Southwest Region

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 09:56 PM)
How in the hell is Tyrel Reed a starting guard in D1...and for Kansas? Outside of Morris twins and Taylor, Kansas played awful tonight.

There aren't many teams that can both defend and outrebound the Morris twins. They also have enough shooters that one of them is bound to be hot. That said, I agree they are beatable. They're just a tough matchup for so much of the country.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 10:59 PM)
Well I was right about ND losing, just got the team they'd lose to wrong, ha.

You and I both. It's painful being able to say I told you Notre Dame sucked, but then not getting credit in my bracket for it.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 11:02 PM)
The shots didn't fall for Illinois tonight. That game was there for the taking.

How dare you! You are suppose to blame the refs for Illinois lack of success this year. Get with the program!

Another year of Illinois basketball in the books, another disappointing result. (More so the overall season, not the loss to a far superior opponent) They just couldn't get over that 4-point hump with a big shot when they needed it. And of course, their lack of any strength in the post made stopping the Morris twins impossible. Tisdale & DMac had bad games, but at least the effort was there, which was half the battle this year.

The pressure is now on Bill Self, as Illinois will be the only single-digit seed they face before the Final Four. If they don't beat Richmond & VCU/FSU, they locals in Lawrence are not gonna be happy.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 10:02 PM)
The shots didn't fall for Illinois tonight. That game was there for the taking.

Ehh I think the shots weren't falling in large part due to Kansas' defense. The Illini weaknesses were on full display in that game (Mike and Mike getting destroyed inside because they're both as soft as interior players come, the teams inability to beat anybody of relevance if McCamey isn't scoring, inability to draw fouls and get to the line regularly, etc). I actually give them credit because the effort was there, but Kansas is just a much better team. The issue isn't Illinois losing to a team like that as much as it is they shouldn't have been a 9 seed having to play such a team in the round of 32.

It's okay though, I hope the seniors are proud. They left a legacy of absolutely nothing except lack of leadership, effort, accomplishment, and a bunch of empty numbers. In the long run, the younger guys on this team may be better off without them. Heck, they may be better off without Richmond too.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 02:42 PM)
Ehh I think the shots weren't falling in large part due to Kansas' defense. The Illini weaknesses were on full display in that game (Mike and Mike getting destroyed inside because they're both as soft as interior players come, the teams inability to beat anybody of relevance if McCamey isn't scoring, inability to draw fouls and get to the line regularly, etc). I actually give them credit because the effort was there, but Kansas is just a much better team. The issue isn't Illinois losing to a team like that as much as it is they shouldn't have been a 9 seed having to play such a team in the round of 32.

It's okay though, I hope the seniors are proud. They left a legacy of absolutely nothing except lack of leadership, effort, accomplishment, and a bunch of empty numbers. In the long run, the younger guys on this team may be better off without them. Heck, they may be better off without Richmond too.

Even though McCamey had solid numbers, I thought he made this team worse when he was on the court. Poor defense and poor judgments on the court in transition. I would much rather have Jereme run the point assuming he gets his issues fixed.

I would love to see this lineup next year:

PG-Richmond

G-Richardson

G-Paul

F-Griffey

C-Leonard

I think next year, Illinois is going to have a ton of problems inside. Leonard didn't do anything to justify his hype this year except a couple of exciting plays here and there. Looked lost. Hopefully he can get much better. I really liked Griffey last year, but for whatever reason he didn't get much time this year. Mike Shaw is gonna be key. He has a college-ready body, so he could play big minutes next year.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
Even though McCamey had solid numbers, I thought he made this team worse when he was on the court. Poor defense and poor judgments on the court in transition. I would much rather have Jereme run the point assuming he gets his issues fixed.

So, I don't want this to sound too critical but did you watch Richmond this season? He repeatedly showed poor judgment passing the ball and had some truly awful turnovers. It's true that he can bring the ball up court against opposing 3s and 4s but I don't think that should be confused with the ability to play point guard. Illinois has to hope Maniscalco and Abrams (and maybe Paul) can play point. Actually, it would be a great opportunity for Paul who needs to improve his ball skills to have a shot at the league.

Also, I think there's a very good chance Richmond is gone after this season.

