How can the White Sox possibly lose money?

caulfield12

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 26, 2015 -> 07:07 PM)
and as i have always said..... what the in hades to i know. ;)

Here's a more specific article on the Cubs' situation.

Epstein predictably calling the expected new deal "a paradigm shifter."

http://chicago.suntimes.com/uncategorized/...venue-stream-2/

Edited by caulfield12

lol I just read the first 5 pages of this thread and was like IMMA JUMP IN WITH THE NEW MEDIA DEAL STUFF HOW HAS NOBODY MENTIONED IT.

old thread is old.

Yea, as said, with the new TV money everyone is MLB is making bank. This isn't even factoring in the MLBAM profits, which every team gets a cut.

I'd guesstimate the Sox are gonna clear 50 million this year, as will most teams. The real shame is teams like Oakland refusing to up their payroll for a year or so, now that is stingy ownership.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 26, 2015 -> 08:46 PM)
lol I just read the first 5 pages of this thread and was like IMMA JUMP IN WITH THE NEW MEDIA DEAL STUFF HOW HAS NOBODY MENTIONED IT.

old thread is old.

Yea, as said, with the new TV money everyone is MLB is making bank. This isn't even factoring in the MLBAM profits, which every team gets a cut.

I'd guesstimate the Sox are gonna clear 50 million this year, as will most teams. The real shame is teams like Oakland refusing to up their payroll for a year or so, now that is stingy ownership.

Well, on one hand, with that stadium situation out there and being held hostage by MLB and the Giants, it's hard to blame them.

I'm guessing that this roster shakeup has a lot more to do with Beane's desire to reshape the roster than it is purely for financial reasons, but it's probably a combination of both.

If you look at the NL West, you have the Astros (who some are projecting for the World Series in 2017 and 2018), the Rangers with all their tv money, the Angels with their market and nearly unlimited payroll and the Mariners acting as if they have an unlimited payroll, there's no way for that franchise to outspend their competition anyway, so they just have to work smarter and harder, like Friedman with the Rays for all those years.

nice post. in the AL west. the only team i see that can give the angels a run would be Tex. that team as made is really uhhh underrated.

in the AL East, i still Bos as the team. i can't even see anyone else. that doesn't mean some other team will not make a run, i just don't see it.

AL Central.... i will refrain. i am too much of a chi person that i will not be neutral.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
If you're going to constantly b**** and complain about the Sox not spending enough on players, I'd prefer you just become a Yankees fan. I'm tired of hearing about this.

i was thinking the same about you, i don't see you posting anything. btw, this is a forum and you can easily ignore what anyone post.

you are sooo funny.

QUOTE (Armchair Hahn @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 02:44 PM)
why would we burden ourselves with the financial health of the white sox? I watch baseball to enjoy a game, not to speculate on their profits. Leave that to the 'real world'.

yeah you got a point. i will rehash one of my old discussion of JR in the 90's.

JR has the right to make money. this is a business but if the sox are really interested in winning it all, they are 1 or 2 player short.

circa 96-2001. i kept on saying they needed a pitcher a better pitcher but i was talking up JR as being an owner.

i am still saying the say thing, 1 player away, a starting pitcher. he is a business man and what he can make for the other owners fine. but do not try to deceive us, the fans by crying poor, no money coming in. b/c of the attendance the sox have a limited backroll.

pure and simple lies and deceit. in other words no respect for the fans of the white sox.

yeah you got a point. i will rehash one of my old discussion of JR in the 90's.

JR has the right to make money. this is a business but if the sox are really interested in winning it all, they are 1 or 2 player short.

circa 96-2001. i kept on saying they needed a pitcher a better pitcher but i was talking up JR as being an owner.

i am still saying the say thing, 1 player away, a starting pitcher. he is a business man and what he can make for the other owners fine. but do not try to deceive us, the fans by crying poor, no money coming in. b/c of the attendance the sox have a limited backroll.

pure and simple lies and deceit. in other words no respect for the fans of the white sox.

Whether or not to sign a player isn't just about this year's payroll number. Any good player is getting a multiyear deal and the decision whether or not to sign impacts payroll for several years down the road. Plus there is the consideration of how good the player might be towards the end of the deal compared to what he will be making. You have to assess the risk of being stuck with a bad contract, because when a big money player goes bad you can't really afford to release him so aside from the money the guy is eating up a roster spot. Dunn and Danks are recent examples of bad contracts but for the most part the Sox avoid getting stuck in those.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 03:08 PM)
Whether or not to sign a player isn't just about this year's payroll number. Any good player is getting a multiyear deal and the decision whether or not to sign impacts payroll for several years down the road. Plus there is the consideration of how good the player might be towards the end of the deal compared to what he will be making. You have to assess the risk of being stuck with a bad contract, because when a big money player goes bad you can't really afford to release him so aside from the money the guy is eating up a roster spot. Dunn and Danks are recent examples of bad contracts but for the most part the Sox avoid getting stuck in those.

