fire walker

lord chas

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)
Ranger talking about Beckham having to work on his swing in the offseason....can't do it now.

So that's Dunn, Rios, and Beckham that have offseason projects.

This team is a joke from top to bottom.

Is Ranger still performing the same ole song and dance regarding this lovely White Sox team?

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 05:20 AM)
If Hawk retires before he dies, I'd like to hear what he really has to say.

I heard Hawk a week or so ago say on the air this was the most frustrating sox team he's ever covered.

Compared to announcers on all the other teams, he's like Howard Cosell.

You won't hear a peep of negativity from the Royals announcers. Most announcers are total shills.

You may hate Hawk but he's OK.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 06:53 AM)
I chuckle remembering all the posts regarding Beckham should be our #3 hitter for many years to come and as a all around stud with the bat. Pffffffffffft...

I remember when he was blasting gappers and had all those doubles.

Now he's a joke at the plate.

Beckham was a line drive machine when he came up. Walker deserves blame in this, but there were questions about whether his swing mechanics would work at the big league level. I don't trust anyone currently in the White Sox organization to recognize a good hitter. Off the top of my head the best hitters acquired since Williams became GM were 1. Thome, 2. Dye, 3. Quentin. Not exactly stellar.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 10:25 PM)
I heard Hawk a week or so ago say on the air this was the most frustrating sox team he's ever covered.

Compared to announcers on all the other teams, he's like Howard Cosell.

You won't hear a peep of negativity from the Royals announcers. Most announcers are total shills.

You may hate Hawk but he's OK.

Vin Scully of Dodgers is the exception. He is secure enough that no one tells him what to say. He's the best.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 08:06 AM)
Beckham was a line drive machine when he came up. Walker deserves blame in this, but there were questions about whether his swing mechanics would work at the big league level. I don't trust anyone currently in the White Sox organization to recognize a good hitter. Off the top of my head the best hitters acquired since Williams became GM were 1. Thome, 2. Dye, 3. Quentin. Not exactly stellar.

You'r right, Beckham was a line drive machine, or at least I remember him being a lot better hitter then than now. But even in his rookie year, Mark Gonzalez of the Trib talked about his loopy swing and that pitchers would quickly figure out how to get him out. He did this in his Mailbag columns. Geez, he might be a better hitting coach than Walker.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 08:12 AM)
Vin Scully is great at what he does, but I about fall asleep watching Dodger's games cause his broadcasts are so boring.

What are you drinking and what pills are you ingesting during the games? It's not the announcer that makes the game interesting. If that's all it takes, then they would hire someone like Dennis Miller to do the broadcasts. Or has that been done already?

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
Vin Scully is great at what he does, but I about fall asleep watching Dodger's games cause his broadcasts are so boring.

Are you sure that's not just the Dodgers offense?? There's really no one to watch other than Matt Kemp.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)

This

I don't fall asleep literally but the man just sometimes rambles on and on and on about some crap that happened 50 years ago.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 08:44 AM)
The hitting coach doesn't matter when you assembled a low OBP team in the first place. Don't attack a symptom of the problem, attack the cause.

Well. Walk MIGHT be a problem when at least four of your starters have never been worse at hitting than they are under this staff.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
You'r right, Beckham was a line drive machine, or at least I remember him being a lot better hitter then than now. But even in his rookie year, Mark Gonzalez of the Trib talked about his loopy swing and that pitchers would quickly figure out how to get him out. He did this in his Mailbag columns. Geez, he might be a better hitting coach than Walker.

Then at the very least, he's not helping our hitters work past flaws in their swing.

What's weird is that even if the Sox don't feel Walker is to blame, the facts are that the offense is struggling and needs help. And even if Greg Walker was the greatest hitting coach of all-time, you would still have to say that whatever he's doing isn't working. And if you're truly serious about trying to win, wouldn't you want to do everything you could to try and give this offense a boost? I mean my god, you have your big free agent signing on his way to a historically bad season at the plate...isn't that enough to justify a change?

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
What's weird is that even if the Sox don't feel Walker is to blame, the facts are that the offense is struggling and needs help. And even if Greg Walker was the greatest hitting coach of all-time, you would still have to say that whatever he's doing isn't working. And if you're truly serious about trying to win, wouldn't you want to do everything you could to try and give this offense a boost? I mean my god, you have your big free agent signing on his way to a historically bad season at the plate...isn't that enough to justify a change?

Thank you. This stiff has the longest tenure in the AL Central as hitting coach and the product of his work has been sub-par. Dude needed to be shown the door a few years ago.

I agree with those who say that before we consider Beckham a bust, we need to at least have him work with someone other than Walker, I hate to pile on but under Walker, this offense has for the most part sucked.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
His swing is not like it was at Georgia, and is longer and loopier than it was when he first came up. What is it with the Sox? Borchard, Crede, Fields, and Anderson all had major holes in their swings too. Crede finally was getting it together and then his back gave out. Do they teach guys to try to pull and kill the ball? This is exactly the kind of situation that a good hitting coach should be able to respond to. All of these players had great potential and only Crede was able to have somewhat of a decent career. This thing with Beckham makes me ill.

The fact that Beckham doesn't look like how he was at Georgia, in the minors, and in 2009 is the biggest indictment of Walker.

We had a guy who most baseball experts were sure was the next great second baseman and while he is turning into a defensive wizard, he should be a top flight offensive 2B, but instead has a long, scared swing.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 12:58 PM)
His swing is not like it was at Georgia, and is longer and loopier than it was when he first came up. What is it with the Sox? Borchard, Crede, Fields, and Anderson all had major holes in their swings too. Crede finally was getting it together and then his back gave out. Do they teach guys to try to pull and kill the ball? This is exactly the kind of situation that a good hitting coach should be able to respond to. All of these players had great potential and only Crede was able to have somewhat of a decent career. This thing with Beckham makes me ill.

A big part of it seems to be the Sox don't know a good hitter from a bad one. It's not like guys are leaving the Sox and suddenly turning into good hitters.