2011 NFL Lockout Thread

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
Everyone in the Rams organization is optimistic that they will play sooner than later, but I am not buying it. They are conducting business as usual but I sit there and just read the news thinking, there's no way that everything will start on time. Supposedly July 15th is the deadline for the CBA to be accepted by both sides so that the season can start on time. Free agency is going to have to be faster than lightning...I don't see how they are going to do it.

i think free agency will be quick, and i think a lot of these teams know who they want, and the players know where they want to go

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the schedule as it stands now.

A few more days of meetings now. Then, meetings shift to D.C. Later this week, the process shifts back to Minnesota for one last mandatory arbitration session. The arbitrator will basically ask if they have a deal in place or not. If they have an effective deal, it's done. If not, then its trouble.

There is an owners meeting scheduled in Atlanta for July 21. At that meeting, the owners need to approve the new CBA. If that happens, then the Bears and Rams somehow can start camp immediately and perhaps be ready in 2 weeks for the Hall of Fame game, perhaps with the oddity of the Bears and Rams actually having open camps during the free agency week.

If any of those deadlines are missed, then the hall of fame game is missed, and the league begins losing money. They lose about $250 million that first week if they miss that game.

It looks like the Bears will HAVE TO spend at least ~30 mil, I had no idea their cap situation was so strong. Could be an exciting (and obviously fast) free agency period for the Bears once the CBA is agreed to.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
It looks like the Bears will HAVE TO spend at least ~30 mil, I had no idea their cap situation was so strong. Could be an exciting (and obviously fast) free agency period for the Bears once the CBA is agreed to.

For all the talk that happens about them being cheap...they're also incredibly smart about where they spend their money. Even guys who are on "Bad" contracts for the Bears are still productive guys.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)

They were pretty smart to go into this CBA ending with a low number knowing that the cap was coming down.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
For all the talk that happens about them being cheap...they're also incredibly smart about where they spend their money. Even guys who are on "Bad" contracts for the Bears are still productive guys.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 03:21 PM)
They were pretty smart to go into this CBA ending with a low number knowing that the cap was coming down.

All these posts with the Bears and the word "smart". Very confusing and unfamiliar.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 04:42 PM)
All these posts with the Bears and the word "smart". Very confusing and unfamiliar.

I think the current Bears FO has done a very solid job of playing the FA market. They haven't bought in on guys who busted big time, they've spent the money it takes to keep their own guys around, and they've allowed themselves to bring in upgrades when needed/available.

It's the Bears' drafting you can criticize. In this NFL, you don't win very often through the FA market, you win by hitting in the draft, and maybe you supplement on the FA market if there's a good fit.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 05:01 PM)
Vincent Jackson and Cullen Jenkins will make me celebrate.

What are the rules Re: Vincent Jackson's availability if they go back to the old FA rules? Would that make him unrestricted?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)
What are the rules Re: Vincent Jackson's availability if they go back to the old FA rules? Would that make him unrestricted?

I think he's unrestricted regardless. Not sure though.

If he is restricted somehow, Mike Sims-Walker would be an okay player to get. The Bears need a taller receiver to pair up with Knox and Hester.

I'm also hoping the Bears finally get a stable OLB besides Briggs. Tinoisamoa didn't really work out and Nick Roach is well...Nick Roach. If the Bears are really going to spend $30 million on free agents, they should be able to address their needs in the secondary, get at DT, and get a big target Cutler can throw to.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 09:14 PM)
He's just an attention whore who says all the wrong s*** so people will give him what he wants...attention.

He's the type of dumbass that would be in jail if he didn't have steroids raging through his veins. I had a nice laugh at him complaining about Cushing's steroid use.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 09:51 PM)
He's the type of dumbass that would be in jail if he didn't have steroids raging through his veins. I had a nice laugh at him complaining about Cushing's steroid use.

Pretty much. He got in a lot of trouble during his high school years. He's lucky to have made it to the NFL.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 10:14 PM)
He's just an attention whore who says all the wrong s*** so people will give him what he wants...attention.

Pretty much sums it up.

Him not going to the White House was another attention whoring episode.