and that is one of several reasons to sign or not to sign a player, if it is thru the FA rt. you are kinda of changing your tone. you were up in arms for me complaining.

the other reason to look at getting a player |s| is for short term, b/c the minors are really close to start to producing.

another reason to get a player is for coverage and backup in case of injury and no viable options in the minors.

and that is one of several reasons to sign or not to sign a player, if it is thru the FA rt. you are kinda of changing your tone. you were up in arms for me complaining.

the other reason to look at getting a player |s| is for short term, b/c the minors are really close to start to producing.

another reason to get a player is for coverage and backup in case of injury and no viable options in the minors.

Not directed specifically at you, but I am up in arms for the constant complaining about the team payroll being less than what people think it should be. There are a lot of very good reasons not to sign or trade for a player beyond the impact on the current season's payroll total. The team has proven time and again that they will add quite a bit of payroll in circumstances where they see value.

As of right now, the 2015 payroll sits around $116 million, when back in November the consensus was that a payroll of around $100 million was a reasonable expectation. The Sox are $16M above that and people are still b****ing about not spending more money.

Unless the Sox are 100% certain that they are not going to keep Samardzija beyond 2015, signing another starting pitcher to a 4+ year deal doesn't make a lot of sense because there's no guarantee he will be any help to a Sale-Samardzija-Quintana-Rodon-Adams rotation in 2016.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)
Not directed specifically at you, but I am up in arms for the constant complaining about the team payroll being less than what people think it should be. There are a lot of very good reasons not to sign or trade for a player beyond the impact on the current season's payroll total. The team has proven time and again that they will add quite a bit of payroll in circumstances where they see value.

As of right now, the 2015 payroll sits around $116 million, when back in November the consensus was that a payroll of around $100 million was a reasonable expectation. The Sox are $16M above that and people are still b****ing about not spending more money.

Unless the Sox are 100% certain that they are not going to keep Samardzija beyond 2015, signing another starting pitcher to a 4+ year deal doesn't make a lot of sense because there's no guarantee he will be any help to a Sale-Samardzija-Quintana-Rodon-Adams rotation in 2016.

the payroll was and has been establish by the owners. it is there right to do so. but in the same breath, do not preach b/c of lack of fans and money coming from that avenue, they could only afford X, Y, Z players. but in truth the sox had the ability to afford more, b/c of the other income that the fans didn't know. i been preaching that there is this cache of hidden revenue that the owners of the sox do want to let the fan base know.

bottom line, the sox have the monetary resources to field a better team, my b**** is to finish the job you started. do not the same attitude of the 90's and field a team that may be good enuf to make the playoff.

QUOTE (Armchair Hahn @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 08:44 AM)
why would we burden ourselves with the financial health of the white sox? I watch baseball to enjoy a game, not to speculate on their profits. Leave that to the 'real world'.

This usually happens when one side or the other gets unrealistic expectations about how much the Sox should/could/would be spending on payroll.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 03:35 PM)
This usually happens when one side or the other gets unrealistic expectations about how much the Sox should/could/would be spending on payroll.

but isn't that a subjective kind of a word. also is that the kind of blind loyalty the maybe the sox ownership wants.... not to question, not to expect anything more than what they want to field without question, just continue to spend money.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 09:24 AM)
Yes

I would just like to point out that you are replying to a post from 2011 in which Soxbadger asked whomever "if they'd like to run in the negative." Had they done so starting at that point in time, the Sox would not have been able to have the offseason they did just under 4 years later.

That's why you don't run in the negative.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 09:58 AM)
but isn't that a subjective kind of a word. also is that the kind of blind loyalty the maybe the sox ownership wants.... not to question, not to expect anything more than what they want to field without question, just continue to spend money.

It is subjective, and that is why these conversations end up stretching for pages and pages.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 10:03 AM)
I would just like to point out that you are replying to a post from 2011 in which Soxbadger asked whomever "if they'd like to run in the negative." Had they done so starting at that point in time, the Sox would not have been able to have the offseason they did just under 4 years later.

That's why you don't run in the negative.

True. If they had spent, just to spend, they could have other contracts on the books currently which would have prevents the moves they made this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 09:53 PM)
I post this mostly for the detailed payroll number.

Will Siskel ‏@willsiskel 23m23 minutes ago

White Sox payroll at $118,249,666 right now. A James Shields signing (let's say 24 million over four years) would bring them to $142mill.

many thanks

QUOTE (Armchair Hahn @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 10:25 PM)
James Shields would be a horrible signing on many fronts. 1) no money 2) penchant for giving up homers - especially in this park? 3) old(er)

i will not discuss #1 with you.... my problem with shield is his performance in the playoff. he is requesting how much and then look at his performance.......