6 man rotation

Lemon_44

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:33 AM)
And you have no idea how it is circular to say that Humber is our best starter so we can't send him to the pen, but even if he isn't our best starter, you can't send him to the pen? That passes for logic? Yeah, ok.

So are you arguing that unless Humber is our best starter, he has no business in the rotation?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:33 AM)
And you have no idea how it is circular to say that Humber is our best starter so we can't send him to the pen, but even if he isn't our best starter, you can't send him to the pen? That passes for logic? Yeah, ok.

It's not circular whatsoever.

Did you ever take a logic class?

I am working off of two premises here.

1) Humber has been our best starter.

2) The starting pitcher that goes to the bullpen should be the worst starter.

Now you are telling us:

If Humber is not the best starter, he should go to the bullpen.

This makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever.

My argument is that he has been the best starter thus far, however, as long as he is not the worst starter, he should not go to the bullpen.

This does not stike me as a circular argument.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
Its really apparent he is just looking to troll at this point.

Um no, I was specifically talking about Humber vs. Jackson, no where did I bring up Hudson. As much as I hated that trade, this is what we have, and the fix to this situation is not moving Humber out of the rotation.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
Its really apparent he is just looking to troll at this point.

Are you kidding me? Wtf are you talking about?

I may argue with certain posters quite a bit in here, but Russ knows I am always very interested in his opinion and very respectful of his posts.

Trolling? After 6 years and 10,000 posts I am f***ing trolling?

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)
Are you kidding me? Wtf are you talking about?

I may argue with certain posters quite a bit in here, but Russ knows I am always very interested of his opinion and very respectful of his posts.

Trolling? After 6 years and 10,000 posts I am f***ing trolling?

*Raises hand

I think that was directed at me.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
*Raises hand

I think that was directed at me.

No, it was directed at me alright.

I think that certain people have taken up such a hard stance about the Jackson/Hudson trade that it has caused Jackson to be a bit of a polarizing figure in here. Now I have been Jackson's biggest fan, or one of them anyways, and even I can see that Humber deserves to push him to the pen. I honestly would rather Danks go, but I don't want to crush his trade value right now, so I say if you can't stick with the 6 man rotation (and I am not sure why you can't), then Jackson has to be the one to go.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)
No, it was directed at me alright.

I think that certain people have taken up such a hard stance about the Jackson/Hudson trade that it has caused Jackson to be a bit of a polarizing figure in here. Now I have been Jackson's biggest fan, or one of them anyways, and even I can see that Humber deserves to push him to the pen. I honestly would rather Danks go, but I don't want to crush his trade value right now, so I say if you can't stick with the 6 man rotation (and I am not sure why you can't), then Jackson has to be the one to go.

I am actually shocked it isnt at me, didn't really make sense to me that it was at you...

I would trade Danks in a heartbeat if it meant getting back a studly young player at C, or a few stud SP prospects, but you don't trade him unless you get the package you need.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 27, 2011 -> 09:41 AM)
Shack's having a little trouble with reading comprehension today. ;)

EDIT: or not.

My argument has honestly been that Humber has been the best starter, and thus should remain in the rotation. However, that should not be confused with me saying he must remain as such to stay in the rotation.

That is not a circular argument.

My whole question was, why send anyone to the pen? Leave everythig as is. The Sox are on a nice stretch. If something changes and a pitcher starts throwing bad, then put them in the pen. Granted, because of track record, Humber would be on a shorter leash but sending him to the pen now doesn't make sense.

Factor in the history of the staff and the 6 man rotation makes more sense. Buehrle has had tired arm issues at the end of season, Floyd was shut down last year, Danks just recently became a 200 inning+ guy, who knows how long Peavy lasts, it seems like Jackson is the only "horse" and I'm not really sure of his past inning counts. Going with 6 gives all these guys extra rest for strong starts down the stretch. I think, other than Mike Marshall, people would agree that a well rested staff is a good thing, especially when you have 6 SP's throwing well and capable of pulling it off.

