Humber

Heads22

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 01:31 AM)
Humber was a top prospect, had surgery and now has a new pitch. While I don't think he'll contend for the Cy Young, I think as a fifth starter for a month, he should do OK. If the Sox are .500 in his starts, they are ahead of the game.

Totally agreed.

Marquez thou - I'm not sure I'd totally write him off yet. I personally haven't seen enough of him yet.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, probably. Humber was shaky out there today, but the Sox are stuck until Peavy can do...whatever it is he does.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 07:31 PM)
I hope not. Marquez is garbage. Humber was a top prospect, had surgery and now has a new pitch. While I don't think he'll contend for the Cy Young, I think as a fifth starter for a month, he should do OK. If the Sox are .500 in his starts, they are ahead of the game.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
You mean as far as my every day life goes that doesn't involve the White Sox? Of course not. But 4 missed postseasons in the last 5 years has taken a 'toll' on me. I'm eternally grateful for '05 and to see a WS champion at the ripe old age of 22 when others who had passed away in their 60's and 70's never got to see one makes me cherish it a billion times more. But I was never one of those fans that said, “OH MY GOD! WE'VE WON IT! WE CAN FINISH IN LAST EVERY SEASON UNTIL THE DAY I DIE AND I'LL BE SATISFIED! “ type of fans. 2005 elevated my expectations. By a ton. 2010 rubbed me the wrong way on many levels. The debacle that was the DH situation when it didn't have to be a debacle, the Edwin Jackson trade and another beat-down by the Twins was my boiling point. As far as I'm concerned, the Sox have to 'prove it' to me. We've heard the term “All-In“ for the last 5-6 months. But by my estimation, other than the Dunn signing, which was massive, we're the same team we were last year. This isn't like what the Red Sox or Brewers did. Basically, we're hoping that guys that for the most part sucked last year, don't suck again this year. Now I can't help it that certain posters like yourself, SS2K5 and hi8is are insulted whenever I say something that can't be misconstrued as holy optimism. You guys get on my nerves just as much as I do yours. But I don't say s***. That's your right. I only say something when you reply to me for the most part. I lauded the Adam Dunn signing and you can google the thread if you don't believe me. But I'm not going to pretend that I have faith in a Phillip Humber just because he's a White Sox. I'm not going to pretend to like any move the team makes just because it's the White Sox. I didn't like the Crain/Ohman signings. Does that mean I want them to suck so I can say I was right? I'd have to be a loser of epic proportions to want that. If that makes me evil then so be it.

You don't say s***? Dude you mention me, on your own, at least once a week. You have been obsessed with me for a while now.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 02:21 AM)
So it looks like they're sticking with Humber for April 6th. Probably better off facing KC than the Rays.

How about five starts for Humber, and Peavy debuts May 2 vs Baltimore? I could live with that.

Sounds good - bring it.

5 starts - 3 and 2 record in those starts...

Peavy back on May 2nd... let's go!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 09:15 PM)
You don't say s***? Dude you mention me, on your own, at least once a week. You have been obsessed with me for a while now.

Stop frontin'. You're the main one that's always got something to say whenever I say something that's not nice. You're the closest thing to Hawk Harrelson on this board and everybody knows it. And like I said, I don't have a problem with that. This board would suck nuts if everybody was like me, just as it would suck if everybody was like you. Heads is the best example I can come up with as far as a Hawk Harrelson clone goes yet he never jumps on me for my opinion and views. You, Tex and Yas have repeatedly taken shots at me and I haven't said anything. At least anything that could be considered combative or defensive. Tex said I was a troll. Did I get smart back? Nope. oldsox creates the bait thread of bait threads and I say jokingly that not even I could find a negative in the Dunn signing. And everybody knows how excited I was when we signed Dunn. But Yas says, "Give it time." Did I get defensive? Nope. I said I would scale back when I talked to northside and I've done just that. You guys are the ones that are out of line. Not me.

Sometimes J4L - I access soxtalk while not logged in and thus - have to read your posts.

There's nothing wrong with having a negative view of players or the orginization but the way you present your views really opens you up to offending a lot of people and thus - a lot of fire.

Can you please stop with the personal stuff on these boards and restrict use to discussion about the sox.

It will make for a better experience all the way across the board. For you, for other members, and for guests.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 05:28 PM)
Again, I can't help it if you perceive it that way. Do you guys really believe I sit here with a blade at my wrists over f***ing baseball?

