Most disappointing team in MLB History?

Real

How bad are we?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. If we lose 95+ this year, would it be the most disappointing team in MLB History?

• Yes
    • No

I think some of the Mets teams in recent years received more attention than we ever will. Any Yankees/Red Sox teams that don't win the World Series. Cubs in recent years. We're irrelevant, really.

4-18, 4-18, 4-18

Only have to go 1-8 now to reverse-equal the 26-5 run from last year. I feel it's inevitable at this point.

6-24 in our last 30 against the Twins, etc.

Aww, people are afraid to vote yes, even though it's OBVIOUSLY the right answer. Name a f***ing team with 125+ million payroll that lost 95+ games in a year? Please, name one. Even the Mets didn't lose that many

I don't think we're going to lose more than 95 games.

Probably 87-91, is my guess. About where the 2007 team ended. Depends on how many of our veteran players are traded, as well.

This is our worst 20 game offensive run since 1968.

An abysmal .202 average over that time, and tonight was a putrid 5 for 30, so that .167 probably brings it down to exactly .200 over a 21 or 22 game stretch.

Of course, something that happens once every 43 years, accompanied with a $128 million dollar price tag, doesn't result in any type of coaching or personnel change.

Edited by caulfield12

They're not gonna lose 95+ games. They're gonna finish 82-80, 83-79 like always

Never bad enough to get the #1 pick, never good enough to win the series (sans 05) always in the middle of the pack draft wise where they can never get that impact player, or they swing and miss and the impact player goes 4 picks after the Sox.

Side note, if the Sox did ever get the #1 pick is there a doubt in anyone's mind they'd JaMarcus Russell it anyway?

QUOTE (Cali @ May 7, 2011 -> 06:05 AM)
They're not gonna lose 95+ games. They're gonna finish 82-80, 83-79 like always

Never bad enough to get the #1 pick, never good enough to win the series (sans 05) always in the middle of the pack draft wise where they can never get that impact player, or they swing and miss and the impact player goes 4 picks after the Sox.

Side note, if the Sox did ever get the #1 pick is there a doubt in anyone's mind they'd JaMarcus Russell it anyway?

I think u are wrong this time. This is the year we lose, lose, lose.

Look at how dead we continue to look. The M's, who are not a great team by any means, were all energetic, taking singles in the ninth to win it.

The White Sox are a team with so many weaknesses it will be difficult to win any given night.

This team will lose 95 games easy; I'd say over 100.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 7, 2011 -> 01:40 AM)
I think u are wrong this time. This is the year we lose, lose, lose.

Look at how dead we continue to look. The M's, who are not a great team by any means, were all energetic, taking singles in the ninth to win it.

The White Sox are a team with so many weaknesses it will be difficult to win any given night.

This team will lose 95 games easy; I'd say over 100.

lol@the new greg. Your transformation this year has been startling. Mine built up over a year or so. Took you about a month.

Ozzie Throws Yet Another Sox Player Under the Bus (My Title, not Trib, lol)

"Bad play by Beck," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "I asked third base coach (Jeff Cox) what's going on there? We asked (Beckham) to let the ball go through. That's between the third base coach and him.

"The play we got on, we have to let the ball go through. He went as soon as the ball was hit. I think he just froze."

Phil Humber, who will stay in the rotation when Jake Peavy returns, allowed one hit through the first five innings. Peavy was scheduled to rejoin his teammates by Friday night's first pitch. Guillen indicated Phil Humber has pitched well enough to stay in the rotation. The Sox are likely not to use a six-man rotation but they occasionally may skip a starter's turn or move one back for a more favorable matchup.

www.chicagotribune.com/sports (Mark Gonzales)

"We don't expect Morel to hit .350, but the thing with everyone hitting .190 and .200, it's simplified," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "It looks that bad. This kid is going to hit. He has good at-bats. But if everyone hits the way they're supposed to hit, it makes it easier for him."

Morel has no walks in 75 at-bats, but he just wants to work more favorable counts and not take away aggressiveness.

"It's just a fine line," Morel said. "I know I've scuffled, but I've scuffled at every level so it's nothing new."

No word on who possibly would be out of the rotation, though. I can hardly imagine they'll put Edwin Jackson and his $8.5 million dollar salary in the bullpen when they're going to have to maximize his value in terms of a return in trade in a month or two.

Edited by caulfield12

I would like to know whats the highest $M per win is.

Like for instance, if a team wins 100 games with a $100M payroll, then they roughly "paid" $1M/win.

The higher the $M/win, the worse. I think this team may end up winning 70 games, with a $127M payroll. That's $1.8M/win.

Obvious these numbers look awful for teams like the Red Sox/Yankees who may win 100 games, but spend $300M, so then the number is $3M/win, and it doesn't really prove anything since they are obviously a good team, but for teams in the normal pay ranges, I'm interested to see the numbers.

Morel has no walks in 75 at-bats, but he just wants to work more favorable counts and not take away aggressiveness.

I didn't realize he has no walks.

