Nine Back in Loss Column

greg775

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still watch all the games I can. Man, last night's started out so well and then they just slowly, carefully ripped my heart out and pissed on it all at once. But yea, I've been training some Pokemon on my DS during the games because if I focus on just the game and it goes the way it's been going, I go mad.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
This thread is ridiculous. There are more than 5 months left in the season!

Why do some people always revert back to this?

I'm saying the team is on life support right now and sticking by it.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 08:01 AM)
There are only 135 games left to play.

People have been saying this the for 3 years in a row now and we all know how the past 2 seasons have ended after the slow starts.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 03:07 PM)
Why do some people always revert back to this?

I'm saying the team is on life support right now and sticking by it.

When its July and we're 15 under, people will still say "BUT THERES 2 MONTHS LEFT!!!!!!!!"

Some people are too optimistic for their own good.

Worried, disappointed, maybe a little jaded, yes, all of the above. Hopeless.. no. The Indians are falling apart as we speak with injuries to their already over-performing group. The Royals are falling back to earth along with them. The Twins are a MASH unit and the Tigers can't seem to hold it together either. 83-85 games takes this division, and that's not out of the question, and we all know that once the playoffs start, anything can happen.

I wouldn't say that I was "worried" or that this is "too much to recover from." This is the last day in April. BUT I am really wondering what's wrong with this team? They are playing waaaay below their capabilities and that pisses me off so much. I can barely watch. Absolute horses*** baseball. It figures that I renew my mlb.tv subscription and they start playing like this again... maybe for everyone's sake I should cancel it

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
I wouldn't say that I was "worried" or that this is "too much to recover from." This is the last day in April. BUT I am really wondering what's wrong with this team? They are playing waaaay below their capabilities and that pisses me off so much. I can barely watch. Absolute horses*** baseball. It figures that I renew my mlb.tv subscription and they start playing like this again... maybe for everyone's sake I should cancel it

Don't do that.. just watch other games.. that's the glory of having access to EVERY baseball game that's on.. it makes turning the Sox off much easier.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 05:18 PM)
Don't do that.. just watch other games.. that's the glory of having access to EVERY baseball game that's on.. it makes turning the Sox off much easier.

If I did that I would just watch Orioles games here and start going to O's games (I like them and when they suck, which happens often, I don't get so mad like I do with the Sox)

Edited by lostfan

The Indians are falling apart as we speak with injuries to their already over-performing group.

The Indians have won 11 in a row at home. Once you start dominating at home, you can continue that even with a mediocre baseball team. Royals may be slumping, but at least they also are

rolling at home. Sorry if I'm so pissed. But I have one pet peeve. That my favorite team play good baseball or decent baseball the first month and not be nine out in the loss column after one f***ing month.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 04:44 PM)
The Indians have won 11 in a row at home. Once you start dominating at home, you can continue that even with a mediocre baseball team. Royals may be slumping, but at least they also are

rolling at home. Sorry if I'm so pissed. But I have one pet peeve. That my favorite team play good baseball or decent baseball the first month and not be nine out in the loss column after one f***ing month.

Lol@ that being a pet peeve. Greg, you are the greatest poster to ever live.

Everyone keeps saying "They won't go 25-5 again"...they don't have to.

The Sox were 25-33 and 9.5 back at their lowpoint last season. That is exactly when the run started. When that was over the team was 50-38 and a game up. They finished 38-36 in the last two months (helped only by the fact that they finished 9-2 when virtually already out of it).

The fact is that the last two months were very mediocre. The Sox just need to sustain good baseball for the last 5 months of the season. It looks bad right now, yes. I'm just as aggrivated as everybody else. But I also think if people would look back at some of their posts from this time last year they would be pretty embarrassed at how they overreacted.

We trail CLEVELAND by 8 games people. If we finish below the Indians this year I'll eat my shorts.

We end the year 78-57 (88-74)...that wins the division this year. It might win it easily.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 10:51 PM)
Lol@ that being a pet peeve. Greg, you are the greatest poster to ever live.

Thanks.

Can you believe the Sox are 10 back in the loss column as April concludes??

My god. This is like a bad dream.

I mean if the Indians just play winning baseball at home the rest of the year and win four of every 10 road games we'd never catch them even with a good sizz.

Sox are going to take a big hit in concessions and parking this year, that is for sure.

