2011 NFL Lockout Thread

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An important bit for a lot of teams...

Prepare for free-agency frenzy: If and when an agreement is reached, all players whose contracts have expired and have four or more years of experience are expected to be unrestricted free agents. (There was a 6-year requirement for free agency in 2010.) That is going to create the potential for an insane July. The hope would be to open training camps on time and maybe start free agency around July 15. Colts owner Jim Irsay came out of the meeting very positive, which indicates there won’t be a major change in the franchise player policy. Quarterback Peyton Manning is the Colts’ franchise player, but he’s also a plaintiff in the lawsuit against the league. Irsay had to worry about a settlement that made Manning a free agent. The Colts can’t afford to lose Manning, and the league can’t afford to lose Irsay’s vote on the agreement.

A few teams who hold training camp on a college campus have moved their training camps if/when the 2011 season starts. I wouldn't be shocked if Bears made similar announcement soon since if the start of season is delayed and school has to get ready for students to get back, can't have Bears running facility.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
A few teams who hold training camp on a college campus have moved their training camps if/when the 2011 season starts. I wouldn't be shocked if Bears made similar announcement soon since if the start of season is delayed and school has to get ready for students to get back, can't have Bears running facility.

That won't be announced until they know when TC starts.

Link

Optimism is waning after four consecutive days of negotiations concluded Thursday between NFL owners and players and was described as trending "backwards," player sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

Player sources said owners have reneged on a simplified formula that would have given players 48 percent of all revenue.

Player sources reaffirmed that a setback in talks occurred when owners last week went "retro" on the formula that will divide the estimated $9.3 billion in annual revenue. Whereas the players believed the two sides had reached an understanding on a simplified formula in which they would receive 48 percent of all revenue, sources say owners re-introduced its previous formual by asking for $400 million-to-$500 million in expenses credits off the top.

Players calculate that under the owners' proposal, it would leave them with approximately with a 45 percent take on revenue, an "unacceptable" amount that one player source said "sets us back to March 11 ... before the lockout."

A management source said the owners have not reneged on any revenue split, claiming "it's a negotiation, which is always subject to change"

Chris Harris sent me a friend request... that made me smile. He's cool as s***, really down-to-earth and interacts with the fans a lot. He's sending his top 10 fans an autograph (I'm one, yay me)

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 09:32 PM)
Chris Harris sent me a friend request... that made me smile. He's cool as s***, really down-to-earth and interacts with the fans a lot. He's sending his top 10 fans an autograph (I'm one, yay me)

That is f***ing awesome. Maybe if you make it back to Chicago, you can go out clubbing with him. Just don't tell the wife.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 3, 2011 -> 07:17 AM)
I couldnt find the embed code on this video, but everyone should watch this

Jon Gruden says weird s*** to Terrelle Pryor

Wow, that is odd. I must say, Gruden seems like a fun guy though...I saw something several years ago where he was discussing a lot of what went on in the 2003 playoffs and Super Bowl when his Bucs won it, and it was a lot of the same goofy s***. Dude just loves football and being around football teams.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
There's rumors abound that if/when the lockout is finally over, the Bears have a contract agreement with Cullen Jenkins in place.

I can't imagine that would be true. Would the Bears have been able to have any communication with Cullen? If it did happen, I'd have to imagine someone would be putting in a complaint to the league.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
I can't imagine that would be true. Would the Bears have been able to have any communication with Cullen? If it did happen, I'd have to imagine someone would be putting in a complaint to the league.

Cmon now, its just like college football you know teams are talking to their own players and f/a's behind the scenes.

Baseless speculation here cribbed from ESPN Insider, but hey, it's a lockout and I'm bored.

Anyway, what about making a move for Hanyesworth to bolster up the Bears DTs? Presumably he wouldn't cost much trade-wise - random guess would indicate a third or fourth rounder or something like that.

There's serious questions about attitude, motor, whatever you want to call it, but I think he's got something to prove at this point. A chip on your shoulder is always a good thing. Besides that, the guy has always been a beast DT in the 4-3, could be extremely likely that the major source of his angst was playing in a 3-4. Also have to think Marinelli would be a good influence on him.

Thoughts? This more crazy than I think it is? I was shocked to see that according to the metrics he's theoretically playing at a high level over the last 3 years, could be BS, but interesting to think about.

Carolina is evidently looking for a 3rd or 4th rounder for Steve Smith. If we were trading a pick, I'd much rather go after Smith. I will point out I personally don't want us to make any trades because I want the club to keep its picks.

I would like the team to take a serious look at Santonio Holmes and a guard.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
Carolina is evidently looking for a 3rd or 4th rounder for Steve Smith. If we were trading a pick, I'd much rather go after Smith. I will point out I personally don't want us to make any trades because I want the club to keep its picks.

I would like the team to take a serious look at Santonio Holmes and a guard.

I would say no to Steve Smith because I am sick of watching 5'9" WR's run all over the field for the Bears. Get a bigger guy. Bennett is a start, but Knox and Hester don't do anything for me. Vincent Jackson anyone?

QUOTE (Fotop @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 01:02 AM)
Baseless speculation here cribbed from ESPN Insider, but hey, it's a lockout and I'm bored.

Anyway, what about making a move for Hanyesworth to bolster up the Bears DTs? Presumably he wouldn't cost much trade-wise - random guess would indicate a third or fourth rounder or something like that.

There's serious questions about attitude, motor, whatever you want to call it, but I think he's got something to prove at this point. A chip on your shoulder is always a good thing. Besides that, the guy has always been a beast DT in the 4-3, could be extremely likely that the major source of his angst was playing in a 3-4. Also have to think Marinelli would be a good influence on him.

Thoughts? This more crazy than I think it is? I was shocked to see that according to the metrics he's theoretically playing at a high level over the last 3 years, could be BS, but interesting to think about.

Haynesworth is just a huge piece of s*** at this point in his career. Everyone can say he stopped trying because of Shanahan and the 3-4 D, but the truth is, he was never going to try from the get go. Shanahan and their scheme was just his excuse.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
Obviously I have a scarlet and gray boner for Santonio, but he's also a great receiver and runs really good routes with speed. He would be a good guy in our offense.

You might want to see a doctor about that...

Everyone in the Rams organization is optimistic that they will play sooner than later, but I am not buying it. They are conducting business as usual but I sit there and just read the news thinking, there's no way that everything will start on time. Supposedly July 15th is the deadline for the CBA to be accepted by both sides so that the season can start on time. Free agency is going to have to be faster than lightning...I don't see how they are going to do it.