Humber

Heads22

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 04:42 PM)
If this team starts like that, it will be melted down. There is no gray area for them to screw up early this year.

I'd imagine 10-17 in April could be tolerated if they're back to .500 by end of May...but that's pushing it.

When the Sox get back from Oakland on May 15th, I'll take 21-20. It's a tough schedule the first couple months.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 03:43 PM)
I'd imagine 10-17 in April could be tolerated if they're back to .500 by end of May...but that's pushing it.

The sox had the second best winning percentage in the majors last year after the trade deadline.

Even putting aside Dunn's added WAR over last years crap fest... If we ply like that all year - we're greatly improved.

If Edwin Jackson pitches like he can and Carlos hits like he can... Look out!!

Generally speaking, looking at a team's record before Memorial Day is dumb. It will inevitably happen, and people will be upset that the Sox 5 games under or are at .500 come mid-May, but really, there's still more than 100 games left from that point forward.

Now, if they're 11-40 at the end of May, well then they're out of the race and looking at their record isn't quite as dumb. Nor is it if they're like 40-11. But 99% of the time, it's pointless.

Generally speaking, looking at a team's record before Memorial Day is dumb. It will inevitably happen, and people will be upset that the Sox 5 games under or are at .500 come mid-May, but really, there's still more than 100 games left from that point forward.

Now, if they're 11-40 at the end of May, well then they're out of the race and looking at their record isn't quite as dumb. Nor is it if they're like 40-11. But 99% of the time, it's pointless.

Personally, I think Edwin and Quentin are the keys to the team. Yes, I understand that Peavy is the bigger name with better history of dominance, but it's hard for me to ever expect him to make 25+ starts anymore. I think if Edwin and Quentin can play as well as they have shown they can, this team will win, no matter how many starts Peavy gives us.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 08:18 PM)
The sox had the second best winning percentage in the majors last year after the trade deadline.

Even putting aside Dunn's added WAR over last years crap fest... If we ply like that all year - we're greatly improved.

If Edwin Jackson pitches like he can and Carlos hits like he can... Look out!!

The White Sox did not have the second best winning percentage after the trade deadline last year. I don't know who did, but the White Sox post-trade deadline record was 30-29. It's mathematically impossible for that to be the second best record in the league.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 08:31 PM)
Personally, I think Edwin and Quentin are the keys to the team. Yes, I understand that Peavy is the bigger name with better history of dominance, but it's hard for me to ever expect him to make 25+ starts anymore. I think if Edwin and Quentin can play as well as they have shown they can, this team will win, no matter how many starts Peavy gives us.

Quentin I won't argue with. He does a lot of good things when he is going right, and he can be a tremendous blackhole in the lineup when he is not right.

Jackson I will. He was pretty phenomenal with the Sox after he was acquired last year, and, as mentioned, the Sox went 30-29.

To me, the biggest factors to success will be the second tier hitters on the Sox - basically anyone other than Dunn or Konerko - as well as the middle innings relievers. If a few players within the lineup show improvement - Beckham, Quentin, and perhaps Alexei from April through May and Rios from July through September - it should be able to overcome some regression from Konerko while still putting up good numbers. With regards to the bullpen, I think Thornton will be dynamite, Sale will be good, Crain will be solid but not as good as Putz, Santos should be solid, but the main thing is having an additional dependable reliever. The Sox got crushed in the bullpen last year because they had to rely so heavily upon Thornton and Putz that Ozzie eventually ran those two into the ground. If guys can have set roles in the pen and can perform well within those roles, they'll be just fine, so hopefully Pena and Ohman can be somewhat dependable...it would make the pen that much stronger.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 08:31 PM)

I agree. And if not CQ then Gordon. And Gordon means much more to us going forward than CQ, anyway.. Beckham was supposed to be the surest thing to a star we've had since Hurt. He really needs to prove that last year was simply a typical sophomore jinx.

Just wanted to chime in that I have enjoyed this thread....Soxtalk, especially PHT is best when we have a wide disparity of opinions and personalities contributing...and s***, sometimes when the sparring begins it's fun to crack open a beer and sit back and enjoy the hilarity that ensues.

For the record, I like where you're coming from J4L...it gives me a bit of a common sense check when I get too high on the Hawk Harrelson fumes...:)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 09:40 PM)
Jackson I will. He was pretty phenomenal with the Sox after he was acquired last year, and, as mentioned, the Sox went 30-29.

Yeah, but the Sox went 7-4 in the games he actually played in. Multiple by 3 to give you 33 starts, and that's 21-12 record in games he started. Sample size, obviously though.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 01:40 AM)
The White Sox did not have the second best winning percentage after the trade deadline last year. I don't know who did, but the White Sox post-trade deadline record was 30-29. It's mathematically impossible for that to be the second best record in the league.

Hummmm.... Thanks for pointing that out. My info is odbviously as bad as my spelling :)

I remember reading that during on stretch that the sox where like 45 and 29 ... Something like that... and during that stretch - they had the second best winning percentage.

I think the stat came from our feature on 30 clubs in 30 days

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 11:21 PM)
Hummmm.... Thanks for pointing that out. My info is odbviously as bad as my spelling :)

I remember reading that during on stretch that the sox where like 45 and 29 ... Something like that... and during that stretch - they had the second best winning percentage.

I think the stat came from our feature on 30 clubs in 30 days

It would not surprise me if they had the second best record in the league from June 1st to July 31st, as a 36-17 record over a 2 month span is incredibly impressive. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the best record over that stretch of games. They were playing some pretty incredible baseball over that time frame.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 05:49 AM)
It would not surprise me if they had the second best record in the league from June 1st to July 31st, as a 36-17 record over a 2 month span is incredibly impressive. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the best record over that stretch of games. They were playing some pretty incredible baseball over that time frame.

It must have been their record from June 1st until the rest of the year ( 66 wins and 46 loses / 20 games up )

That sounds like it could have been 2nd best.

I know they had the second best winning percentage over the course of a long stretch late in 2010.

If not - then blast MLB Network and their 30 clubs in 30 days research department!

:D

I really like this quote from Humber:

"Take it one day at a time. If I get another start, then I'll treat it the same way," Humber said. "I've had plenty of chances. It's just relaxing and allowing yourself to get out of the way. A lot of times I put too much pressure on myself."

Specifically - the part about "allowing yourself to get out of the way."

In any productive craft or creative endeavor - this is so true. Baseball and life relate so closely in terms of the lessons that can be applied and gleaned.