Interesting Trade Possibilities.

balfanman

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2011 -> 10:23 PM)
Really? Humbers a Dfa candidate until at least next year. No one is giving you anything based on 3 months

Im not buying that, if the Sox are forced to sell off in June and Humber still has an ERA in the low 3's we will most certainly be able to get something from him..

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 20, 2011 -> 11:48 PM)
I don't understand the posters who want Lillibridge to start.

Guys, he's not a starter in the big leagues. He's a damn fine utility player though.

Because Juan Pierre has trouble catching the ball and is under 50% in stealing bases, which is his best attribute.....

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2011 -> 10:23 PM)
Really? Humbers a Dfa candidate until at least next year. No one is giving you anything based on 3 months

Playoff contending teams are always looking for starting pitching, and if Humber can continue to do what he has, plus with him being cheap... It's not outside the relm of possibility.

Now the question is if KW would trade him and take the risk of becoming a stud for someone else?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 20, 2011 -> 11:48 PM)
I don't understand the posters who want Lillibridge to start.

Guys, he's not a starter in the big leagues. He's a damn fine utility player though.

Um, because he has earned the right to at least be given a chance considering who we have playing in front of him... So far this year he has looked like a much better baseball player than Juan, Gordon and Rios.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2011 -> 09:23 PM)

I disagree with this emphatically...not saying he will net any kind of top prospect quite yet, but finding cheap, effective starting pitching around the deadline is kind of like finding the Lochness monster, isn't it?

If they're not in the hunt, I can see several changes. Buehrle has been pitching exceptionally well lately, so he'll command at least two first-round pick type talents. The Sox still need protection in case he's dealt, so they'll need at least one top pitching prospect as Danks is 1 ½ years away from free agency.

Think Mark G. has the Buehrle compensation a little exaggerated with the salary he's making. Don't imagine in my wildest dreams getting two first round pick talents back. For Danks, yes.

from Mark Gonzalez mailbag

www.chicagotribune.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 21, 2011 -> 03:46 AM)
If they're not in the hunt, I can see several changes. Buehrle has been pitching exceptionally well lately, so he'll command at least two first-round pick type talents. The Sox still need protection in case he's dealt, so they'll need at least one top pitching prospect as Danks is 1 ½ years away from free agency.

Think Mark G. has the Buehrle compensation a little exaggerated with the salary he's making. Don't imagine in my wildest dreams getting two first round pick talents back. For Danks, yes.

from Mark Gonzalez mailbag

www.chicagotribune.com/sports

Yeah, he's on crack...I think Mark might bring back one high upside player that's in High A ball or something, but that is as high-ceiling as it's going to get IMHO.

Why not start by trying to determine what the starting rotation could look like for the next couple of years?

The Sox have Floyd, Sale, Humber and Peavy under their control, if they want them, for two years or more after this season.

Humber only has one year of ML service time, so he could be an inexpensive back of the rotation starter for a long time.

Buerhle and Jackson will be Free agents, and Danks only has one more year before also becoming a free agent.

If the Sox could sign Danks to a long term contract, their pitching could be very good for the next 3 years.

Jackson and Buerhle would be my personal choices to trade for young talent.

I think that we have to root for both of them to do well, so that we could get something back from a contender, around the trading deadline.

Who are the teams to which Mark would agree to be traded? The contract should not be that big of an issue to a contender. After all, it would only be for a part of this season. They wouldn't owe him anything next year, and could get the draft pick.

What is the highest priority in a trade?

I still think that a good left handed bat should be a priority. All of our decent prospects are right handed, as is everyone on the ML roster except Dunn.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ May 20, 2011 -> 10:15 PM)
Vladimir Guerrero just had his 6th straight multi-hit game today.

Do you think the Sox could trade Adam Dunn to the Orioles for Guerrero and their first round draft pick?

It would be good if they could. That way the Sox could have 2 professional hitters on the team.

This makes my head hurt.

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ May 21, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)
I believe if Mark gets traded an additional year on his contract is automatically invoked.

Incorrect. That was true prior to last year. However, that clause in Mark's contract expired.

The difference now is that M-56 has full 10-5 rights, which means he has 10 years in the bigs and 5 years with the same team...which gives him full veto power over any trade.

If Mark wants to allow a trade right now, he can simply approve it. If Mark doesn't want to be traded, he can insist that his option year is picked up, or he can insist on more than that, whatever he wants.

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ May 21, 2011 -> 09:32 AM)
I believe if Mark gets traded an additional year on his contract is automatically invoked.

That was last year (and it would have jumped to $15 million guaranteed for 2012 had he been traded in 2011).

But he still has the NTC.

Edited by caulfield12

I remember when the Sox and Buehrle's agent had a huge s***fit about the some details related to the NTC and I was thinking it was so dumb and pointless to argue about since Buehrle's 10-5 rights would kick in before the contract expired anyway. I wish I could remember a post I made from 4 years ago on WSI actually explaining what I'm talking about right now... ah well.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 22, 2011 -> 02:14 AM)
What were the interesting trade possibilities again?

None. We are 2 out of moving into 2nd, and were on a pretty nice hot streak right now. Considering the horrendous start we got off to, it looks like we've started to pull our head out of our ass..

QUOTE (T R U @ May 22, 2011 -> 02:46 AM)
None. We are 2 out of moving into 2nd, and were on a pretty nice hot streak right now. Considering the horrendous start we got off to, it looks like we've started to pull our head out of our ass..

I am in the "in" group, but I am still in for improving the team. I didn't see any "interesting" trade possibilities proposed.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 22, 2011 -> 12:13 AM)
When we get close to the trading deadline, GM's from all over will be lining up to trade with us, becasue they know they can get the best of Kenny.

That Geoff Blum for Ryan Meaux trade still stings. And losing Anthony Webster, Frank Francisco, and Royce Ring....s***, what am I going to do with myself?

Oh, and Nick Masset? s***, Ken Griffey Junior...he wasn't s*** but a ho (because he certainly wasn't a trick). Man, all I can think of when I go to sleep is "what if the Sox STILL TO THIS DAY had Nick Masset?"

(I hope I spelled his name wrong or forgot that he had a second brother in the system that was GOING to be a top prospect until his f***ing BROTHER GOT TRADED and now he's terrible or won't sign with the Sox because his "MARGINALLY TALENTED BROTHER" had success in AAAA)

Oh, and Dan Hudson would be nice. Wish I would have been able to watch a couple of his starts just to make sure that he was good. I bet Ken Williams and Ozzie Guillen would have been able to watch a couple of his starts too. Surely, their minds would have been swayed.

Given our lack of trading "chips", here's an idea that might be better than a trade:

Bring up Gallagher and platoon him at leadoff with Lillibridge.

Apparently, he knows the strike zone and has already drawn 25 walks in just 1/4 of a season, for a .389 OBP.

His OBP is even better vs. right handers at an impressive .410.

He has gap power and could play left.

I understand that he has just average speed, but who cares, if he can get on base?

Lillibridge is killing left handers again this season, after doing pretty well against them the end of last year.

I think most of us are learning to love this kid.

Some have pointed out that he would be overexposed playing every day.

He has done much better vs. lefties, so playing just a few times a week shouldn't be a problem in that regard.

This solution would result in Pierre being relegated to the bench, traded, or DFA'd.

That alone gives this idea merit.