Interesting Trade Possibilities.

balfanman

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2011 -> 06:11 PM)
The Yankees wouldn't part with montero for Greinke last winter and they needed pitching more then

Yeah, but teams are more inclined to give up a little more when they think a player could be the piece that they need to win that year. If the Yanks think they're a John Danks away from the World Series, and other teams are interested in him (Boston), they could be talked into giving up better pieces.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Knackattack @ May 19, 2011 -> 10:18 PM)
Yeah, but teams are more inclined to give up a little more when they think a player could be the piece that they need to win that year. If the Yanks think they're a John Danks away from the World Series, and other teams are interested in him (Boston), they could be talked into giving up better pieces.

The Yankees will also be less motivated to move a catcher now that Posada is struggling.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2011 -> 08:33 AM)
The Yankees will also be less motivated to move a catcher now that Posada is struggling.

Keep in mind they also have Romine and Sanchez so if they aren't willing to move Montero maybe they'd move one of the other two. I wouldn't mind having Romine in the system at all.

I'll just say it. I'd rather have Danks than Grienke if I were New York. Danks seems like he has far thicker skin to handle pitching in New York, plus I think you benefit having strong lefties in New York since from the offensive standpoint lefties have such an advantage with that short porch (and Danks could shut em down).

Let's just try to dump Pierre+Teahen+Cash on someone for below average OF that can backup a Viciedo/Lilli platoon. I'd take almost anyone. Give them to Philli for Francisco or Mayberry. Just get them off our damn team and let's start the Tank Era already.

Also keep all our starters. We should be using Humber in the pen anyway. Then if one of our starters go down we don't have to scramble for a fill-in. Though I WOULD love to see Sale get a spot start or two. Don't think that'll happen though.

QUOTE (typewritermender @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
Let's just try to dump Pierre+Teahen+Cash on someone for below average OF that can backup a Viciedo/Lilli platoon. I'd take almost anyone. Give them to Philli for Francisco or Mayberry. Just get them off our damn team and let's start the Tank Era already.

Also keep all our starters. We should be using Humber in the pen anyway. Then if one of our starters go down we don't have to scramble for a fill-in. Though I WOULD love to see Sale get a spot start or two. Don't think that'll happen though.

Why would teams want our crap and bad contracts?

QUOTE (typewritermender @ May 20, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)

He's not stretched out, so it's not gonna happen. Only way I could see that happening is if we go like 2-10 over our next 12 and give up on the year. Then Sale would get sent to AAA to get stretched out and maybe be up to make a couple starts in September. That's the only scenario where I think he makes a start in Chicago this year.

QUOTE (typewritermender @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)

Yes, it's always a brilliant idea to relegate the guy who has been your best pitcher all year to the bullpen.

Look, I get that people don't expect Humber to keep this up. I don't either. But we need to ride this hot hand for as long as we can in order to catch back up on this huge deficit.

Anyone who would take Humber out of the rotation before he at least starts to show signs of slowing down is, quite frankly, a moron.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:35 PM)
Yes, it's always a brilliant idea to relegate the guy who has been your best pitcher all year to the bullpen.

Look, I get that people don't expect Humber to keep this up. I don't either. But we need to ride this hot hand for as long as we can in order to catch back up on this huge deficit.

Anyone who would take Humber out of the rotation before he at least starts to show signs of slowing down is, quite frankly, a moron.

Sorry, that's ridiculous. Humber is clearly our 6th starter. He was a fill-in for Peavy, who's back now, and pitching great (granted it's only 2 starts). Who else are we gonna relegate to the pen? Ejax? Danks? We shouldn't keep up a 6-man rotation...that's not allowing our best pitchers enough starts. And we shouldn't trade a good pitcher JUST so that a guy who's been dumped by a bunch of teams and happens to have had a few good starts can be in our rotation. It's always good to have a backup plan. Humber is our backup plan, not the anchor of our rotation. MAYBE if he had a perfect record with a few complete game shutouts. He hasn't been LIGHTS OUT. He's been GOOD. Certainly better than expected. But he's the odd man out. No question.

QUOTE (typewritermender @ May 20, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)
Sorry, that's ridiculous. Humber is clearly our 6th starter. He was a fill-in for Peavy, who's back now, and pitching great (granted it's only 2 starts). Who else are we gonna relegate to the pen? Ejax? Danks? We shouldn't keep up a 6-man rotation...that's not allowing our best pitchers enough starts. And we shouldn't trade a good pitcher JUST so that a guy who's been dumped by a bunch of teams and happens to have had a few good starts can be in our rotation. It's always good to have a backup plan. Humber is our backup plan, not the anchor of our rotation. MAYBE if he had a perfect record with a few complete game shutouts. He hasn't been LIGHTS OUT. He's been GOOD. Certainly better than expected. But he's the odd man out. No question.

If the pitchers keep performing like this...yes, Edwin goes to the bullpen.

QUOTE (typewritermender @ May 20, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)

Remember when Loaiza almost won the Cy Young? Did anyone see that coming? Point is, Humber is pitching arguably better than any of our starters right now and it'd be foolish to remove him. The odds he regresses are still ridiculously high, but until he actually starts to show signs of doing so you need to keep running him out there. Because he's currently giving the team a great chance to win almost eveyr time he takes the mound.

QUOTE (typewritermender @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)

I just have to disagree with you here, man.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 20, 2011 -> 02:04 PM)
Remember when Loaiza almost won the Cy Young? Did anyone see that coming? Point is, Humber is pitching arguably better than any of our starters right now and it'd be foolish to remove him. The odds he regresses are still ridiculously high, but until he actually starts to show signs of doing so you need to keep running him out there. Because he's currently giving the team a great chance to win almost eveyr time he takes the mound.

Exactly. It'll likely end sooner or later, but you have to ride that hot hand.

Edited by Milkman delivers

He should have to pitch himself into the bullpen, so far he's been consistently good this season. Ejax has been the one that deserves to go the the bullpen.

He has a 3.18 ERA with a .95 WHIP. So whether or not you believe he is the 6th starter or the odd man out, his numbers in real live games are evidence enough that he deserves more chances. There are plenty of examples of people who have roved around a bit before they found a home and got better.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 20, 2011 -> 08:09 PM)
Exactly. It'll likely end sooner or later, but you have to ride that hot hand.

I agree too.

Phil Humber may have an Esteban Loaiza or Jason Bere type season for all we know. And if that's the case, keep him in there.

If we give up this season, and Humber continues to deal, I'd definitely look to deal him. I like him but he is 28, has a screw in his elbow, and clearly pitching over his head. With him being cheap and performing good, we might be able to get a decent young player for him.

Vladimir Guerrero just had his 6th straight multi-hit game today.

Do you think the Sox could trade Adam Dunn to the Orioles for Guerrero and their first round draft pick?

It would be good if they could. That way the Sox could have 2 professional hitters on the team.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 20, 2011 -> 11:11 PM)
If we give up this season, and Humber continues to deal, I'd definitely look to deal him. I like him but he is 28, has a screw in his elbow, and clearly pitching over his head. With him being cheap and performing good, we might be able to get a decent young player for him.

Really? Humbers a Dfa candidate until at least next year. No one is giving you anything based on 3 months