EA Class Action Lawsuit

lostfan

Anyone else get this e-mail from EA? It's basically saying that a lawsuit was filed against EA for violating antitrust laws which resulted in overcharging of customers and gives information for people who want to get in on it. The case hasn't been settled (or heard) yet.

One part of it I thought was particularly funny was that they said "...which Plaintiffs claim foreclosed competition in an alleged football video game market." LOL. Alleged. Holy s*** that is one arrogant statement. Well, I guess there WAS a market before EA bought it out and started making minor improvements to the same game every year.

I got that E-Mail and my first thought was: how could they argue that you were "overcharged" when Madden/NCAA cost the same as virtually any game released, exclusive license or not? I mean if you want to argue anti-trust or that the quality of the product suffered that would be one thing, but the price is a dumb thing to target IMO.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)
I got that E-Mail and my first thought was: how could they argue that you were "overcharged" when Madden/NCAA cost the same as virtually any game released, exclusive license or not? I mean if you want to argue anti-trust or that the quality of the product suffered that would be one thing, but the price is a dumb thing to target IMO.

That was my first thought when I read it. 60 bucks is 60 bucks. I guess you could argue that EA started mailing it in and basically making roster updates with minor tweaks (Madden 06-08 was pretty much the same game) so they didn't get what they thought they could've gotten for that 60 bucks which is most peoples' main criticism of EA.

Also the 2K Sports games sold for about $20 less, IIRC. I don't remember about the other franchises

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 10:15 PM)
Also the 2K Sports games sold for about $20 less, IIRC. I don't remember about the other franchises

I think that was only a one-year deal to try to steal some thunder from the Madden juggernaut. I doubt they could have sustained that over the life of the franchise.

I wondered how much they really could change the game itself. It's football. What could you do make the field 400 yards long and add warp speed? Throw in speed bumps? I guess I become a republican when companies get sued for being successful.

On a side note, it sucks that there really isnt a worthwhile football game that isnt related to the NFL. It would be fun to play a blank slate type game where you can build up your franchise from scratch and play other teams built the same way

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 05:25 AM)
I wondered how much they really could change the game itself. It's football. What could you do make the field 400 yards long and add warp speed? Throw in speed bumps? I guess I become a republican when companies get sued for being successful.

Good point, Super TecmoBowl was the same game as Madden '11 except roster updates, nothing they can do because football is football right?

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 03:52 AM)
I thought the lawsuit was over EA's monopoly on football games? I dont remember hearing about how much they charge

If the suit is in founded under anti-trust laws then the price is only important in creating standing for consumers.

It sounds like you are right. THere is an allegation that EA monopolized the "football video game" market. Part of the legal argument will be whether such a market actually exists (which is why they have to say "alleged". it has nothing to do with arrogance). EA will argue that the only market is the "video game" market or a "sports video game" market so that their ownership percentage will be low enough to withstand the anti-trust claim.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 12:56 PM)
If the suit is in founded under anti-trust laws then the price is only important in creating standing for consumers.

It sounds like you are right. THere is an allegation that EA monopolized the "football video game" market. Part of the legal argument will be whether such a market actually exists (which is why they have to say "alleged". it has nothing to do with arrogance). EA will argue that the only market is the "video game" market or a "sports video game" market so that their ownership percentage will be low enough to withstand the anti-trust claim.

There's definitely a market... I don't know how anybody could think otherwise

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 06:28 PM)
There's definitely a market... I don't know how anybody could think otherwise

While your supposition may be true, there are rules to determine these things and a party to a lawsuit isn't going to admit to a question of fact in an email to customers. Markets are based partially the reasonable substitutability of the product. If a football game were too expensive, would you buy a baseball game instead? Some would, others wouldn't. If you only had $50 and Madden costs $60, but some other game cost $50, would you go home empty handed, or buy the other game? I could easily say that all sports games are "reasonably interchangeable" because I am sure there are plenty of people that would buy what they could afford.

In reality, I don't doubt that there are enough people that would only spend their money on a football game to establish it as a separate market.

Interestingly, would you say the same about a baseball or basketball game or any other sports game?