Sox make 8 roster moves

southsider2k5

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...white-sox-moves

Gartrell, Escobar among White Sox moves

March, 14, 2011 Mar 145:50PM CTEmail Print Comments By Doug PadillaThe White Sox made eight roster moves official immediately after Monday’s 7-6 defeat to the San Diego Padres.

Four players were optioned to Triple-A Charlotte: RHP Anthony Carter, RHP Freddy Dolsi, INF Eduardo Escobar and OF Stefan Gartrell.

Two more players, right-handers Kyle Cofield and Nate Jones, were optioned to Double-A Birmingham.

Reassigned to minor-league camp were right-handers Brandon Hynick and Miguel Socolovich.

Gartrell’s option came one day after hitting two home runs in a B game.

The moves leave the White Sox with 38 players remaining in major-league camp: 18 pitchers, four catchers, 10 infielders and six outfielders.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 15, 2011 -> 12:50 AM)
No surprises. Gartrell seemed to be having a pretty good camp but I don't think he ever had a chance to make the roster. He'll get his chance at some point in the near future.

Impressive but still young and learning

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 09:21 PM)
He turned 27 this January. This is a huge year for him. Not a lot of Dennis Werths out there.

I think Dennis Werth is probably a better comparison than Jayson. Don't think there are any real huge years for him from this point forward with regards to development. Either the Sox give him a shot in the next year or two, or the club DFA's him and gives him his outright release, and he finds a better situation for himself. He's done enough in the minors that he deserves a shot at working his way onto a major league bench, I just don't know that it will be with the White Sox. I don't think it will be.