Southwest Region

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good riddance to Cole, McCamey, and Tisdale. Davis I actually wish we had you back. That game was there for the taking if McCamey and Tisdale didn't fail miserably at making open jumpers. This Kansas team is not a great team. College basketball is so freaking awful this year.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 03:55 AM)
Good riddance to Cole, McCamey, and Tisdale. Davis I actually wish we had you back. That game was there for the taking if McCamey and Tisdale didn't fail miserably at making open jumpers. This Kansas team is not a great team. College basketball is so freaking awful this year.

How in the hell is Tyrel Reed a starting guard in D1...and for Kansas? Outside of Morris twins and Taylor, Kansas played awful tonight.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)

Cole I thought was actually a pretty good glue guy. McCamey, Tisdale and Davis were supposed to be All-Big 10-caliber players, but never did s*** this year. I can't wait til we get a guy like Tracey Abrams next year who brings that toughness and win-at-all-costs attitude.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 09:49 PM)
annnnnnnnnd, they're done. f*** you seniors. Way to wait until the last 2 games of your careers to give a s***.

I don't think that's necessarily a fair assessment, especially to Mike Davis who really had a pretty good season. Lack of effort is always the first thing fans blame and coaches seem to like to pin bad performances on it as well (I guess because it is theoretically correctable while lack of talent isn't).

I don't think I can be labeled as an apologist for Weber or Illinois, and I have to say that I think they had decent tournament run. Beating UNLV was an actual accomplishment and they played decently against Kansas in a hostile atmosphere for most of the game. The final score is lopsided, but I think if you watched the game you wouldn't think Illinois should be embarrassed by their performance against a very good Kansas team.

Overall, I think the season probably was a disappointment -- a sweet sixteen berth seems like it would have been fair bar to set. Illinois failed to do that mostly because they didn't play well enough in the regular season to get a favorable seeding. But I have to admit they were a better team than I thought they were.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 09:58 PM)
I don't think that's necessarily a fair assessment, especially to Mike Davis who really had a pretty good season. Lack of effort is always the first thing fans blame and coaches seem to like to pin bad performances on it as well (I guess because it is theoretically correctable while lack of talent isn't).

I don't think I can be labeled as an apologist for Weber or Illinois, and I have to say that I think they had decent tournament run. Beating UNLV was an actual accomplishment and they played decently against Kansas in a hostile atmosphere for most of the game. The final score is lopsided, but I think if you watched the game you wouldn't think Illinois should be embarrassed by their performance against a very good Kansas team.

Overall, I think the season probably was a disappointment -- a sweet sixteen berth seems like it would have been fair bar to set. Illinois failed to do that mostly because they didn't play well enough in the regular season to get a favorable seeding. But I have to admit they were a better team than I thought they were.

This is fair. They were in the game for a little over 30 minutes and had a ton of chances to really make it a game but just couldn't hit the one big shot. Effort wasn't the issue tonight but Tisdale and McCamey were just awful.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 09:58 PM)

Sweet 16 should have been a minimum for this team. They had 4 seniors, the reigning freshman of the year and a blue chip recruit (headcase or not). At the start of the season McCamey looked like an all-american candidate, then he forgot how to play basketball. Davis has been better down the stretch, but he was absent most of the big ten season. Tisdale...well, it's Tisdale. Skilled, good shooter, blah blah. In his 4 years his hack-first defense has cost Illinois too many games to remember. His major contribution to the program was eating a 5k calorie a day diet. Cole I actually think became a really solid reserve/6th man. He's the glue guy that a good team needs. I wouldn't mind him back for one more year.

Great win against UNLV and a solid effort tonight, no doubt. That's why it's so upsetting. They show flashes of being a really, really good team. They could have folded (as expected) after the first 5 minutes. But they didn't. They could have folded the 3-4 times Kansas stretched the lead, but they didn't. Kudos for that. But had they been playing with the energy and drive they showed in the last two games throughout the season they would have had a better seed with a realistic shot of going far in the tournament. Instead they played down to their competition and went like 1-9 in games decided in the last few minutes. At some point its not skill that wins you those games, it's desire and hunger. They simply did not have that.

I'm guessing if you asked Weber about this year he'd say it was his most difficult at Illinois (in terms of dealing with the team). I don't think there was ever much of a "team." I think it was different factions that just played together. Next year will be interesting. Not one senior on the roster if my memory is right.

Edited by Jenksismybitch