4/8/11 - Sox vs. Rays - 7:10 (WCIU)

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (cws0591 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:18 PM)
whats the deal with Thornton??? someone needs to tell him a closer needs to use more than just his fastball....

That's all he has.

QUOTE (cws0591 @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 03:18 AM)
whats the deal with Thornton??? someone needs to tell him a closer needs to use more than just his fastball....

Dan Johnson can crush a fastball. Everyone knows he can't hit an offspeed pitch to save his life. No reason to pipe the first pitch fastball.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 03:16 AM)
The Thorton to closer move had disaster written all over it and may go down as one of the worst personnel decisions this organization has made. You saw this in Baltimore and Minnesota last year and it is holding true through six games this year. He is Latroy Hawkins.

We need to go closer by committee. Period.

Santos, Matt, Crain, Sale.

I hate lefty closers (and yes I know there has been a good one or two).

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)
I'd like to say I told you so to everyone but... I'd feel too bad seeing as it's taking us probably losing a heartbreaker for people to start saying it.

I'd rather it happen now than later, at least.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)
Dan Johnson can crush a fastball. Everyone knows he can't hit an offspeed pitch to save his life. No reason to pipe the first pitch fastball.

thats. all. he. has.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 09:19 PM)
We've also given up way too many runs to be 4-3.

Hey that's a better way to look at it! Pitching has to get better ASAP. That includes all of the starters not named Jackson. Danks should've shut these jokers down.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 03:20 AM)
Games not over, but damn tonight would have took the pressure off tomorrow's game.

5-2 vs 4-3...big difference.

Need a come back here.

Especially at home.

5-2 and 2-0 on the homestand is the sign of the start of some big things.

4-3, ugh, work to do.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:18 PM)
Man let it go, he's been awful in the role so far.. Sale should have been the closer, there was no reason to mess with a good thing..

I was calling for Sale too, but I can't even get mad about this one on Matt. He has looked like crap so far though I'll agree with, but it's still early on the season. I don't even think he's hit 96+ once yet either that I can recall.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 03:20 AM)
thats. all. he. has.

It's really not. He still used to throw the slider to try and steal a strike or keep the hitter honest. Thornton's fastball is 2-3 mph slow right now, and he's too down in the zone with it.