to be lifted on Monday..

This would mean they would just play this season under last years CBA rules..

Then the owners just appeal and it goes back and forth for a century like everything else in our broken system.

Link

And now comes Nelson's decision to lift the injunction.

"[T]he public ramifications of this dispute exceed the abstract principles of the antitrust laws, as professional football involves many layers of tangible economic impact, ranging from broadcast revenues down to concessions sales," she wrote. "And, of course, the public interest represented by the fans of professional football -- who have a strong investment in the 2011 season -- is an intangible interest that weighs against the lockout. In short, this particular employment dispute is far from a purely private argument over compensation."

If her ruling stands, it is still unclear exactly what happens next. The collective bargaining agreement has expired, so how the league would handle free agency, trades and offseason workouts at team headquarters, all of which were banned under the lockout, remains to be seen.

The NFL even argued to Nelson that stopping the lockout would open all 32 teams up to additional antitrust claims simply for working together to solve the labor dispute. Antitrust claims carry triple damages for any harm proven, meaning hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake.

But with appeals expected, the fight seems likely to drag on through the spring and, possibly, into the summer. The closer it gets to August, when training camps and the preseason get into full swing, the more likely it becomes that regular season games will be lost.

I'm not sure the legal logic is wrong, but man that's Bizarre. Thats a whole lot of statutes being brought to bear here.

I'm wondering whether there isn't a good chance this drags things out longer, if this decision is stayed on appeal.

I feel as if there's a George Carlin joke in all of this...In football, when there's a labor issue, a judge tells them to end the lockout. In baseball, they just let it go on and on. I sure he could've said it better, but you get the gist.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
I feel as if there's a George Carlin joke in all of this...In football, when there's a labor issue, a judge tells them to end the lockout. In baseball, they just let it go on and on. I sure he could've said it better, but you get the gist.

Um, I believe that a judge also ended the 1994-95 baseball strike. That Judge is now on the Supreme Court.

Roger Goodell wrote an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal blowing s*** way out of proportion, distorting, and bulls***ting. Literally everything he wrote was bulls***.

The parts I found particularly amusing: it was the OWNERS that didn't like the status quo, the players were cool with it, but he's pinning the whole thing on the players like they want a radical overhaul of the system - and, he talks about the union lawyers like they're some sinister bad guys cynically out for personal gain. Ummm as if the NFL doesn't have a god damn army of its own lawyers. Nicely done, Goodell, you have surpassed Bud Selig for s***tiness in a league commisisoner

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 26, 2011 -> 11:35 PM)
Roger Goodell wrote an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal blowing s*** way out of proportion, distorting, and bulls***ting. Literally everything he wrote was bulls***.

The parts I found particularly amusing: it was the OWNERS that didn't like the status quo, the players were cool with it, but he's pinning the whole thing on the players like they want a radical overhaul of the system - and, he talks about the union lawyers like they're some sinister bad guys cynically out for personal gain. Ummm as if the NFL doesn't have a god damn army of its own lawyers. Nicely done, Goodell, you have surpassed Bud Selig for s***tiness in a league commisisoner

The players and the owners are both assholes

They BOTH want more money, they BOTH dont care about the fans.. hopefully we just get football this fall

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 03:05 AM)
The players and the owners are both assholes

They BOTH want more money, they BOTH dont care about the fans.. hopefully we just get football this fall

Of course, that is always going to be the case. If there is a side that has deserved some sympathy in this, it's the players.

Nate Jackson wrote a great piece for Deadspin today, obviously from a player's perspective so it's biased, but it's very much worth a read.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 03:28 AM)
Of course, that is always going to be the case. If there is a side that has deserved some sympathy in this, it's the players.

Nate Jackson wrote a great piece for Deadspin today, obviously from a player's perspective so it's biased, but it's very much worth a read.

The players don't deserve anything, they are EMPLOYEES and wouldn't even be making s*** if it weren't for the billionaires that own the teams they are employed too..

Unless it was total BS, the reported offer from the owners sounded more than fair

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 04:34 AM)
The players don't deserve anything, they are EMPLOYEES and wouldn't even be making s*** if it weren't for the billionaires that own the teams they are employed too..

Unless it was total BS, the reported offer from the owners sounded more than fair

The billionaire owners wouldn't be billionaires if they didn't have elite athletes playing for them either.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 03:34 AM)

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 07:27 AM)
I didn't realize all the owners made their billions from their NFL franchises.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 07:42 AM)
Yeah, he has got you there.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 07:19 AM)
The billionaire owners wouldn't be billionaires if they didn't have elite athletes playing for them either.

Lost may have phrased it wrong, but the point stands: NFL teams wouldn't generate any revenue without the players. Why shouldn't they be entitled to a large share of the profits since they're the ones putting their bodies and health on the line and actually bringing the fans in?

The players were happy to play under the old agreement, but the owners wanted to end that agreement and hold on to an extra couple billion dollars. Anything offered by the owners that was short of the previous agreement meant that the players would be getting less of a share than they did before. Demanding an extra 2 billion and then coming back and saying "oh, ok, we'll only take an extra billion off the top!" isn't a good deal for the players. The owners refuse to justify crying poor, so the players rightfully resisted giving up a share of the profits.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)
Lost may have phrased it wrong, but the point stands: NFL teams wouldn't generate any revenue without the players. Why shouldn't they be entitled to a large share of the profits since they're the ones putting their bodies and health on the line and actually bringing the fans in?

The players were happy to play under the old agreement, but the owners wanted to end that agreement and hold on to an extra couple billion dollars. Anything offered by the owners that was short of the previous agreement meant that the players would be getting less of a share than they did before. Demanding an extra 2 billion and then coming back and saying "oh, ok, we'll only take an extra billion off the top!" isn't a good deal for the players. The owners refuse to justify crying poor, so the players rightfully resisted giving up a share of the profits.

I'm as pro-player as you are here (is that a brand?) but let's also remember one other detail. After Upshaw and Tagliabue, both sides made decisions to ready themselves for a confrontation, and set themselves up in a way that guaranteed one.

The Owners negotiated an agreement in 2006 that allowed them a chance to prepare to break the union, a-la what happened in the NHL and NBA. They brought in the guy who ran the owners side in the NHL lost season. They negotiated (illegal) TV contracts to try to cover their own tails while they strove to break the Union.

The Players responded by bringing in DeMaurice Smith, a labor dispute litigator.

Both sides set themselves up for a lockout. As I said I side with the players more than the owners, but let's not pretend that the players didn't take steps in that direction too.