6 man rotation

Lemon_44

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ May 27, 2011 -> 05:07 PM)
BTW, Ozzie's quote was NOT a direct reference to Humber, but you guys seem to love to freak out, so have at it.

“We have to know if this guy can pitch out of the bullpen, how long it will take to get loose,’’ manager Ozzie Guillen said. “There are so many things to go over with [pitching coach Don Cooper] to see about who is the best guy to go there. If Humber has to go there, that’s the way it is. We talk about a few players."

The quote mentions Humber by name, and it's a direct quote from Ozzie. What the hell are you talking about?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:48 AM)
My argument has honestly been that Humber has been the best starter, and thus should remain in the rotation. However, that should not be confused with me saying he must remain as such to stay in the rotation.

That is not a circular argument.

You are absolutely correct. The argument has been completely one-sided with you being correct at every point.

No matter what you think about Humber, it would be insane to move him to the pen.

Odds are that Humber is pitching waaay above his head, and this is his first time around the league so that helps too. But he's hot right now, why would you f*** with that right now?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 27, 2011 -> 06:11 PM)
The quote mentions Humber by name, and it's a direct quote from Ozzie. What the hell are you talking about?

The hell I'm talking about is I watched the interview from which the quote was pulled and Ozzie was speaking about any of the 6 candidates when referring to warm up time. It's even obvious in the

article. Read it again.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ May 27, 2011 -> 07:07 PM)
The hell I'm talking about is I watched the interview from which the quote was pulled and Ozzie was speaking about any of the 6 candidates when referring to warm up time. It's even obvious in the

article. Read it again.

No matter what you say, "If Humber has to go there, that’s the way it is" is a direct reference to Humber.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 29, 2011 -> 01:17 PM)
Looks like it IS Danks that deserves to be relegated to the bullpen. Ugh, we just can't win. I'm starting to actually believe that the years of no offensive support has taken a mental toll on him.

I said in the gamethread. It could be the league has figured him out. John has never improved off his breakout '08. Just the same pitcher for the most part. That could be me just being pessimistic. But it's something to think about. The numbers don't lie.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 29, 2011 -> 02:20 PM)
I said in the gamethread. It could be the league has figured him out. John has never improved off his breakout '08. Just the same pitcher for the most part. That could be me just being pessimistic. But it's something to think about. The numbers don't lie.

Danks i believe still has great potential. He has the stuff to be a possible #1 but I think he will be a good #2. The wheels have come off in May for Danks. He is still young and has room for improvement. He is a keeper unless some1 blows you away with an offer.

QUOTE (kapzk @ May 29, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
Danks i believe still has great potential. He has the stuff to be a possible #1 but I think he will be a good #2. The wheels have come off in May for Danks. He is still young and has room for improvement. He is a keeper unless some1 blows you away with an offer.

I totally disagree with you that he has the stuff to be a #1. Even when he was going well I didn't even think he was a true #2 (think Hamels or Cain). #3 is what he is/was.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 29, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
I totally disagree with you that he has the stuff to be a #1. Even when he was going well I didn't even think he was a true #2 (think Hamels or Cain). #3 is what he is/was.

Well i know what you mean but remember how great Danks was for about the first 1/3 of the season. He had an ERA around the low 2s. If he puts everything together that he can be a really great pitcher.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 29, 2011 -> 02:04 PM)
Edwin Jackson is a solid 3 or 4. Danks is way better than that.

Based on what? He has gotten no better the last three years and really struggles with his control. His average innings per start is 6. Thus he is a 6 inning pitcher a nice #3 and solid #4.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 29, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
Based on what? He has gotten no better the last three years and really struggles with his control. His average innings per start is 6. Thus he is a 6 inning pitcher a nice #3 and solid #4.

No, his average innings per start is greater than 6.2.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 30, 2011 -> 12:28 AM)
So how is this Danks debacle affecting his future with the White Sox and/or this huge FA contract he was bound to sign in the offseason.

I hope it affects it greatly on the sox side. I still want this guy re-signed (though I am a big Danks fan, believe he has the most upside/potential on our rotation) and I hope the lack of wins and "meh" ERA helps KW.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 29, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)

Based on the fact that he was a #1 starter from 2008 through 2010.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 30, 2011 -> 01:28 AM)
So how is this Danks debacle affecting his future with the White Sox and/or this huge FA contract he was bound to sign in the offseason.

He was never due to sign a huge FA contract this offseason unless he was traded.

It probably is making it much more likely that he'll be traded in the near future for a pittance, since his struggles are turning into White Sox losses, and if the White Sox aren't in this race, they're going to be sellers in June.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2011 -> 06:27 AM)
He was never due to sign a huge FA contract this offseason unless he was traded.

It probably is making it much more likely that he'll be traded in the near future for a pittance, since his struggles are turning into White Sox losses, and if the White Sox aren't in this race, they're going to be sellers in June.

Why would he be traded for a pittance?

I think it's the White Sox struggles are largely turning into Danks losses, although 30-40% of the blame resides with him, obviously. At this point, mentally, he must be drained, and there have to be 6-8 contending teams with strong offenses who believe he could be the final piece to get them over the hump.

He can't have completely devolved from a pitcher we'd sign for $75-125 million for five years into a pitcher who would be traded for a pittance in the span of just two months.

If they do trade Danks and get nothing much in return, it's asinine. When you're paying Pierre, AJ, Teahen, Dunn and Rios the money they're getting and Danks is supposed to be some sort of scapegoat who will purge the Sox malaise once he's gone?

In all likelihood, Humber will revert to a AAAA starter and our situation will be completely bleak.

If they want to turn this around, they have to elevate his value somehow. It's not going to come from pitching out of the bullpen.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 30, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
Why would he be traded for a pittance?

I think it's the White Sox struggles are largely turning into Danks losses, although 30-40% of the blame resides with him, obviously. At this point, mentally, he must be drained, and there have to be 6-8 contending teams with strong offenses who believe he could be the final piece to get them over the hump.

He can't have completely devolved from a pitcher we'd sign for $75-125 million for five years into a pitcher who would be traded for a pittance in the span of just two months.

If they do trade Danks and get nothing much in return, it's asinine. When you're paying Pierre, AJ, Teahen, Dunn and Rios the money they're getting and Danks is supposed to be some sort of scapegoat who will purge the Sox malaise once he's gone?

In all likelihood, Humber will revert to a AAAA starter and our situation will be completely bleak.

If they want to turn this around, they have to elevate his value somehow. It's not going to come from pitching out of the bullpen.

Well, because he's 0-8, he looks terrible on the mound, but he's also a guy who has a good salary that other teams would take on. That's why. If we're cost-cutting, people will still take on his money for this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 07:37 AM)
Because we have a lot more offdays in June, which means that those pitchers are going to go a full week between starts.

What we have done for years hasn't worked in September. Maybe less starts and more time between them does do it? Who knows.