I'm assuming the team gets to keep most of the money on concessions and parking.

Edited by greg775

I am tired of the it's early talk and the 1983 team was bad until May, that was 1 team 1 time but it is the crutch this organization uses whenever they start a year like crap. Hawk uses it every dam year it was 28 years ago let it go! :gosoxretro:

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
I wonder how many people still watch all of the games. I'm considered one of the biggest pessimists on this site, but I still watch every single game. It seems that a lot of people can't say that.

I haven't even been watching the games. I watched them all for the first two months last year, hell I watched them all in 2007, so I know bad stretches when I see them. But this year is just particularly unwatchable IMO. The "all in" campaign that now looks like a complete joke, the early losses due to dropped fly balls, bad bullpen work, and bad defense, and the shellshock this team (particularly the offense) has been in since those horrible early losses. All of it combined just makes this team impossible to watch for me, and this is the first time I can say that in all of my time as a fan. I pay attention to the box score, results, and our record and standings place every day because I'm no bandwagon fan. But these games are too pathetic and painful to watch. People can keep saying it's just April (May now), but facts are that our start cost us a playoff spot last year, and the odds of a 25-5 run again are VERY low. A mere 3 game winning streak seems impossible right now. This team at current pace will surpass the 2001 team for the most disappointing in my time as a White Sox fan.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 1, 2011 -> 07:00 AM)
I haven't even been watching the games. I watched them all for the first two months last year, hell I watched them all in 2007, so I know bad stretches when I see them. But this year is just particularly unwatchable IMO. The "all in" campaign that now looks like a complete joke, the early losses due to dropped fly balls, bad bullpen work, and bad defense, and the shellshock this team (particularly the offense) has been in since those horrible early losses. All of it combined just makes this team impossible to watch for me, and this is the first time I can say that in all of my time as a fan. I pay attention to the box score, results, and our record and standings place every day because I'm no bandwagon fan. But these games are too pathetic and painful to watch. People can keep saying it's just April (May now), but facts are that our start cost us a playoff spot last year, and the odds of a 25-5 run again are VERY low. A mere 3 game winning streak seems impossible right now. This team at current pace will surpass the 2001 team for the most disappointing in my time as a White Sox fan.

This is a good post. I understand what you are saying. It truly is painful to watch simply because it's the same thing every f***ing night, except for two nights in New York and the offense was putrid in both the victories there as well.

If the Sox were winning once in a while, it'd be watchable, but right now it truly is torture.

Can you imagine trying to sell tickets when your most loyal fans simply can't bring themselves to watch this trainwreck?

If the Sox get swept by Baltimore, somebody has to be fired.

This is just too much.

It'd be different if the team hasn't been so rocky for three seasons now.

I've been watching a lot and I can't believe how bad a hitter Adam Dunn is and how sick it is to see highly paid ballplayers hit pop up after pop up and weak grounder after weak grounder.

Did you see the stat the Sox are hitting something like .210 the last 14 games or something wild like that??

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 1, 2011 -> 01:07 AM)
This is a good post. I understand what you are saying. It truly is painful to watch simply because it's the same thing every f***ing night, except for two nights in New York and the offense was putrid in both the victories there as well.

If the Sox were winning once in a while, it'd be watchable, but right now it truly is torture.

Can you imagine trying to sell tickets when your most loyal fans simply can't bring themselves to watch this trainwreck?

If the Sox get swept by Baltimore, somebody has to be fired.

This is just too much.

It'd be different if the team hasn't been so rocky for three seasons now.

I've been watching a lot and I can't believe how bad a hitter Adam Dunn is and how sick it is to see highly paid ballplayers hit pop up after pop up and weak grounder after weak grounder.

Did you see the stat the Sox are hitting something like .210 the last 14 games or something wild like that??

Yeah, the offense has just been lost basically since the Oakland series ended. It is a long season, so any firesale should wait until July IMO. But make no mistake, if this team is out of it in July, the firesale is probably coming. Which leaves us with another dilemma: does anybody want Kenny Williams orchestrating a fire sale? I sure as hell don't, I'm not even sure KW would know how to do such a thing.

