Wite's totally awesome adventure (sort of)

witesoxfan

As I mentioned, I mingled with Val Kilmer and Will Forte this weekend.

Val was in town for the "American Indian Higher Education Consortium." He is an advocate of Native American rights and is part Cherokee himself.

It started on Saturday night, waiting at the airport for Val. We got to the airport about 15 minutes before Val's flight arrived and waited. That was a common theme. Passengers finally started making their way out of the plane about 45 minutes after we got there, and I got my first glimpse of Val. He had on a hat and sunglasses and was in an apparent hurry. He shook my hand, shook my friend's hand, and immediately wanted to get out of there. Even considering how small the Bismarck airport was, there were apparently quite a few people there trying to take photos of him. So we got him out of there and the 3 people with him helped get all of his bags into the back of truck. There were a lot of them.

We got everything checked into the hotel - that took another 30 minutes or so - and then made our way to the Civic Center because Val wanted to do a soundcheck. The problem was that there was an MMA event going on at the same time (at which Mark Coleman fought) and there was no way he was going to be able to do anything he wanted. On top of that, he struggled to find a changing room as well. Val was not happy. So we got what we could that he needed for his performance into a safe place, and then he went away - he did that a lot too. They ended up having a meeting of some sort, so I went out to the car to wait with the other guy. We were out there for an hour.

We then went our own separate ways - one to go to the hotel and so some shopping, and the other - the group I was with - to go get food. That ended up being another half hour of waiting. We finally got back to the hotel, and were instructed to run a few menial tasks before going upstairs to eat. The problem here was that we didn't actually get to eat with Val - he was upset and had some material to study, so he stayed by himself. I did atleast get to see him then though.

The next day started at around noon. I was a bit out of it, so the other guy and my mom actually went out to go run a few errands for him while I got ready. They didn't need me for like 2 hours, so I ended up waiting at my house for a while. After I got there, we ended up running a few more errands - I don't remember what it was, but it was small. I learned that there was some person on the way named "Will." We had no idea who Will was, but knew it was an actor and that we'd probably recognize him. Looking back, I think our entrepreneurship advisor heard his name but didn't recognize it and only remembered "Will" so that was all she told us. In the meantime, we were running some errands and trying to figure out who "Will" was. We got to the airport, and waited for another 45 minutes - we didn't have anything else to do, and his flight was delayed by about 20 minutes. I finally found out it was Will Forte and got immediately jacked up. So I sat, patiently waiting in the airport.

He got there and I introduced myself and he introduced himself too - surprised me a little bit, but I don't think everybody quite knows who he is. He was great, very personable, and hilarious. Got out to the car and he introduced himself to the other guy and we took him to the hotel to check in. By that point, Val was back at the hotel and they started goofing around a bit - me and dude were dressed up in shirt and tie - and Val told us that we "looked like Mormons." So we went to go change.

Got back to the hotel and Will was hungry, so we were going to go to McDonalds with him - we hadn't eaten since like noon - but wanted to check in before we went. Turns out, there were like 500 flyers that needed to be cut. That took about an hour, and then we received his 35 page script that we needed to trim too - we had to cut 2 inches off all 4 sides, and then had to paste it into a book. This entire process took about 2 hours.

We finally left the hotel 15 minutes after his performance was supposed to start. He's been big into Mark Twain recently and has an entire performance based around it. It was hilarious. Will was simply there to introduce him.

After the performance, Val promised a photo opportunity for anybody that wanted it - there were about 800 people there. Only about 200 of them wanted a photo with him, so this only took an hour and a half. Then we had to pack up his stuff and wait to get out of there. We were hungry and didn't think there was going to be enough food for everybody in the group, so Will Forte, the other guy, and I went to eat at Applebees. We got there and people were kind of looking at Will funny, but either people didn't want to approach him or just weren't sure it was him, so we got to eat in relative peace. I asked Will what he was working on - said that Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie just finished filming - and that he was going to tour the area before heading back to LA. He'd mentioned that he was at a wedding the night before and that there were a ton of very, very recognizable actors there. We asked why he didn't invite us, and he responded by saying that he didn't know us then, otherwise he would have.

We eventually finished our drinks and took Will back to the hotel with the intentions of hanging out with Val for a bit. Val was asleep, but my favorite line of the entire weekend came during his phone conversation with Val. Their hotel is right by a train line and it blew its horn and I assume Val asked what that noise was and, without missing a beat, Will said "I farted." Will eventually retired for the night but we got a couple photos before he did, and then we went off to bed.

The next morning, Val was the keynote speaker at this event and actually did the performance on Sunday night for fun and because he wanted to work out the kinks. He delivered a great speech - with the key idea being that people should find something to do that they enjoy doing, because people will pay you for it, and this is a key message to Native Americans because of their economic struggles in general. My favorite part was that he said to "live life without judgment. Whether someone is a Democrat or Republican, black, white, or brown, gay or straight, to look past that and to appreciate them for the person they are." It was difficult to hear because people were running up to him to take photos of him and about half the room of 300-400 people were talking.

After his speech, he took photos with all the schools present - 32 schools total - and then we made our way out of there. We went and got lunch and actually had the opportunity to sit and talk with him. He is honestly a really fun and incredibly interesting guy to hang around.

After lunch, which was about an hour of socializing, we sat around and waited for an hour because their flight didn't leave for another 2 and a half hours. Then came the mad rush at the end - taping packages and picking up any number of assorted items and finishing up some transactions and whatever else. We finally got everything loaded up and got to the airport and got everything unloaded and into the airport so they could check them. Val signed a CD for us, we shook his hand one more time, and took off.

