4/6/11 - Sox vs. Royals - 1:10 (CSN)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)
Yeah, the area between his ears.

Certainly not going to argue the fact that he was a headcase but when you have that much of a hitch in your swing, you're not going to be successful in the major leagues.

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 10:23 PM)
I'd much rather have him start off as a slap hitter making a lot of contact and grow into the power than start off with a lot of power but little contact.

If he's making contact, the ball will fly off his bat soon enough.

Me too, how refreshing to whack a single in that situation.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 06:14 PM)
Gambler's fallacy!

Now that they've already lost 4 in a row, the odds of them losing another are the same as them winning one. The unlikely streak is only unlikely before it starts.

Isn't that only true for outcomes with a fixed probability?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 10:04 PM)

Yes. Baseball is completely different than a roulette wheel, or throwing die, or flipping a coin, etc.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 11:04 PM)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 11:12 PM)
Yes. Baseball is completely different than a roulette wheel, or throwing die, or flipping a coin, etc.

To be fair though, there is pretty close to fixed probability in baseball, especially this early in the season. You factor in the talent on the field, the quality of the managing, the bounces balls get, and whatever other variables you can throw in there and things even out pretty quickly.

I would say that the gambler's fallacy holds true here. The Rays are just as likely to get a win as they were before the losing streak each single game. They are going to be pumped to try and end their losing streak, but the Sox are going to be pumped because it's their home opener. Both teams have plenty of motivation to win all the games. You obviously want a sweep, but I would be extremely happy with 3 of 4 and would be fine if they went 2-2.