Maybe pitchers are coming rite at him believing he simply has no pop. I thought he'd have a good year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2011 -> 02:38 AM)
"We don't expect Morel to hit .350, but the thing with everyone hitting .190 and .200, it's simplified," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "It looks that bad. This kid is going to hit. He has good at-bats. But if everyone hits the way they're supposed to hit, it makes it easier for him."

Simplified? lol. I think he means magnified. Ozzie gets dumber every year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 7, 2011 -> 03:50 AM)
I didn't realize he has no walks.

Maybe pitchers are coming rite at him believing he simply has no pop. I thought he'd have a good year.

I figured he'd have a rough start and then people would wind up getting tired with him and Ozzie would be benching him regularly rather than giving him a shot to play through the struggles.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 7, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
Let's wait until the end of the year or at least the All-Star break before we start throwing around the history part. But if we lose 100, it probably would be the most expensive ever!

Only because last year's Mets didn't get to 100 losses. Which tells you how unlikely 100 losses is.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
Only because last year's Mets didn't get to 100 losses. Which tells you how unlikely 100 losses is.

We'll win games based on talent alone later on in the year. When it warms up and we are 15-20 games back Dunn, PK, and Q will mash us to victories. The SP is solid enough as well to get us some wins. I think we'll end up with 75-78 wins. My hope is if this road trip goes 2-7 or worse we have to be realistic and start planning for the future. If we're 14 or 15 games out, and in last place, there is no coming back from that. I'm interested to see what Kenny does with a bottom three farm system, and bad money invested next season in Rios, Peavy, AJ, Ohman and Dunn. We're looking at a few probable dark years till things turn around.

Edited by Chisoxrd5

QUOTE (Chisoxrd5 @ May 7, 2011 -> 10:07 AM)
We'll win games based on talent alone later on in the year. When it warms up and we are 15-20 games back Dunn, PK, and Q will mash us to victories. The SP is solid enough as well to get us some wins. I think we'll end up with 75-78 wins. My hope is if this road trip goes 2-7 or worse we have to be realistic and start planning for the future. If we're 14 or 15 games out, and in last place, there is no coming back from that. I'm interested to see what Kenny does with a bottom three farm system, and bad money invested next season in Rios, Peavy, AJ, Ohman and Dunn. We're looking at a few probable dark years till things turn around.

That's very optimistic. When it warms up it does it for the other teams as well.

I think we've seen enough of what Kenny has done with a farm system. While this may not be his fault but scouting and drafting needs to improve. How are the coaches at the developing levels. I get the impression the organization believes they can fix major deficits like playing defense and knowing the fundamentals when in most cases if those things aren't already there they will never happen. To me it's like those NFL GMs who get suckered by a players skills at the Combine and forget there is a difference between athletes and football players.

This team is stuck with guys like Rios and AJ because the farm doesn't give the team an option. Filling CF has become real expensive since 2005. There is still that hole at 3rd. Some would argue that forced Beckham into the majors too soon. An old man had to replace Teahan last year. Everyone shakes their head at that contract.

This organization needs a complete overhaul and Kenny is not one I would trust to do that.

Juuuust a bit of hyperbole? I'm sure there have been more disappointing teams in MLB history. This is a team that was objectively expected to contend, or perhaps slightly favored, to win a weak division. This wasn't an odds-on favorite to win the Series or anything. And for an analysis of this to encompass MLB History, you also have to ignore payroll and focus on the roster (so as to include teams prior to free agency, inflation, etc). Teams with much higher expectations have also s*** the bed.

QUOTE (maggliopipe @ May 7, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
Juuuust a bit of hyperbole? I'm sure there have been more disappointing teams in MLB history. This is a team that was objectively expected to contend, or perhaps slightly favored, to win a weak division. This wasn't an odds-on favorite to win the Series or anything. And for an analysis of this to encompass MLB History, you also have to ignore payroll and focus on the roster (so as to include teams prior to free agency, inflation, etc). Teams with much higher expectations have also s*** the bed.

read the first post, i was very specific, i included payroll in determining how much of a disappointment it would be if they lost 95 or more games, you can ALSO include talent

To be honest I didn't have great expectations for this team to start with, I thought we'd be much better than we are but there were still some question marks going into the season. 2006 was extremely disappointing because had we not had a bad stretch or two during the season, we would've definitely repeated.

Honestly I have to say 2006 was more disappointing for me as well... we had career offensive numbers out of just about everyone but the pitching just couldn't keep up. There seemed like a stretch of a month where Garland was the only guy that could win. I expected this team to win this division but not dominate or anything. I AM disappointed but failure wasn't a forgone possibility. I'm sad and angry that this team sucks ass but meh. We should get better in the long run if we can make some smart sells at the deadline..

Guy on 3rd base with one out and infield in results in the contact play about 99% of the time. Beckham did nothing wrong there. Funny thing is that it should be Ozzie's responsibility to tell Cox whether or not contact play is on. If Beckham missed a sign, then that reflects poorly on Ozzie due to Omar missing a sign the other day also.

Edited by fathom