Honest to God, it was awesome being able to see people that high up when they aren't performing, whether in movies or just in a public setting. And seeing all the work that goes on behind the scenes to make everything work was amazing too. It was an incredible experience, and I would gladly do it again.

BTW, Will gave us his phone and email info and told us to contact him if we're ever in LA. That is f***ing sweet.

Val Kilmer looked very bloated to me in his recent movie appearances, hopefully he's in better physical condition now. After Top Gun, he was riding on top of the world, but he gained a reputation for being one of the most prickly and demanding actors in Hollywood.

Interesting to see that he's still intimately involved in Native American issues after filming the movie "Thunderheart" about Wounded Knee almost 20 years ago now.

"I'm your Huckleberry." Roy Halladay

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 09:53 AM)
http://www.cnbc.com/id/41312370/10_NFL_Sta...nkrupt?slide=11

Augusta, GA–(ENEWSPF)– ARTHUR JAMES MARSHALL, JR., 41, from Augusta, Georgia, was sentenced late yesterday by United States District Judge J. Randal Hall to 69 months in prison and five years of supervised release for his mortgage fraud convictions. MARSHALL was also ordered to pay more than $3.6 million restitution to his victims.

Before imposing sentence, Judge Hall remarked that mortgage fraud was a major factor in pushing the country’s economy to “the brink of depression.”

United States Attorney Edward J. Tarver stated, “Mortgage fraud poses a significant threat to our nation’s financial system. This prosecution demonstrates the ongoing response of the United States Attorney's Office to protecting the integrity of the financial system of this nation. Relying on the joint efforts of federal, state and local law enforcement, this office will aggressively prosecute those who defraud financial institutions and other victims of mortgage fraud.”

Evidence presented at sentencing revealed that MARSHALL falsified sales contracts, personal finance records and other documents as part of his mortgage fraud scheme. The victims of MARSHALL’s scheme included banks, a family who never got a property title from MARSHALL after paying him $100,000 for a home, and members of his deceased father's American Legion post.

My former boss made a list of ten former NFL "stars" (although he was really a 3rd wide receiver and kick return guy) who went bankrupt and is now serving a five year prison term for real estate fraud.

Luckily, I was only the director of his non-profit for less than a year before I got out in 1996. But it's interesting and ironic that some of my worst suspicions were confirmed more than a decade later.

On the other hand, I did get to meet and hang out with Deion Sanders, Michael Irvin, Sterling and Shannon Sharpe, Tyrone Wheatley, Garrison Hearst, Dan Reeves, Hootie & the Blowfish...and talk to Ditka and Marty Schottenheimer of the phone, and, my worst crime of all-time, accidentally hanging up on "The Coach," Tom Landry. Of all the athletes I met, though, Herschel Walker far and away was the most interesting and genuine.

"I'm your Huckleberry." Roy Halladay

What the heck do this post, and that news article, even have to do with the subject of this thread?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
It's pretty cool that Will Forte is such a nice guy. I guess it's not surprising, as he doesn't throw off the vibe of being a dick.

Two questions:

-Is Val Kilmer still heavy?

-Did you quote Tombstone?

Val looks really good actually. He's bigger than he was when he was in his mid 20s, which goes without saying, but he has been on a pretty strict diet recently and has been working out and looked really good.

And I had fully planned on at least dropping the Huckleberry line, but had I done that I think I probably would have been sent away.

I did tell Will that my favorite character of his was Pall Willeaux.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 09:53 AM)
Pics or it didnt happen... :ph34r:

blakeandval.jpg

blakeandwillforte.jpg

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)
It all makes sense in the brain of caulfield. Which is disturbing.

Post of the Year. Quite clever. At least try to have some style, like Bob Dylan employed incisively.

Maybe you can just send a private text message between each other, Caulfield :o : LOL BFF

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
Val looks really good actually. He's bigger than he was when he was in his mid 20s, which goes without saying, but he has been on a pretty strict diet recently and has been working out and looked really good.

And I had fully planned on at least dropping the Huckleberry line, but had I done that I think I probably would have been sent away.

I did tell Will that my favorite character of his was Pall Willeaux.

blakeandval.jpg

blakeandwillforte.jpg

My god what happened to you Blake? (though you weren't much to look at in your younger days, but you were at least "decent looking" in a hetero way)

Very cool story!!

One day, I'll let you follow around the owner of Soxtalk, ;)

You haven't seen interesting, until you follow me around. I demand that all computers I sit in front have soxtalk on them all TV's talk about my sports teams at all times, and the most interesting man in the world, doesn't drink DoSequi around me, he drinks jameson.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 04:17 PM)
Post of the Year. Quite clever. At least try to have some style, like Bob Dylan employed incisively.

Maybe you can just send a private text message between each other, Caulfield :o : LOL BFF

Please. You are the one with the completely nonsensical response to the topic at hand. Rather than being worried with what i had to say, you very well could have tried to explain the link between the two. Let's not act like i was the only who didn't get it. As i stated, and i fully believe it, i'm sure in your head (lolzomglolzhehe)... there is a link. Whatever the link was... i'm more than willing to bet you were grasping at straws.

Don't you worry, you carry on caulfield, we are all very familiar with your style. Just like greg775... it is what it is... you both are simply set in your ways. Keep on fighting the good fight!