6 man rotation???

soxfan420

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan420 @ May 13, 2011 -> 10:23 PM)
Let's drop him while we can get something in return for him since, what do you think we can get back in return?

Multiple blue-chip prospects. Or at least KW shouldn't settle for anything less. That said, he's not going anywhere at the moment. And I think it's nuts to act as if this rotation is legitimately six deep. Humber has been a great story so far. But would you really feel confident in trading any starter, let alone your best starter in Danks, because Humber has pitched well for a month? And then Peavy will be a start-by-start risk for the rest of his career.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 14, 2011 -> 12:09 AM)
Multiple blue-chip prospects. Or at least KW shouldn't settle for anything less. That said, he's not going anywhere at the moment. And I think it's nuts to act as if this rotation is legitimately six deep. Humber has been a great story so far. But would you really feel confident in trading any starter, let alone your best starter in Danks, because Humber has pitched well for a month? And then Peavy will be a start-by-start risk for the rest of his career.

After the Swisher and Javy trades I have no trust KW will get anything decent in return for Danks, I'd rather opt for the draft picks after 2012

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ May 14, 2011 -> 02:43 AM)
After the Swisher and Javy trades I have no trust KW will get anything decent in return for Danks, I'd rather opt for the draft picks after 2012

This is totally fair. After the last few years, KW will have to win multiple trades before he can be trusted in that capacity again. But I'd rather take my chances with that than to rely on this organization and draft picks.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 14, 2011 -> 02:53 AM)
This is totally fair. After the last few years, KW will have to win multiple trades before he can be trusted in that capacity again. But I'd rather take my chances with that than to rely on this organization and draft picks.

Yes, a catch 22 of sorts.

As of this moment, you don't trade him for a goddamn thing.

Oh, and not wanting to count on Peavy? How about not wanting to count on Phil Humber...you know, the dude who is 28 and has never had any sort of sustained success at the major league level? He's proven he can be adequate, but you are talking about replacing a guy who is almost an ace with a guy who is probably a 4.50 ERA type guy at his best. That is absolutely absurd.

As of right now, the Sox have, optimistically, anywhere from a 25-50% chance of winning the division. If they trade Danks, that drops to 5-10%.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 14, 2011 -> 05:02 AM)

Oh, and not wanting to count on Peavy? How about not wanting to count on Phil Humber...you know, the dude who is 28 and has never had any sort of sustained success at the major league level? He's proven he can be adequate, but you are talking about replacing a guy who is almost an ace with a guy who is probably a 4.50 ERA type guy at his best. That is absolutely absurd.

As of right now, the Sox have, optimistically, anywhere from a 25-50% chance of winning the division. If they trade Danks, that drops to 5-10%.

20% at BP.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/odds/

Tigers projected to win the Central with 85 victories.

You mean Humber's .213 BABIP is unsustainable? You've got a lot of nerve! His current rate stats are totally flukish and his below average 5.18 K/9 doesn't do anything to mask that. Smoke and mirrors for the most part. As the weather heats up and he starts seeing better offenses, reality will set in. Not that he possibly couldn't be serviceable all year. But trading guys because we have Humber? lol.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 14, 2011 -> 07:48 AM)
You mean Humber's .213 BABIP is unsustainable? You've got a lot of nerve! His current rate stats are totally flukish and his below average 5.18 K/9 doesn't do anything to mask that. Smoke and mirrors for the most part. As the weather heats up and he starts seeing better offenses, reality will set in. Not that he possibly couldn't be serviceable all year. But trading guys because we have Humber? lol.

He was striking out 6.65/9 with the Royals and they let him go. As did the Twins and A's.

It's a little too early to read anything much into the stats until he has at least 15 starts. He's working fast and usually has kept his pitch count quite low (hence, pitching into the 7th inning a number of times)...sometimes, strikeouts are less desired than keeping your fielders alert and into the game, as we've learned to appreciate with Buehrle.

For whatever reasons, he's been able to pitch out of trouble quite frequently this year, and his curveball has been more consistent than Floyd's.

Does it really matter if Danks is striking out 7-8 batters per game if his pitch count is elevated and he has to leave in the 6th usually?

Let's just wait and see what happens with this six man rotation. Theoretically, the starters will all be able to go an extra inning and add 10-20 pitches per game. We'll see if that also results in an uptick in their strikeouts, "stuff" and velocity.

Great post. I'll never understand why people buy so much into the minutia of major league baseball, when it is such a long season.

You think the chances of the Sox winning the division are that high?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 14, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)
You think the chances of the Sox winning the division are that high?

Yeah that's a stretch as is using the word ace in the same sentence as John Danks. And yes I know he used the qualifier "almost".

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 14, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)
Yeah that's a stretch as is using the word ace in the same sentence as John Danks. And yes I know he used the qualifier "almost".

Saying that the chances of them winning the division are around 25% is a stretch, but I can accept that. Adding in the "-50%" is what made me do a double take.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 14, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
Saying that the chances of them winning the division are around 25% is a stretch, but I can accept that. Adding in the "-50%" is what made me do a double take.

Hence the optimistically.

Bottomline, trading John Danks is dumb right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
One more losing streak and it becomes smarter.

Of course, that's why I qualified it with "right now."

I don't foresee this team going on another losing streak like that. I've been wrong before, but it seems that the worst is behind them.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 14, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
Of course, that's why I qualified it with "right now."

I don't foresee this team going on another losing streak like that. I've been wrong before, but it seems that the worst is behind them.

They have a different bounce in their step right now. I think it got so bad that they said the hell with it, let's have some fun and see what happens. And now we are seeing the results of the talent taking over. Getting the bullpen settled into their roles is starting to produce results, and the bats are starting to heat up a bit.

I'd be surprised to not see a sustained run of .550-600 baseball over the next few months.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 14, 2011 -> 02:36 PM)
They have a different bounce in their step right now. I think it got so bad that they said the hell with it, let's have some fun and see what happens. And now we are seeing the results of the talent taking over. Getting the bullpen settled into their roles is starting to produce results, and the bats are starting to heat up a bit.

I'd be surprised to not see a sustained run of .550-600 baseball over the next few months.

Really? You'd be surprised to not see a run like that? They played about 6 weeks of bad baseball before that. I dunno. I just don't get the optimism of some people.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 14, 2011 -> 02:36 PM)

It has nothing to do with "bounce in their step." They're simply playing better baseball. And it's not surprising. This isn't a 65-70 win team. Consistency, save 2005, has always been the major issue during the Ozzie/KW era. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this team get back to .500 only to revert back to their earlier struggles.