Bad Ass ALL STAR Vato Loco???

chetkincaid

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 17, 2011 -> 10:33 PM)
Konerko?

Good point. With the team's offensive struggles, I kinda forgot how well Paulie has started the season. Although he has some tough competition with AGon, Cabrera, and Tex (Yankee fan vote).

Konerko should make it. But I don't know how Santos isn't the top reliever in baseball at this point. He should make it too assuming he doesn't collapse here. He hasn't given up a run for crying out loud. And we all know how useless saves is as a statistic since it's predicated on things outside a reliever's control.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 17, 2011 -> 10:54 PM)
Our record.

Eh... But does the Sox record really have all that much to do with individual performances and all star consideration? I mean why is it Konerko and Santos' fault that the team got off to such a crappy start?

Edited by Chet Kincaid

With all of the competition, Konerko would have a very hard time getting in. Nobody on the Sox will get voted onto the team and with their terrible record, it's likely that only one player will be chosen. Again, that would make it hard for Konerko. Santos is the easy and clear choice at this point.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 18, 2011 -> 12:18 AM)
With all of the competition, Konerko would have a very hard time getting in. Nobody on the Sox will get voted onto the team and with their terrible record, it's likely that only one player will be chosen. Again, that would make it hard for Konerko. Santos is the easy and clear choice at this point.

I hate to say it, because it's basically company line, but that's a terrible record right now. And considering that they have been playing better recently and the schedule getting easier in the coming weeks, I would venture to guess that they'll be around or above .500 at the time of the All-Star Break.

I say that with a caveat of course, because the 2007 Sox were actually 24-25 at the end of May and interleague play was their undoing, as they went 4-14 against the NL that year. The Cubs and Phillies were good teams, but the Marlins, Astros, and Pirates were not, and they went 3-6 against those 3.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 18, 2011 -> 12:28 AM)
I hate to say it, because it's basically company line, but that's a terrible record right now. And considering that they have been playing better recently and the schedule getting easier in the coming weeks, I would venture to guess that they'll be around or above .500 at the time of the All-Star Break.

I say that with a caveat of course, because the 2007 Sox were actually 24-25 at the end of May and interleague play was their undoing, as they went 4-14 against the NL that year. The Cubs and Phillies were good teams, but the Marlins, Astros, and Pirates were not, and they went 3-6 against those 3.

CLE (2)

LAD (3)

AT TEXAS (3)

AT TORONTO (4)

AT BOSTON (3)

DET (3)

What is getting easy about that schedule? We've played horribly against Texas and Toronto the last half-decade...Cleveland's in first place and has the 2nd or 3rd best record in all of baseball, winning 1/3 in Boston is challenging enough and then we haven't beaten Detroit in months.

I guess you must have meant 3 weeks from now when we finally get the Mariners at home. That's the first "easy" team in sight, and considering our home record, and that we'll probably face either Pineda or Felix, a sweep isn't something I'd be counting on.

OPTIMISTICALLY, I'm HOPING they can be at 5 games below .500 after this aforementioned stretch of games.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 18, 2011 -> 03:06 AM)
CLE (2)

LAD (3)

AT TEXAS (3)

AT TORONTO (4)

AT BOSTON (3)

DET (3)

What is getting easy about that schedule? We've played horribly against Texas and Toronto the last half-decade...Cleveland's in first place and has the 2nd or 3rd best record in all of baseball, winning 1/3 in Boston is challenging enough and then we haven't beaten Detroit in months.

I guess you must have meant 3 weeks from now when we finally get the Mariners at home. That's the first "easy" team in sight, and considering our home record, and that we'll probably face either Pineda or Felix, a sweep isn't something I'd be counting on.

OPTIMISTICALLY, I'm HOPING they can be at 5 games below .500 after this aforementioned stretch of games.

Indeed, traditionally this would look like a death trap, but so did heading out west for 9 days to Seattle, LA and Oakland and we managed to go 6-3 with our offense still generally sucking.

So who knows, but yes after this stretch we don't have a hard stretch of games the rest of the year it appears, so keep the fingers crossed. No way can we do anything if Gordon, Rios, Pierre (since he'll never be pulled from the lineup) and Dunn continue to suck of course.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 17, 2011 -> 10:41 PM)
Konerko should make it. But I don't know how Santos isn't the top reliever in baseball at this point. He should make it too assuming he doesn't collapse here. He hasn't given up a run for crying out loud. And we all know how useless saves is as a statistic since it's predicated on things outside a reliever's control.

Santos has been pretty incredible. One of the few good things to happen to this franchise amongst the avalanche of bad the last few years. But the Kimbrel kid from Atlanta has been the top reliever to this point.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2011 -> 05:33 AM)
Santos has been pretty incredible. One of the few good things to happen to this franchise amongst the avalanche of bad the last few years. But the Kimbrel kid from Atlanta has been the top reliever to this point.

Don't forget Venters, he'd be right up there in top closers if he wasn't relegated to setup duty because of Kimbrel.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 18, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
Don't forget Venters, he'd be right up there in top closers if he wasn't relegated to setup duty because of Kimbrel.

I can't believe their pitching depth. They spit out both of these guys within weeks of each other last year. While other dumbass teams are overpaying for mediocrity.