In truth, Illinois has huge problems next season at the C, PF, and PG spots. If Weber manages to get a sweet sixteen appearance out of that group he'll have done a good job coaching.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 11:30 PM)
Why do these college kids feel the need to always pass it back out when driving towards the rim?

Derwin Kitchen has done that 3 times already in this tournament. How he ends up with the ball at the end of halves is beyond me. He can't even get shots off. It's hilarious and sad at the same time.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 12:34 AM)
Derwin Kitchen has done that 3 times already in this tournament. How he ends up with the ball at the end of halves is beyond me. He can't even get shots off. It's hilarious and sad at the same time.

Hamilton looked amazed that he would pass that shot up.

Hmm two mid-majors in the elite 8. VCU, on paper, should get absolutely spanked by Kansas. But heck, George Mason was an 11 seed from the CAA and they shocked mighty UConn. For VCU to win 4 games to get to the elite 8 is rather amazing though, I thought it'd be a long time before we saw a play-in game team in the elite 8. I don't think Butler is a Cinderella at all, but VCU certainly is.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 10:55 PM)
Hmm two mid-majors in the elite 8. VCU, on paper, should get absolutely spanked by Kansas. But heck, George Mason was an 11 seed from the CAA and they shocked mighty UConn. For VCU to win 4 games to get to the elite 8 is rather amazing though, I thought it'd be a long time before we saw a play-in game team in the elite 8. I don't think Butler is a Cinderella at all, but VCU certainly is.

That UConn team was really talented but they were really vulnerable too. I love what VCU has done but I really can't see them getting by this KU team, hope I'm wrong.

Just something of note too: VCU has beaten a team from the Pac 10, Big 10, Big East and ACC so far this tournament, obviously they're facing a team from the Big 12 in Kansas and if they can somehow pull that off, they could possibly play a team from the SEC in the final four. So in theory, it's possible for them to beat a team from each of the power 6 conferences on route to the National Title game. Kinda Crazy.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 10:57 PM)
That UConn team was really talented but they were really vulnerable too. I love what VCU has done but I really can't see them getting by this KU team, hope I'm wrong.

Just something of note too: VCU has beaten a team from the Pac 10, Big 10, Big East and ACC so far this tournament, obviously they're facing a team from the Big 12 in Kansas and if they can somehow pull that off, they could possibly play a team from the SEC in the final four. So in theory, it's possible for them to beat a team from each of the power 6 conferences on route to the National Title game. Kinda Crazy.

Yeah I can't see VCU beating Kansas. You're right about that UConn team, and I thought going into this tournament that Ohio State and Duke were the fatally flawed superpowers that would go down. But who knows, can't rule out anything in a one game scenario. I read Shaka Smart made 325 grand this year as VCU coach. Think he's getting a raise? Haha. Such a young guy too, I think he's actually a year younger than Brad Stevens from Butler.

On a side note, most people said the right side of the bracket was immensly weaker than the left side going into the dance, and boy that really shows up now, even WITH Ohio State and Duke gone on the left and Kansas alive on the right. The tournament committee did a terrible job balancing the bracket/regions.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 12:06 AM)
On a side note, most people said the right side of the bracket was immensly weaker than the left side going into the dance, and boy that really shows up now, even WITH Ohio State and Duke gone on the left and Kansas alive on the right. The tournament committee did a terrible job balancing the bracket/regions.

Totally agreed, I think everyone knew OSU's bracket was loaded and Pitt's bracket stunk. You had the same think last year with Duke getting a cakewalk as the 3rd #1 seed. They really need to try to balance these more, I don't know how you can justify sticking OSU with UNC, Syracuse and Kentucky while Pitt gets Florida, BYU and Wisconsin.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 11:24 PM)
Totally agreed, I think everyone knew OSU's bracket was loaded and Pitt's bracket stunk. You had the same think last year with Duke getting a cakewalk as the 3rd #1 seed. They really need to try to balance these more, I don't know how you can justify sticking OSU with UNC, Syracuse and Kentucky while Pitt gets Florida, BYU and Wisconsin.

Yeah. Realistically, Ohio State waltzes to the Final Four if they get Pitt's bracket. And as the top overall seed, they should have.