April 11th Game Thread White Sox versus Athletics

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 10:45 PM)
How, again, is Thornton not a closer? His D has screwed him for the second time. His stuff didn't vaporize overnight.

He has 2 K's this season.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 10:47 PM)
Opponents closers have no trouble getting the job done. Another terrible loss.

No s***.

Must be nice to have a closer who can get 3 up and 3 down without getting hammered.

You can call it a "slider" but that definitely didnt have slider action. So he must have thrown it improperly as it clearly looked like a "curveball". I wasnt being specific, because it was an offspeed pitch down the middle so not really sure that it counts as a slider or curveball.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 09:46 PM)
Thornton threw an 0-2 hanging curveball down the middle.

That isnt the Matt Thornton of last year.

Didn't you say Thornton should mix up more pitches? He did that today. The result was probably worse than the Tampa game. He hit 96-97 on the gun today, so the fastball was there.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 03:50 AM)
Adam Dunn gets his gloves and his bat. Then watches Ozzie allow the guy wno f***ed up try to right himself. Way to do what's best for the team.

I still can't believe he let Morel face Ross again. He definitely got his ass handed to him tonight by Geren, as warming up Breslow kept Dunn out of the game.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 09:50 PM)
Adam Dunn gets his gloves and his bat. Then watches Ozzie allow the guy wno f***ed up try to right himself. Way to do what's best for the team.

No kidding ... This year's Kotsay syndrome

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 08:45 PM)
How, again, is Thornton not a closer? His D has screwed him for the second time. His stuff didn't vaporize overnight.

Sometimes playing the role of a contrarian can make it seem you aren't watching the game. I mean, really? His stuff may not have evaporated overnight, but it sure as hell evaporated over the offseason. 3 ropes tonight, a 3 run bomb the other day, 2 strikeouts on the season, not may swing and misses but lots of foul balls. The dude is off and I don't know if it's the pressures that come with being a closer or if his arm is wearing down...either way, he's not the Matty we've appreciated the last couple of seasons.

Whats best for the team is that Dunn gets 100% healthy and doesnt some how aggravate the surgery and cost us more time without him.

For as many frustrating losses as the Sox have, they are still over 500 and in good shape.

At the end of the day you are going to win more of these games than you are going to lose, flukes wont happen every day, and even an unretired Bobby Thigpen could finish a game without giving up 5 runs in a loss.

This team could be special, as long as we get the right mix by the middle of May none of this matters.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 09:53 PM)
With a Juan Pierre in LF and a Carlos Quentin in RF this team seriously could use a GOOD defensive outfielder for the late innings of close games like this.

OHHHHHH Brian Anderson says hi.

Chw2,

Thornton had the first guy 0-2. At that point you can throw exclusively fastballs, for some reason they went offspeed and over the heart of the plate. I assure you, that is not part of mixing up pitches. Had Thornton got the first batter, its an entirely different inning. Its just the little things.

I actually am willing to give Thornton more of a chance because he atleast tried to do something different. This game was entirely execution, it wasnt predictability. Execution can be fixed (you hope).

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 03:53 AM)
With a Juan Pierre in LF and a Carlos Quentin in RF this team seriously could use a GOOD defensive outfielder for the late innings of close games like this.

Just wait until we see why Lillibridge has barely played outfield in his professional career.