The Creator of "Teen Mom" and "16 and pregnant"

Kyyle23

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/04/t...dex.html?hpt=C2

First off, I have to say these shows really disgust me. In the above article, the creator discusses how he doesnt think it glamorizes teen pregnancy and it is a good show to prevent it. I call bulls***.

These documentary series tell the honest, unpleasant truth of teen pregnancy in America -- the whole truth. It's not a fairy tale where every girl ends up with the American dream -- a loving husband, a white picket fence and the career they've always hoped for.

These young women struggle to make ends meet. They make mistakes as they try to navigate an adult life too soon. Relationships with their partners, parents and friends often crumble, and the pressure of raising a child is often too much to bear.

The part in this quote that bothers me the most is the part that mentions that these young women struggle to make ends meet. Yes, the kids in the real world, not on MTV, absolutely struggle to make ends meet. The girls on this show, not at all. First off, MTV pays them. And pays them well. Second off, these girls are cover girls. If you walk through any supermarket, you will see these girls on the cover of People, Star, Us, Teen magazine. They call the tabloids and get paid for photoshoots. MTV is making the problem worse by glamorizing the stars and enabling them.

We believe that our audience is smart enough to view "Teen Mom" and "16 and Pregnant" as the shows were intended -- as cautionary tales about the consequences of unprotected sex, and the reality of becoming a parent too early.

If these guys honestly believe that teenaged girls are all smart enough to see it as a cautionary tale, and not just another reality show that you can get on if you get knocked up, I have some oceanside real estate in Iowa to sell them.

Some critics say these shows glamorize teen pregnancy. Some have even suggested that by airing these programs MTV inspires copycat behavior. Forgive the analogy, but this is like claiming people are becoming obese for a chance at fame on a reality weight-loss show.

You mean certain people dont try and gain weight so they can get on biggest loser? I bet they do.

Thoughts?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 5, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
The part in this quote that bothers me the most is the part that mentions that these young women struggle to make ends meet. Yes, the kids in the real world, not on MTV, absolutely struggle to make ends meet. The girls on this show, not at all. First off, MTV pays them. And pays them well. Second off, these girls are cover girls. If you walk through any supermarket, you will see these girls on the cover of People, Star, Us, Teen magazine. They call the tabloids and get paid for photoshoots. MTV is making the problem worse by glamorizing the stars and enabling them.

If MTV pays them they must not get the money until after filming. My wife and I actually got caught up in the first season of teen mom and the girls on there had plenty of struggles and not much money. One was even dumb enough to fall for a scam on Craigslist when she tried to sell her car.

I'm not far removed from high school, and I'm talking about a small public one, and I really don't think there is hardly anyone that would get knocked up because of this show. I think the benefit far outweighs the cost.

god help us!

link

The fastest-rising names for both girls and boys came from a pair of reality TV shows called "16 and Pregnant" and "Teen Mom." Maci was the biggest riser among girls, jumping 423 spots to No. 232. Among boys, Bentley shot up 414 spots to No. 101.

Maci Bookout has starred as a teen mother on the MTV shows. Her baby's name is Bentley.

"It certainly tends to say this is what people are watching and what they are connecting with," Astrue said. "I'll leave it to others to explain the phenomenon."

QUOTE (Jake @ May 5, 2011 -> 09:00 PM)
I'm not far removed from high school, and I'm talking about a small public one, and I really don't think there is hardly anyone that would get knocked up because of this show. I think the benefit far outweighs the cost.

Assumption.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ May 6, 2011 -> 09:01 AM)
god help us!

link

The fastest-rising names for both girls and boys came from a pair of reality TV shows called "16 and Pregnant" and "Teen Mom." Maci was the biggest riser among girls, jumping 423 spots to No. 232. Among boys, Bentley shot up 414 spots to No. 101.

Maci Bookout has starred as a teen mother on the MTV shows. Her baby's name is Bentley.

"It certainly tends to say this is what people are watching and what they are connecting with," Astrue said. "I'll leave it to others to explain the phenomenon."

Fact.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 6, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
There are kids that will do anything to get famous because they think the faces on US weekly is the pinnacle of life. Getting pregnant is not outside of that craziness.

Absolutely agree.

Y'all know there are a lot of girls choosing to get pregnant. And one of my 8th graders gave birth a month or so ago. A lot of her classmates thought it was cool and wished it could be them. We have so many teen moms the school district has a full time teacher just to visit all the girls and help them with their homework.

I think people just try to make the most of a negative situation.

s***, I'm pregnant, might as well try and get paid then!

Not, let's make a baby so there's an outside chance I'm the one teen pregnancy chosen for television!

QUOTE (Jake @ May 6, 2011 -> 07:26 PM)

Not, let's make a baby so there's an outside chance I'm the one teen pregnancy chosen for television!

You need to stop giving people credit... There are a lot of incredibly dumb people out there.

I am certain there is a lot of that. But look at how kids dress, act, etc. it is all influenced by pop culture. When the culture celebrates something, it encourages that behavior. That's been going on forever. That's why products use celebrity endorsements. Be like MJ and wear Hanes. Be like the girls on TV. How many kids went out and did jackass stunts?

I was 18 the first time I got pregnant ...can I get a show and some cash flow, please?!

These shows are addicting as hell, I'm not even gonna lie. I do spend most of the time cussing at the tv and calling people names, but I still tune in the following week.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 7, 2011 -> 04:27 AM)
I am certain there is a lot of that. But look at how kids dress, act, etc. it is all influenced by pop culture. When the culture celebrates something, it encourages that behavior. That's been going on forever. That's why products use celebrity endorsements. Be like MJ and wear Hanes. Be like the girls on TV. How many kids went out and did jackass stunts?

Heck how many kids were named "Jordan"?

Kids do weird s*** for attention. Including getting pregnant and even killing themselves.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 9, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
Kids do weird s*** for attention. Including getting pregnant and even killing themselves.

I won't argue that SOMEONE will have a kid because of that show.

But it would be so few that I think the show helps discourage many more pregnancies than it would cause.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 10, 2011 -> 11:48 AM)

But it would be so few that I think the show helps discourage many more pregnancies than it would cause.

Frankly, I would guess the show discourages probably 0 pregnancies. I really doubt that many teens are going to be thinking of 16 and pregnant just before sex.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 10, 2011 -> 11:48 AM)

Anyone who would be discouraged by what happens on that show is probably smart enough to not watch that crap in the first place.