Humber is more important to this franchise in the present and in the future than Jackson or Buehrle. I'm fine with leaving the 6 man rotation together, but we need to help out the bullpen by finding someone to replace Pena. Crain and Santos are going to get burned out if not.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:20 AM)
Humber is more important to this franchise in the present and in the future than Jackson or Buehrle. I'm fine with leaving the 6 man rotation together, but we need to help out the bullpen by finding someone to replace Pena. Crain and Santos are going to get burned out if not.

But are they really pitching innings they wouldn't already be even if we had a 5-man rotation? The problem seems to be Thornton to me, not how many starters we have in the rotation.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ May 27, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
My whole question was, why send anyone to the pen? Leave everythig as is. The Sox are on a nice stretch. If something changes and a pitcher starts throwing bad, then put them in the pen. Granted, because of track record, Humber would be on a shorter leash but sending him to the pen now doesn't make sense.

Factor in the history of the staff and the 6 man rotation makes more sense. Buehrle has had tired arm issues at the end of season, Floyd was shut down last year, Danks just recently became a 200 inning+ guy, who knows how long Peavy lasts, it seems like Jackson is the only "horse" and I'm not really sure of his past inning counts. Going with 6 gives all these guys extra rest for strong starts down the stretch. I think, other than Mike Marshall, people would agree that a well rested staff is a good thing, especially when you have 6 SP's throwing well and capable of pulling it off.

I think the #1 reason is that it leaves the bullpen a man short.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 27, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
But are they really pitching innings they wouldn't already be even if we had a 5-man rotation? The problem seems to be Thornton to me, not how many starters we have in the rotation.

The bullpen isn't pitching more innings, but each reliever is.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 27, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)

It's tough when you only have two righty relievers that can be mildly trusted in a close game. There has to be some side-arm righty out there that can get righty hitters out.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ May 27, 2011 -> 05:39 PM)
Did Peavy's velocity drop between his second and third starts? Maybe having him through 110 pitches in his second game back wasn't such a great idea

Yes, about 3 mph. I don't think it was the 110 pitches, but maybe just the inconsistency that comes with rust.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:48 AM)
My argument has honestly been that Humber has been the best starter, and thus should remain in the rotation. However, that should not be confused with me saying he must remain as such to stay in the rotation.

That is not a circular argument.

I understood what you were getting at, and I agree. If the Sox said they were going to a 5-man rotation right now, and one of Buehrle, Danks, Jackson, Peavy, Floyd, or Humber must go to the pen, Humber would probably be my third or fourth choice. He's pitching well (very well) and it CURRENTLY the best pitcher in the rotation. Even if he regresses moderately, he could still be 4th or 5th starter caliber. I cannot see the argument for moving him to the pen right now.

Why not keep the 6 man and rather than worry about too much rest, have each guy get an inning or two here or there if there's an off day in the mix. are they going to get rusty or thrown off throwing 15-25 pitches on day 3 of a 6 day layoff, plus the work in the pen to warm-up? if you've noticed they've brought danks up at least once or twice in the pen. the too much rest argument or rhythm argument is stupid when you've got many options to fix that.

Based on performance right now, it should be Danks. He has the worst peripherals out of all the starters. Humber's probably the best starter on the team right now, putting him in the bullpen isn't really an option. It has to be between Danks and Jackson. If you put Danks in the pen, you lessen your chance of retaining him. Jackson is the better pitcher right now, but you're most likely going to forget about him after this season anyhow.

It really depends on how the front office views the outlook in the next few years. Personally, I think the 6 man rotation is working fine.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 27, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)
Based on performance right now, it should be Danks. He has the worst peripherals out of all the starters. Humber's probably the best starter on the team right now, putting him in the bullpen isn't really an option. It has to be between Danks and Jackson. If you put Danks in the pen, you lessen your chance of retaining him. Jackson is the better pitcher right now, but you're most likely going to forget about him after this season anyhow.

It really depends on how the front office views the outlook in the next few years. Personally, I think the 6 man rotation is working fine.

Is it fair to say Danks and Jackson are fairly close though? If so, I think you have to error on the side of Jackson for multiple reasons...