Hey Look - Today is a NEW DAY!!!!

Andrew

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As infuriating and depressing as it is to watch this offense step up to the plate and fail time after time after time, there is one thing that would be even worse to watch: failure by the pitching staff.

To me, the silver lining in all this is that the pitching has been good enough to win, certainly good enough to be .500 or better. The early struggles of the pen aside, the starters have been solid.

I have far more faith in hitters turning around their season then I do a pitching staff doing the same thing.

Well, lets see.............not much in the way of positives, but here goes.

1. It appears as though the schedule must call for a lot of home games against the division during the summer. Could be fun boys.

2 Interleague plays has always been good to us.

3. They seem to be sticking together, no finger pointing so far.

4. Warmer weather warmer bats.

5. Once considered hopeless maybe they will stop pressing. Have some fun and play with wreckless abandon.

Edited by since56

No place to go but up from here. That's the silver lining.

Exactly. We've officially hit the bottom; can't get any worse than "worst." More or less what I was getting at.

I'm just hoping the SP is still hanging in there if/when this team finally decides to start hitting.

QUOTE (Andrew @ May 5, 2011 -> 07:21 AM)
Exactly. We've officially hit the bottom; can't get any worse than "worst." More or less what I was getting at.

I'm just hoping the SP is still hanging in there if/when this team finally decides to start hitting.

Or when they decide to start trading the starting pitchers. Timing (and need/supply & demand) is everything.

We could put every single member of the rotation (and Peavy) up for auction theoretically.

You'd have to think Floyd, Peavy and Humber are the most likely to be around in 2012 at this point. Then you have Sale, so that's 4/5th's of the theoretical rotation, along with who we get back for Danks/EJax/Buehrle.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2011 -> 08:49 AM)
Or when they decide to start trading the starting pitchers. Timing (and need/supply & demand) is everything.

We could put every single member of the rotation (and Peavy) up for auction theoretically.

You'd have to think Floyd, Peavy and Humber are the most likely to be around in 2012 at this point. Then you have Sale, so that's 4/5th's of the theoretical rotation, along with who we get back for Danks/EJax/Buehrle.

Memorial Day. Watch.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 5, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
We're averaging less than 2 runs per game over a 21 game stretch. That is the most horrendous stat I've ever seen. Is it 1968?

And somehow not a single step has been taken to address the teams woes. No player has been sent down and no one on the coaching staff has been let go. Unbelievable.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 5, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)
And somehow not a single step has been taken to address the teams woes. No player has been sent down and no one on the coaching staff has been let go. Unbelievable.

I'm not one of those knee jerk fire people...but i'm trying to think of another example of someone getting a gigantic budget and having the worst launch in its history, and keeping control of the project.

The Twins have pulled the plug on Casilla as the everyday SS and were THIS close to pulling Liriano and Blackburn from the starting rotation before we faced them.

When Nishioka comes back, he will be playing SS with Cuddyer at 2B.

They've also removed Nathan as the closer. I'm sure you'll see 2-3 of their middle relievers (Hughes, Hoey and Burnett) sent down or released as well.

The only thing we've changed is Thornton for Santos. We can't even bite the bullet on Pena.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)
The Twins have pulled the plug on Casilla as the everyday SS and were THIS close to pulling Liriano and Blackburn from the starting rotation before we faced them.

When Nishioka comes back, he will be playing SS with Cuddyer at 2B.

They've also removed Nathan as the closer. I'm sure you'll see 2-3 of their middle relievers (Hughes, Hoey and Burnett) sent down or released as well.

The only thing we've changed is Thornton for Santos. We can't even bite the bullet on Pena.

And Thornton was still brought in during the 9th inning in New York, so he still hasn't 100% lost the job.

I usually say give it time, but when it's this bad, something needs to change, and yet nothing has. Even with Pierre leading off and stealing bases. I don't mind being agressive on the basepaths, but when he is under 50%, stop f***ing running so much.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ May 5, 2011 -> 05:28 AM)
I still have faith.

A nice long winning streak and the Sox will be right back in the thick of things.

Last year I hated it when hawk brought up the 83 team and how poorly they started before going on to win 99 games and the division. They were 14-21 at one point then turned it around. So it's not impossible. I really believe in the pitching we have.

The worst case scenario here isn't that the team will lose a bunch more games - because that would cause action. Nor is it that the team gets red hot, because its still early enough that such a run could put them right back in it.

The worst case scenario is that the team gets a little better. Better enough that no changes are made, but not better enough to get competitive again.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)
I saw that on the Score's stupid texts facebook page.

What exactly is the rumor? Ryno to manage the Sox?