Lilly flower

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone think that Rios might be the one to lose his job to Lillibridge? It occurred to me last night when I saw Rios hit a lazy weak fly ball to 2nd base when the bases were loaded, and also earlier when he hit what should have been a double play ball to the pitcher with the bases loaded.....

He just doesnt look like things are going to get better for him at this point.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 07:48 PM)
Does anyone think that Rios might be the one to lose his job to Lillibridge? It occurred to me last night when I saw Rios hit a lazy weak fly ball to 2nd base when the bases were loaded, and also earlier when he hit what should have been a double play ball to the pitcher with the bases loaded.....

Yes, Rios' playing time should be cut 1/3 to 1/2 immediately with Lilly the man in center.

It's about production. Lousy production for a full month is why we're so many games back. Rios has been bad for 2 months.

If you listen closely to Hawk and Stone, they're preparing the fans for Rios getting benched and Lillibridge being named a starter. Quite a few times yesterday, they were questioning Rios' effort to play the game the right way. Also, they kept talking about how when you're in a hole like the Sox are, you can't worry about hurting feelings and you play the guys who are playing your best.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)

I think a lot of people have been saying that...let's not think that Rios is unaware of his suckage, either. After he grounded back to the pitcher and came back and beat the hell out of the water cooler or something. They caught it on camera at first and then quickly cut away.

I still would rather keep Rios in and play Lilli for Pierre and Dunn and Beckham for the time being.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 01:58 PM)
If you listen closely to Hawk and Stone, they're preparing the fans for Rios getting benched and Lillibridge being named a starter. Quite a few times yesterday, they were questioning Rios' effort to play the game the right way. Also, they kept talking about how when you're in a hole like the Sox are, you can't worry about hurting feelings and you play the guys who are playing your best.

I really loved hearing Hawk say that, because it is exactly correct. I just wonder if Rios is the guy that needs to be replaced right now. I am still not convinced.

As for Hawk and Stone, do you notice how rude Hawk has been to Stone recently?

I can recall 3 times now where Hawk has made a statement, such as last evening:

"Victor Martinez is probably the best protection Miguel Cabrera has had since he's been in a Tiger uniform, and possibly, since he's been in the Major Leagues."

Stone sought to add to Hawk's point by saying "And he's a switch hitter as well."

At which point Hawk immediately interrupts him and says "Well THAT'S WHY I SAID HE's THE BEST PROTECTION! Because HE IS a switch hitter."

Then Stone just goes silent for about 30 seconds.

This has occurred a few other times as well recently, in very similar scenarios, where Hawk makes a bold statement, Stone tries to add to the statement by saying something that is actually factual and important, only to have Hawk then interrupt him and claim the point Stone made is exactly why Hawk said what he did in the first place, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Seems like something is going on between them.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 02:11 PM)
I really loved hearing Hawk say that, because it is exactly correct. I just wonder if Rios is the guy that needs to be replaced right now. I am still not convinced.

As for Hawk and Stone, do you notice how rude Hawk has been to Stone recently?

I can recall 3 times now where Hawk has made a statement, such as last evening:

"Victor Martinez is probably the best protection Miguel Cabrera has had since he's been in a Tiger uniform, and possibly, since he's been in the Major Leagues."

Stone sought to add to Hawk's point by saying "And he's a switch hitter as well."

At which point Hawk immediately interrupts him and says "Well THAT'S WHY I SAID HE's THE BEST PROTECTION! Because HE IS a switch hitter."

Then Stone just goes silent for about 30 seconds.

This has occurred a few other times as well recently, in very similar scenarios, where Hawk makes a bold statement, Stone tries to add to the statement by saying something that is actually factual and important, only to have Hawk then interrupt him and claim the point Stone made is exactly why Hawk said what he did in the first place, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Seems like something is going on between them.

It wouldnt be the first on-air partner that Hawk had a tiff with. But if Stone leaves because of Hawk, it will gain a hell of a lot more attention than DJ or Wimpy.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 07:11 PM)

I saw you list this above, and Pierre is clearly outplaying Rios right now. I know I'm the king of hyperbole, but Rios is doing nothing to help the Sox win games. Also, if Ozzie has to choose between Rios and Pierre, we know who he's going to select. I'd much rather see Lillibridge coming up instead of Rios any day of the week.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 08:17 PM)
It wouldnt be the first on-air partner that Hawk had a tiff with. But if Stone leaves because of Hawk, it will gain a hell of a lot more attention than DJ or Wimpy.

I noticed recently when Hawk makes a blatant comment like it's 100 percent accurate Stone just shut up. I was wondering if Hawk was wanting to pick a fight so to speak.

If Hawk is being a dick I would think Stone isn't the type to put up with it. Stone's a good color man and I'm sure Stone is aware of that.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
I saw you list this above, and Pierre is clearly outplaying Rios right now. I know I'm the king of hyperbole, but Rios is doing nothing to help the Sox win games. Also, if Ozzie has to choose between Rios and Pierre, we know who he's going to select. I'd much rather see Lillibridge coming up instead of Rios any day of the week.

Yeah, but given how bad they both are (Pierre and Rios), I think we stick with Rios because we have a ton more invested in him than Rios. Yes, we could sit him here and there, because I agree with Hawk about playing the hot hand and not worrying about feelings, but we're not talking Barry Bonds playing for him here, we're talking about Juan Pierre.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 08:24 PM)
Yeah, but given how bad they both are (Pierre and Rios), I think we stick with Rios because we have a ton more invested in him than Rios. Yes, we could sit him here and there, because I agree with Hawk about playing the hot hand and not worrying about feelings, but we're not talking Barry Bonds playing for him here, we're talking about Juan Pierre.

But Juan's actually showing improvement while Rios is just going through the motions and has been dreadful with RISP. Rios, especially on the road, has been killing this team.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)

Yeah I agree. Rios' potential is so far superior to that of Pierre, if he gets going good, it's a huge boon to the team. And we are stuck with him for the next 18 years, we might want to try and not lose him forever. But like I said, Lilly is versatile enough to ply 5-6 days a week all over the place.