2011 Pre-Draft thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
I'd be down for Purke if he somehow slides to 47. Sox would obviously have to dish out some cash though (4 to 5M). Which they won't.

There is a shot Goodwin could be there too (drafted by Sox before, repped by Boras, kicked out of UNC and now playing for Miami Dade CC).

From everything I've read, it sounds like we shouldn't touch Purke with a 100 foot pole. I read a recent scouting report saying his fastball has dropped 4-5 mph since HS and he tires real fast. There are some serious injury concerns with him too. Couple that with his asking price, I have a feeling he will fall a lot and wind up returning to TCU.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)
From everything I've read, it sounds like we shouldn't touch Purke with a 100 foot pole. I read a recent scouting report saying his fastball has dropped 4-5 mph since HS and he tires real fast. There are some serious injury concerns with him too. Couple that with his asking price, I have a feeling he will fall a lot and wind up returning to TCU.

Pretty much. He isn't right at current time, and he isn't obligated to share his medicals either. Most speculation has him being picked by teams that have multiple selections and thereby can afford to miss out. Tampa and Boston are thrown around the most.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)

This is true, but he wouldn't be the first guy that you take a flier on that ends up working. His upside is much higher than almost any pick in that range. Now, I will say this, if the Sox were willing to spend that much, given teh depth of this draft, I'd rather they take a couple fliers on guys and give a few guys overslot money.

Purke has a lot of talent.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 05:57 PM)
Pretty much. He isn't right at current time, and he isn't obligated to share his medicals either. Most speculation has him being picked by teams that have multiple selections and thereby can afford to miss out. Tampa and Boston are thrown around the most.

Boston already hit a homerun last year on Ranaudo who slid massively due to some concerns but had just massive talent.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 08:46 PM)
Boston already hit a homerun last year on Ranaudo who slid massively due to some concerns but had just massive talent.

Yep, and they would be willing to do it again. Theo was quoted saying they are prepared to spend plenty this draft because of the uncertainty of any changes that might arise this off-season in the CBA.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
I can't see the Sox first pick being a guy with an injury history after seeing the conversation in the warroom during The Show last year.

And yet they picked a guy who fell due to injury risk concerns last year anyway.

Kevin_Goldstein

More pre-draft bonus demand letters arriving: OF Brandon Nimmo $3.0 million, 1B Dan Vogelbach $1.65 million, OF Derek Fisher $2.25 million

Jorge Arangure

Hearing an early July 2 tidbit. #Royals linked with OF Elier Hernandez. Likely to get $2-3m

Tyler Beede is the latest prospect to say that he plans to go to college:

Tyler Beede sends letter to area scouts saying he is going to Vanderbilt, asks teams not to contact him

http://twitter.com/#!/keithlaw/status/76787057615323136

Vanderbilt commits tend to be pretty strong so wouldn't be surprised if this one turns out to be true. Beede sounds like one of the more polished high school pitchers. Runs his FB up to 95 with advanced secondary pitches and command.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 05:05 AM)
A closer? No thanks.

It says that he has three potentially plus pitches from the left side. That's more than many Major League starters can boast.

Baseball America notes:

His size, athleticism and three-pitch mix will tempt teams to give him a shot as a starter in pro ball.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 07:06 AM)
It says that he has three potentially plus pitches from the left side. That's more than many Major League starters can boast.

Baseball America notes:

Just hinting at him eventually ending up as a closer or a left-handed set-up man is enough to make me look the other way. And Standford must think he isn't starter material (though I can't clarify) This franchise needs starting pitching in the worst way. And this draft is insanely deep with SP. Damn shame we don't have a first round pick this year. If the system didn't suck so bad, we land Dunn at the break last year and don't lose that critical pick. But don't want to do the dead horse thing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 08:52 AM)
I have no problem drafting in the mid-sandwich-round and walking away with a Closer.

Not with the starting pitching depth we have in the minors. We need legitimate SP prospects that in a absolute worst case scenario don't pan out and you have to relegate them to the bullpen.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
Not with the starting pitching depth we have in the minors. We need legitimate SP prospects that in a absolute worst case scenario don't pan out and you have to relegate them to the bullpen.

We're not getting an MLB ready starter in the sandwich round. Unless you like the Lance Broadway/Kyle McCullough type "Safe" picks.

If you get an MLB level player in the sandwich round, you're happy. If a closer is there that you value highly, you take that closer. Don't stretch just to get a starter in this spot.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 11:54 AM)
FrankiePiliere Frankie Piliere

Sources telling me the Astros are trying to cut a pre-draft deal with Stanford lefty, Chris Reed at #11. #mlbdraft

5 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

How can this happen?? Is this deal like "If you haven't been picked in the first 10, then we are drafting you #11" type thing? Because that's dangerous for them if something like a Chris Sale type thing happens where a top 3-4 pick drops a bunch of spots, and they can't draft him because they already agreed on someone else. I guess the advantage is to try and get Chris Reed to sign for less, and get him in to the system immediately?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 01:20 AM)
How can this happen?? Is this deal like "If you haven't been picked in the first 10, then we are drafting you #11" type thing? Because that's dangerous for them if something like a Chris Sale type thing happens where a top 3-4 pick drops a bunch of spots, and they can't draft him because they already agreed on someone else. I guess the advantage is to try and get Chris Reed to sign for less, and get him in to the system immediately?

My guess is because he is not expected to be in the top 10, so they are trying to talk numbers now.