System Breakdown: Starters

danman31

System Breakdown: Starting Pitchers

The conclusion of this series is about the lifeblood of any minor league system, starting pitching. You can never have enough pitching as the saying goes. The White Sox don't have to worry about having too much starting pitching in the minors though. Most of the top pitching prospects in the system either profile as relievers or are veteran minor leaguers that have limited ceilings. There are few new and exciting names to talk about, but that's not to say there isn't hope.

----

I gotta admit I procrastinated a bit on this piece because of the lack of quality the Sox have here. I love Rienzo and Reed and Heidenreich could turn some heads this year, but for the most part there isn't lot to get excited about. Anybody got any really under the radar sleepers?

The guy I keep following since he was at Great Falls is Terry Doyle. The guy flat out pounds the strike zone. He's a team leader in strikeouts and innings pitched every where he's been. He does give up some hits, but thats in large part due to the fact he's throwing strikes. The only place he hasn't average over a strikeout an inning was at Winston Salem last year, but he still finished with an average of 5 strikeouts per start. I know I'll be watching how he does this year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 12:22 AM)
Oh my goodness. dan, this was a splendid piece by you. But a small part of my soul died after reading it. This franchise has the nerve to not want to hand out contracts over 3 years to pitchers? This has to be the worst collection of SP talent I've ever seen.

So let's compound the problem of having no minor leaguers by crippling the major league roster with ineffective, injured, and expensive starters? That doesn't sound like a great plan to me.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 08:51 AM)
So let's compound the problem of having no minor leaguers by crippling the major league roster with ineffective, injured, and expensive starters? That doesn't sound like a great plan to me.

Whatever we're doing it obviously must be wrong.

I've tried to get some scouting reports on Charlie Shirek, to shed some light, but nothing recent comes up. He's a mystery to me. He's a guy with excellent control who can hit 95, and supposedly has a decent curve and change. Yet, his K numbers keep dropping. Anyone have any idea what his deal is? He did have some injuries last year, so maybe a healthy 2011 will see him improve.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 11:22 PM)
Oh my goodness. dan, this was a splendid piece by you. But a small part of my soul died after reading it. This franchise has the nerve to not want to hand out contracts over 3 years to pitchers? This has to be the worst collection of SP talent I've ever seen.

the primary concern is injuries. These contract come back to haunt you more than they are successful. I would never go more than 4 years for those reasons. JR got bit hard with the Dotson, Bannister and Burns contracts i the mid-80's, along with Navarro later on. The only one that has worked is the Buerhle contract and people complain that he isn't living up to that contract. I agree with JR that these contracts don't make sense and KW needs continue to find young pitching in trades.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)
the primary concern is injuries. These contract come back to haunt you more than they are successful. I would never go more than 4 years for those reasons. JR got bit hard with the Dotson, Bannister and Burns contracts i the mid-80's, along with Navarro later on. The only one that has worked is the Buerhle contract and people complain that he isn't living up to that contract. I agree with JR that these contracts don't make sense and KW needs continue to find young pitching in trades.

The Sox have been proven right time and time again with this policy with all of the expensive garbage that is littering the rotations of many teams that spent big bucks. Heck, I would like to see just three 5-7 year contracts given to free agent pitchers that actually worked out.

Edited by hawksfan61

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 08:31 AM)
I've tried to get some scouting reports on Charlie Shirek, to shed some light, but nothing recent comes up. He's a mystery to me. He's a guy with excellent control who can hit 95, and supposedly has a decent curve and change. Yet, his K numbers keep dropping. Anyone have any idea what his deal is? He did have some injuries last year, so maybe a healthy 2011 will see him improve.

He is a sinkerballer so a lower K rate would make sense, but he's in dangerously low territory.