Sox (2-0) at Cleveland (0-2) 4/3 @ 12:05 CSN

Texsox

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
I think that is why the bunt was put down...because Ozzie wanted them to be able to score on a single...

If they don't think Alexei has any chance against Masterson, he should be on the bench, and there still would have been one out with the top of the order and Pierre, and non DP guy at the plate.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 02:09 PM)
Any projection on when the rain's going to hit?

us_dtw_closeradar_plus_usen.jpg

It's not moving all that quick right now, good shot to make this official and even get D1 the win if we get through this inning.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
If they don't think Alexei has any chance against Masterson, he should be on the bench.

First of all, that's not the thinking, but secondly, they're not going to play Lilli instead of Alexei unless they have to.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
Ozzie will ALWAYS bunt in that situation against a guy that owns us, even early in the game. So our guys better get f***ing used to it and learn to put down an easy f***ing bunt.

Honestly, I didn't think it was a bad call by Ozzie but after the 1st attempt I say swing away. Chances of GIDP with a sinkerballer are decent so get men on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out isn't a bad thing. As I type Pierre bunts successfully.

So no one wants to say it was a great play by the 1B, but rather that it was a terrible bunt by Alexei? I mean, if it was a terrible bunt, then the fielder would not have to of dove and made a fantastic play to get it in the end of his mitt. A terrible bunt would have made for an easy out, not a spectacular play.

Terrible baserunning, sure. Terrible bunt? Eh.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 01:11 PM)
First of all, that's not the thinking, but secondly, they're not going to play Lilli instead of Alexei unless they have to.

That's what you implied. You said they wanted Quentin to be able to score on a single so they had a guy who cannot bunt, bunt with nobody out. It wasn't a good idea.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
So no one wants to say it was a great play by the 1B, but rather that it was a terrible bunt by Alexei? I mean, if it was a terrible bunt, then the fielder would not have to of dove and made a fantastic play to get it in the end of his mitt. A terrible bunt would have made for an easy out, not a spectacular play.

It was a terrible bunt. It was in the air long enough for the firstbasemen to get there. That is a terrible bunt. Still a great play by Santana.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 06:12 PM)

Considering the same thing nearly happened on the first bunt attempt, Santana probably moved up a little.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)

It was a nice play. It appeared to be a bunt and run, but under no circumstance is a bunt anything but bad if its caught on the fly.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
That's what you implied. You said they wanted Quentin to be able to score on a single so they had a guy who cannot bunt, bunt with nobody out. It wasn't a good idea.

No, I implied that you thinking it would make sense to bunt with run producers coming up was backasswards thinking.

I don't think either of us were in favor of bunting there, but it makes more sense to try and move runners to 2nd and 3rd with Omar and Pierre coming up since they are primarily singles hitters versus moving them along with run producers coming up who have a much bigger chance of hitting a ball deep in the gap.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)
It was a nice play. It appeared to be a bunt and run, but under no circumstance is a bunt anything but bad if its caught on the fly.

It was bad, because it was in the air, but I didn't think it was terrible. A lot of times that bunt would get down, even with the 1 second of hangtime it had.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
No, I implied that you thinking it would make sense to bunt with run producers coming up was backasswards thinking.

I don't think either of us were in favor of bunting there, but it makes more sense to try and move runners to 2nd and 3rd with Omar and Pierre coming up since they are primarily singles hitters versus moving them along with run producers coming up who have a much bigger chance of hitting a ball deep in the gap.

And it makes no sense to move players up to second and third when you have hitters who can drive home runners without having to get a hit?

My point is, the guys who bunt should be the guys who know how to bunt. Alexei isn't one of those guys. Asking him to bunt is stupid.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
It was bad, because it was in the air, but I didn't think it was terrible. A lot of times that bunt would get down, even with the 1 second of hangtime it had.

THat was a terrible bunting technique even if it had worked. It was the classic "Chopping downwards on the ball" bunt, which is going to lead to popup after popup. It was the same thing Lexi did on the first attempt too.

If you have a guy with that technique bunt, half of his bunt attempts will wind up with 0-2 counts, another 30% will be popups for outs, and maybe 20% will fall in for sacrifices.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
And it makes no sense to move players up to second and third when you have hitters who can drive home runners without having to get a hit?

My point is, the guys who bunt should be the guys who know how to bunt. Alexei isn't one of those guys. Asking him to bunt is stupid.

You probably should have just said that the first time then.