Ozzie vs Soxtalk

Texsox

36 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been right more or less than Ozzie in game situations?

• I have been right more times
    • About the same
    • Ozzie has been right more than I
    • Hey, you are making another point

Since there was such good discussion regarding K-Dubya, I thought an Ozzie discussion could plow some new fields. Once again, how are the amateurs doing against the guy that gets paid the big bucks to guide the Sox?

For the record, I've become a bit of an Oz.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 18, 2011 -> 07:11 PM)
I know I was right every single time that Ozzie started Kotsay over Andruw Jones.

To be fair, Andruw was very very streaky. When he was good, he was really good. When he was bad, my god he was bad. I remember numerous times last year where just about everybody wanted Jones released.

Ozzie had Jerry Owens starting over Quentin.

In the American League you have a lineup spot for a guy who just hits. He doesn't have to play defense, he just hits. Of course Ozzie decided to use that position to stash spare parts surrounding the talents of a pinch hitter who Pods out OPS'ed.

2 outs, man on first. He is going no matter who and what the situation is.

We have a supposed stealing leadoff hitter that gets regularly bunted over. Including last year when he stole a crapload of bases.

The inability to reference stats over what hand a person prefers. And example would be using a left handed pitcher against a left handed hitter when the left handed pitcher has inverse effectiveness. Stacking right handers against Johan over and over. Stacking left handed pinch hitters against Mariano.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 18, 2011 -> 08:17 PM)
To be fair, Andruw was very very streaky. When he was good, he was really good. When he was bad, my god he was bad. I remember numerous times last year where just about everybody wanted Jones released.

His streakiness was entirely health related

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 18, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)
No, he had a hit-and-run with Beckham batting and The Bridge on 2nd. It was a stupid call, and it failed miserably.

You don't hit and run with a runner on 2nd. Lillibridge was going for the steal. And he would have probably gotten it too if Beckham (why is he still starting everyday, this is the worst he's ever been) doesn't chase badly and give Marson an easy throw to 3rd.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 19, 2011 -> 12:20 AM)
You don't hit and run with a runner on 2nd. Lillibridge was going for the steal. And he would have probably gotten it too if Beckham (why is he still starting everyday, this is the worst he's ever been) doesn't chase badly and give Marson an easy throw to 3rd.

You don't think it was Ozzie's call? If not, then I blame Brent for being so dumb as to make the 1st out at 3rd, and Beckham for lounging to get a pitch that was way away. It looked like a H&R if I've ever seen one.

Fellas, fellas.... with our:

Team RISP: 1-for-8.

Team LOB: 4.

And our 1-0, W tonight......

Really, aren't we being a little speculative here? I mean, it was THE Jake Peavy pitching...well, his 2nd start....after his...shoulder muscle like....fell off his bones or something.... last year.

Point is: Ozzie engineers GREAT offensive in-game calls, as you can plainly see from these results and the stats.

$100M+ payroll, my friends, and a flourishing system just waiting....Hell Yes! I prolly don't need to remind you of Dallas McPherson's scorching single up the middle last night.....

F*** the haters who don't see this.

I trust this settles all doubts/questions regarding our 90Ws, eventual winning of the Pennant, Title, etc.

Love,

Greg W.

Edited by Andrew

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 18, 2011 -> 11:30 PM)
You don't think it was Ozzie's call? If not, then I blame Brent for being so dumb as to make the 1st out at 3rd, and Beckham for lounging to get a pitch that was way away. It looked like a H&R if I've ever seen one.

There is no such thing as a hit and run with a runner on 2nd. Your not opening up a big enough hole on the defense, and with that angle, the batter swinging can only make the catchers job easier. Plus, whether you like him or not, Ozzie ain't that dumb to hit and run with Beckham at bat, no matter what the situation is.

With the full count and Beckham failing to get the runner over with the bunt, plus with Lilli having good speed and he did get a good jump, it wasn't a terrible idea.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 19, 2011 -> 01:48 AM)
There is no such thing as a hit and run with a runner on 2nd. Your not opening up a big enough hole on the defense, and with that angle, the batter swinging can only make the catchers job easier. Plus, whether you like him or not, Ozzie ain't that dumb to hit and run with Beckham at bat, no matter what the situation is.

With the full count and Beckham failing to get the runner over with the bunt, plus with Lilli having good speed and he did get a good jump, it wasn't a terrible idea.

Ok, so then chalk it up to Brent making a boneheaded baserunning mistake, and Beckham being worse than we imagined.

How can anyone defend either of those steal calls?

1. Adam Dunn is much more likely to strike out than to ground into a double play. MUCH more likely. He's probably also more likely to launch a double.

2. Lillibridge is really fast and already in scoring position! Any base hit scores him, and next up is Juan Pierre, the absolute worst guy on the team for a sacrifice fly! Dude has to literally swing as hard as he can to get it to sac fly depth. This one was an absolute horsesh*t call, period.

Ozzie sucks. He runs us out of games on a PROLIFIC basis.

This is a tough one to judge, because I don't pay attention to the game like I am managing it. Sometimes I second guess ozzie, but there is no way to tell if it would have worked out better my way. Just because his way did not work out, does not make me right.

I will never forgive Ozzie for leaving in Linebrink against the Cubs at Wrigley field. I forget which year it was but we all knew it was the wrong decision and it cost us the game. We had a 5-1 lead going into the 8th and we could've thrown Thornton and Jenks at them and instead we gave them Liney, the Cubs scored 4 in the 8th and one in the 10th to win it as I recall.