I'm not certain if you do, I don't know you, but the screen name Jordan4life does sound like someone that is just sitting there waiting for something bad to happen so it can be posted. Jordan4life sounds like someone who is constantly worried something bad is going to happen. That may be the exact opposite of you personally, I only know what I read from what I consider a fictional character, Jordan4life.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 10:34 PM)
Stop frontin'. You're the main one that's always got something to say whenever I say something that's not nice. You're the closest thing to Hawk Harrelson on this board and everybody knows it. And like I said, I don't have a problem with that. This board would suck nuts if everybody was like me, just as it would suck if everybody was like you. Heads is the best example I can come up with as far as a Hawk Harrelson clone goes yet he never jumps on me for my opinion and views. You, Tex and Yas have repeatedly taken shots at me and I haven't said anything. At least anything that could be considered combative or defensive. Tex said I was a troll. Did I get smart back? Nope. oldsox creates the bait thread of bait threads and I say jokingly that not even I could find a negative in the Dunn signing. And everybody knows how excited I was when we signed Dunn. But Yas says, "Give it time." Did I get defensive? Nope. I said I would scale back when I talked to northside and I've done just that. You guys are the ones that are out of line. Not me.

GMAB. You use my name as an insult all of the time. At least I have the decency to speak directly to you, and not about you.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
Totally agreed.

Marquez thou - I'm not sure I'd totally write him off yet. I personally haven't seen enough of him yet.

Marquez does have some pretty solid spring numbers, but I'm still skeptical about him, I would surmise that his numbers were solid against AAAA players in the spring. I wonder if KW is still working on a deal.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 09:02 AM)
Marquez does have some pretty solid spring numbers, but I'm still skeptical about him, I would surmise that his numbers were solid against AAAA players in the spring. I wonder if KW is still working on a deal.

Marquez has zero trade value, effectively. He's coming off an injury, a DFA/waiver wire candidate, and he's never really established himself as a decent prospect.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 09:31 AM)
Well, he was on the Yankees top 10 prospect list a few years back FWIW

At a time when the Yankees system was pretty barren after the top guys. That's like saying a guy made the White Sox's top 10 prospect list right now. Maybe if he's at the top of the list that means something...but the 8-10 spots are pretty iffy.

There are a ton of posts in this thread on Humber, should we be patient, should we expect a lot, etc. After watching the game against he cubs isnt it obvious. Hes a former first round pick becuase hes got good stuff and potential, but just watching him pitch hes got very little command and control. He works from behind in the count a whole bunch as a result. He reminds me of Daniel Hudson actually, good stuff, still raw in terms of pitching. Humber, like Hudson doesnt seem to be able to command his fastball and breaking ball in the strikezone, meaning he cant control where it ends up in the zone, and cant control the run on his fastball. His control wasn't all that great either, he was simply pitching 2-0 and 3-1 a lot. And I think if you read a scouting report on his career it would say exactly that, good stuff, command/control lacking. So who knows what will happen, it appears he will have some good games and have some bad games as a White Sox starter, he does not appear to be a long term solution, but could be servicable for a little bit. If I was going to guess he is going to look just like Daniel Hudson did for us last year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
LOL, you even talked s*** about him in the Soxtalk Keeper League 1 draft.

Quit the hyperbole. I was agreeing with Tru when he said the "all-in" mantra is overrated because outside of Dunn we're basically the same team. I said I'd wanted to start a thread about it a while back but didn't because he'd be the first one to get on my case for being too negative. And that was the end of it. Nobody was "talking s***."

QUOTE (joeynach @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 01:04 PM)
There are a ton of posts in this thread on Humber, should we be patient, should we expect a lot, etc. After watching the game against he cubs isnt it obvious. Hes a former first round pick becuase hes got good stuff and potential, but just watching him pitch hes got very little command and control. He works from behind in the count a whole bunch as a result. He reminds me of Daniel Hudson actually, good stuff, still raw I

n terms of pitching. Humber, like Hudson doesnt seem to be able to command his fastball and breaking ball in the strikezone, meaning he cant control where it ends up in the zone, and cant control the run on his fastball. His control wasn't all that great either, he was simply pitching 2-0 and 3-1 a lot. And I think if you read a scouting report on his career it would say exactly that, good stuff, command/control lacking. So who knows what will happen, it appears he will have some good games and have some bad games as a White Sox starter, he does not appear to be a long term solution, but could be servicable for a little bit. If I was going to guess he is going to look just like Daniel Hudson did for us last year.

There is absolutely no comparison between Dan Hudson and Phillip Humber.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 01:39 PM)
There is absolutely no comparison between Dan Hudson and Phillip Humber.

Just like there is no comparison between what has been called 'constant shots' and what I have restrained myself from saying. But I digress.