Government Shutdown on the clock thread

Balta1701

I would be really uncormfortable telling poor people they should not reproduce or that if they are pregnant, they should consider an abortion. Seems like it creates two classes of babies.

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel uncomfortable running a nation where we'll put our heads in the sands and act like people don't have sex out of marriage, and just forcing young, uneducated women (uneducated in the 'what is happening to my body and what should I do' sense) be forced into the shadows. If you've never been to planned parenthood, please shut up about it.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 06:22 AM)
I would be really uncormfortable telling poor people they should not reproduce or that if they are pregnant, they should consider an abortion. Seems like it creates two classes of babies.

Those who live in the District of Columbia and those who don't.

So bmags you do believe that poor people should have abortions because they can't afford their children? I believe poor people should have the same choices that every other person has. The right to have children. Suggesting that it is an advantage to society that poor mothers have abortion while wealthier people have their children makes me uncomfortable. I am not uncomfortable with Planned Parenthood, their annual shrimp boil fundraiser is actually a nice event that I have supported several times. But supporting choice, IMNSHO is also supporting the choice to have children, not just the choice to abort their baby. Again, suggesting somehow that poor women should abort for financial reasons makes me uncomfortable.

And I have been to planned parenthood, so I guess I can talk. They have a very nice building here, about five or six years old. Built just for them. Also, they have some wonderful, dedicated, people working there.

This is just f***ing funny to me. They are arguing about 30 billion in the context of a trillion and then these losers are beating their chests like they actually accomplished something. Talking about the budget there's 4 parts, revenue, entitlements, defense, and discretionary. They didn't touch three of those four and who knows if they ever will. Anyone who is unwilling to talk about ALL FOUR cannot and should not be taken seriously.

So bmags you do believe that poor people should have abortions because they can't afford their children? I believe poor people should have the same choices that every other person has.

I cant speak for Bmags, but my position is that definitely anyone who wants to have children can have them. Buy my position is also that anyone who wants an abortion can have one as well.

My point was about people who want to remove the choice of abortions from underprivileged people while at the same time not wanting to pay more taxes to support the children that they are forcing people to have.

I personally have not seen anyone suggesting that underprivileged people must have abortions, just that they should have the same choices as me, that they can have an abortion if they choose.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 10, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
I cant speak for Bmags, but my position is that definitely anyone who wants to have children can have them. Buy my position is also that anyone who wants an abortion can have one as well.

My point was about people who want to remove the choice of abortions from underprivileged people while at the same time not wanting to pay more taxes to support the children that they are forcing people to have.

I personally have not seen anyone suggesting that underprivileged people must have abortions, just that they should have the same choices as me, that they can have an abortion if they choose.

Isn't it just removing some funding for abortions? How much is the missing subsidy? like $100 per abortion?

times are tough and the abortion subsidy was something that was in the budget cuts. personally, i think there should be way more cuts. Defense cuts, close tax loop holes, medicare cuts, medicaid cuts, ect.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 09:09 PM)
So bmags you do believe that poor people should have abortions because they can't afford their children?

Nowhere stated. Nowhere. PP isn't just abortions as stated a billion times.

Was this in response to my post immediately above it? I said I was uncomfortable telling poor women to have abortions because they are on public aid. I thought this was in response to that post. So who should shut up about it? I'm confused.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 10:45 AM)
I feel uncomfortable running a nation where we'll put our heads in the sands and act like people don't have sex out of marriage, and just forcing young, uneducated women (uneducated in the 'what is happening to my body and what should I do' sense) be forced into the shadows. If you've never been to planned parenthood, please shut up about it.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Apr 10, 2011 -> 06:59 PM)
Isn't it just removing some funding for abortions? How much is the missing subsidy? like $100 per abortion?

Which part? The "Closing Planned Parenthood" part? That would remove $0 funding towards abortions and billions of dollars towards other women's health issues. Costs that would of course wind up being paid 10 times over when those same women wind up at the hospital.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 07:37 AM)
Which part? The "Closing Planned Parenthood" part? That would remove $0 funding towards abortions and billions of dollars towards other women's health issues. Costs that would of course wind up being paid 10 times over when those same women wind up at the hospital.

So you believe that given the choice of funding abortions or other women's health issues, PP will choose to find abortions with their available funding?

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
So you believe that given the choice of funding abortions or other women's health issues, PP will choose to find abortions with their available funding?

I think if you banned them from raising private funds for that medical procedure then they'd have to shut down completely.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
I think if you banned them from raising private funds for that medical procedure then they'd have to shut down completely.

That basically confirms the GOP pov that PP has abortions as their primary focus and not woman's health education and prevention. That the public money allows them to provide abortions by allowing them to channel their private money away from education and prevention over to abortions. I know that isn't the message that PP sends out, but you are probably correct.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 01:46 PM)
That basically confirms the GOP pov that PP has abortions as their primary focus and not woman's health education and prevention. That the public money allows them to provide abortions by allowing them to channel their private money away from education and prevention over to abortions. I know that isn't the message that PP sends out, but you are probably correct.

You missed the underlying point.

Under what law does the government have the right to tell a private organization that it can't raise private funds to perform a fully legal medical procedure?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 07:37 AM)

they can only get health care at planned parenthood? that's weird.

honestly, you will get more people on your side without the exaggerations.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 06:16 PM)
they can only get health care at planned parenthood? that's weird.

honestly, you will get more people on your side without the exaggerations.

Well, they could also get health care through the newly enacted Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010 once that is mostly in place.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 06:20 PM)
sounds affordable

Compared to what happens now (Planned Parenthood) or what happens with neither (no prenatal/preventative care and hospitalizations when things go wrong), yes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 05:33 PM)
Compared to what happens now (Planned Parenthood) or what happens with neither (no prenatal/preventative care and hospitalizations when things go wrong), yes.

affordable like medicare and medicaid?

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 07:23 PM)
for the person on the program. not so much for everyone else (taxpayer). all health care in the US is just overpriced.

Actually, since the taxpayer also winds up on Medicare eventually, it's quite a bit of savings for the taxpayer...the taxpayer is able to get Health Care after age 65, which prior to Medicare, was only happening for a sliver of the population.

I will 100% agree with you on the 2nd part. Content with that? 100% agreement. Couldn't agree more.