As for firing Ozzie, as much as I've been calling for his head for a long time, I generally don't think firing a manager during the season does a lot. It's usually good for nothing more than a modest dead cat bounce, and the cases where it's worth more are generally limited to teams out of it at the end of the season (like the Cubs and Baltimore last year). But desperate times call for desperate measures, and they don't get much more desperate than a team "all in" with a record payroll being among the worst in baseball.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Most of us probably agree that it's time for some kind of shake up. Perhaps they should start by benching a couple of guys.

The player who has most earned some time on the bench is Rios. Pierre and Beckham are vying for second place in that race.

You simply can't have your leadoff hitter with a .286 OBP, and just 2 extra base hits, while being caught stealing 7 out of 12 attempts.

As for Beckham, he just may have been better off spending a couple seasons in the Minors. He'll likely be a star, but these prolonged slumps suggests that he may not be quite ready.

Unfortunately, the Sox don't have anyone in the minors who is making a case for a call up.

Here's my attempt at a shake up line up:

CF Lillibridge

2B Vizquel

RF Quentin

DH Dunn

1B Konerko

SS Ramirez

LF Teahen

C A. J.

3B Morel

So I've benched the 3 worst performing guys, save Dunn, whose LH presence they need in the lineup.

Vizquel is a consumate pro, and would be able to handle the #2 hole responsibilities quite capably, while providing stellar defense

Lillibridge deserves a chance a some regular playing time. He's already out "slugged" Rios in a quarter as many AB's. Let him play until he earns his way back onto the bench.

I put Teahen in LF because at least he hasn't sucked at the plate, and his LH bat would give the lineup better balance, at least until Dunn actually starts to contribute.

I know that this represents a pathetic 'stab' at trying to fix what appears to be broken, but maybe it would wake some people up.

It's either something like what I'm suggesting, or firing the manager and coaches, or a fire sale. This team simply can't be allowed to perform this badly with complete impunity.

Someone has to be held accountable.

While all this goes on, a young team like Cleveland is gaining important confidence and belief in themselves, and the Tigers can stabilize themselves and take over this division. You can't count on everyone losing to let you in-and there is no sign this team has any chance of putting a long streak together even if that happens

I was chastising people for panicking two weeks ago, but this is truly awful. Like 2007 awful. And awful across the board: pitching, defense, hitting. So yeah I'm concerned, in that you can't win a season first half but you certainly can dig too much of a hole to ever get out of.

Is it too early to say that corpseball has returned?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 08:13 AM)
I could give a s*** about how many games back we are in the loss column. The much larger concern is that we are playing like absolute horses***, with no end in sight. I haven't the slightest clue why or how we seem to go through prolonged streaks like this every season...

I can't even watch them lately...thank goodness for the NBA Playoffs.

This.

It's not even enjoyable to watch this team right now. While I think they'll eventually turn it around and contend down the stretch, I'm not looking forward to the late season "what ifs". Really disheartening to see them throw games away early that seem to have sent the entire team into a downward spiral. My wife appreciates that the tv is open but, that's the only positive at this point.

The good news is that noone, not writers, not fans, not saber sites, saw this team performing this poorly. It's nearly impossible to fool everyone so I've got to believe that eventually the talent on this team will have to show up. The opposite can be said for CLE and KC.

But in the meantime, I've got much better things to do with 3 hours of each day than to watch these professional baseball players pretend that they suddenly forgot how to play the game as individual performers and as components of a team. It's truly embarrassing. I was screwing around on the computer and listening to the mlbtv feed in the background last night when Dunn was up with the bags juiced. I flipped over to actually watch and thought to myself, "alright big man, this is why we brought you here....do some damage." Then he watched strike 3 cross home plate. I should've known not to watch.

As someone else pointed out, if the diehards aren't wanting to watch this monstrosity, what in the world are casual fans thinking? If this team continues to play like this, even slightly better than this, the franchise is doomed for several years.

I know this is getting away from the point of the OP but what I'm getting at is that coming out of the gate this poorly can ruin attendance for an entire season. If they go on a little run, given the way they've performed, people will be thinking that it's a lucky run and forget that the run represents what this team was built to be. And when that attitude change prevails (could happen when 10 games back in APR) then they still won't show up at the park.

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 01:39 PM)
I still watch all the games I can. Man, last night's started out so well and then they just slowly, carefully ripped my heart out and pissed on it all at once. But yea, I've been training some Pokemon on my DS during the games because if I focus on just the game and it goes the way it's been going, I go mad.

That made me laugh out loud, or LOL, if you will.