4/5/11 GT: Sox @ KC - 7:10pm CDT - CSN+

knightni

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was dumb not to use Thorton. No defending that. He's now pitched once in 5 days. His usage rate was in the low to mid forty percent in 08-09. I have no reason to think he cannot do the same, but something tells me the stupid closer title will prevent him from doing that. I guess a lot of people saw this as a potential problem though.

QUOTE (retro1983hat @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 09:52 PM)
Every year when we suck in April except 2005, I complain that we give games away and every year everyone tells me it's early. Playing catch up all year is harder than being in the lead.

Say this, repeat this.

GAMES IN APRIL ARE JUST AS IMPORTANT AS GAMES IN SEPTEMBER

Yep, and they are going to lose close games in April, just like they'll lose close games in September. They'll also win close games in April, just like they'll win close games in September. They'll also lose to bad teams in April, just like they'll lose to bad teams in September. They'll also beat good teams in April, just like they'll beat good teams in September.

It's baseball. Ozzie is still getting a feel for his bullpen, who he can trust in what spots and who he can't trust at all and whatever else. There has been quite a bit of turnover there from Opening Day 2010 to Opening Day 2011. So, while your point is valid that these games matter just as much in the standings, these games are mainly important because they set the foundation for the next 5 months of baseball. There are still 158 games left in the season and there is time to make these games up. When Ozzie gets his bullpen sorted out, the Sox will eventually start winning games they have no business winning. I would guess that the next time Ozzie has Sale out there when a righty comes up or when he looks a little frazzled, Ozzie will have a quicker hook for him.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 12:38 AM)
It was dumb not to use Thorton. No defending that. He's now pitched once in 5 days. His usage rate was in the low to mid forty percent in 08-09. I have no reason to think he cannot do the same, but something tells me the stupid closer title will prevent him from doing that. I guess a lot of people saw this as a potential problem though.

Ozzie usually plays by the manager's book of not using your closer in a road game until you have a lead.