Why no changes..............Really!

Soxfest

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2011 -> 07:31 PM)
The top of the 4th was the worst managed inning of Ozzie's career, in my opinion. He needs to take his ass and go to the National League.

Wow, the worst? :D And you remember some bad ones. Recent bias performance, anyone?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 31, 2011 -> 12:31 AM)
The top of the 4th was the worst managed inning of Ozzie's career, in my opinion. He needs to take his ass and go to the National League.

For that to happen, somebody has to show him the door. You can't fault Ozzie for sticking around until he receives the pink slip.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2011 -> 07:31 PM)

The bunt with a 2-0 count after Lester walked two in a row, that was easily one of the worst decisions I've ever witnessed. The double steal wasn't a bad idea, but Pierre shouldn't see the field again after swinging at that pitch.

This thread is about changes.

Right now we should do this:

Never start Dunn against a lefty and use today's option when lefties pitch.

Also sit Rios against select righties. Rios should not play more than 4 of every 7 games.

Lilly gets the expanded PT.

It'd be nice to bring up Tank then we could add Juan to the "sit him against lefties brigade"

Rongey's basic point in the post-game was that if you go ahead and bench Dunn against all LH pitching and/or PH for him, that you end up perhaps winning the game but losing the overall war, in the sense that totally crippling Dunn psychologically and not letting him fight through this ongoing slump will end up costing the White Sox 10+ games in the future AND will end up creating a bigger issue with his future perforamance and contract.

Dunn, I get. The example he used was the Red Sox not benching Ortiz when he struggled out of the gate so much in 2009 and 2010.

But not giving Viciedo some at-bats over Pierre, not so much...we're done with Juan after this season.

Of course, Pierre's actually playing "decently" (compared to previous results as one of the bottom 5 MLBers for overall play) and that's making it less and less likely they go to Viciedo. And the fact that there's no back-up or competent leadoff hitter lurking in the line-up.

I think Ozzie remembers well enough what happened when he tried to force Swisher into that role and the adverse effect it had upon him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 31, 2011 -> 12:00 AM)
Rongey's basic point in the post-game was that if you go ahead and bench Dunn against all LH pitching and/or PH for him, that you end up perhaps winning the game but losing the overall war, in the sense that totally crippling Dunn psychologically and not letting him fight through this ongoing slump will end up costing the White Sox 10+ games in the future AND will end up creating a bigger issue with his future perforamance and contract.

Dunn, I get. The example he used was the Red Sox not benching Ortiz when he struggled out of the gate so much in 2009 and 2010.

But not giving Viciedo some at-bats over Pierre, not so much...we're done with Juan after this season.

Of course, Pierre's actually playing "decently" (compared to previous results as one of the bottom 5 MLBers for overall play) and that's making it less and less likely they go to Viciedo. And the fact that there's no back-up or competent leadoff hitter lurking in the line-up.

I think Ozzie remembers well enough what happened when he tried to force Swisher into that role and the adverse effect it had upon him.

This was basically the ONLY justification I could think of for not pinch hitting for Dunn in the Saturday game with 1 out and a man on third. Instead, we waited til he popped out to second and then pinch hit Quentin for McPherson, and forced Omar Vizquel to play 1st base for the first time in his 700 year career.

This is professional f***ing baseball. He has got to realize how much he is absolutely killing us right now. If he can't handle being replaced by someone who actually can hit until he gets his s*** straightened out, then he is a weak-minded loser who needs to go cry to his wife. He is making $14 million dollars a year. Is that not enough to make him understand?

Just as Ozzie said the other day that we are in no position to be giving away games right now, that means we have to do what this team needs to win. Now. Not in August when we are 24 games back because Adam Dunn is 0-174 against lefties and he finally figures it out. If he wants to work on his s*** in batting practice and with Greg Walker and gradually starts improving, then he should get inserted into the lineup more and more. But if he is going to be an absolute black hole, I'm sorry, we just can't afford the luxury of catering to his psyche right now. And as for Ortiz, I highly doubt the Red Sox were 7 games under .500 while allowing Ortiz the option to fight through his woes.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 30, 2011 -> 11:13 PM)
It would be nice to see Pierre lose all PT to Viciedo. As soon as Juan snaps out of this little hot streak he's on, that's exactly what we should do. But we won't.

He already has. There's no such thing as a "hot streak" with Juan Pierre. It's simply a case of some of his weak ass singles falling in for hits (BABIP). He offers nothing outside of a sissy single.

QUOTE (Maxwell @ May 31, 2011 -> 06:56 AM)
Rest of the year. And in his career he is .297 hitter. So why is that unlikely?

I'm not a big Pierre guy, but I commend you for pointing out that he's actually been pretty good of late and not a big problem.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 31, 2011 -> 01:33 AM)
I'm not a big Pierre guy, but I commend you for pointing out that he's actually been pretty good of late and not a big problem.

He's been horrid of late. But BA is not the telling story with JP. Yeah, he's going to get his fair share of singles because he never strikes out. But that's all he offers. And when those singles aren't falling in for hits, he offers nothing.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2011 -> 12:13 AM)
This was basically the ONLY justification I could think of for not pinch hitting for Dunn in the Saturday game with 1 out and a man on third. Instead, we waited til he popped out to second and then pinch hit Quentin for McPherson, and forced Omar Vizquel to play 1st base for the first time in his 700 year career.

This is professional f***ing baseball. He has got to realize how much he is absolutely killing us right now. If he can't handle being replaced by someone who actually can hit until he gets his s*** straightened out, then he is a weak-minded loser who needs to go cry to his wife. He is making $14 million dollars a year. Is that not enough to make him understand?

Just as Ozzie said the other day that we are in no position to be giving away games right now, that means we have to do what this team needs to win. Now. Not in August when we are 24 games back because Adam Dunn is 0-174 against lefties and he finally figures it out. If he wants to work on his s*** in batting practice and with Greg Walker and gradually starts improving, then he should get inserted into the lineup more and more. But if he is going to be an absolute black hole, I'm sorry, we just can't afford the luxury of catering to his psyche right now. And as for Ortiz, I highly doubt the Red Sox were 7 games under .500 while allowing Ortiz the option to fight through his woes.

Which comes back to the whole "respect" issue that's seemingly such an issue with Ozzie.

He "respected" Thome too much to make him a part-time player, and that was a LARGE factor in our losing the division last year.

He respects Dunn and Rios too much to bench them for Lillibridge (or Viciedo, basically rookies or 2nd year players) because "of the back of his baseball card."

In all fairness, not even Rongey would express much confidence or optimism in the White Sox breaking out of it this year...his confidence was reserved for the Indians falling back to the field and struggling more and more, as we're currently seeing them.

Unfortunately, we've only picked up 2 1/2 games in the standings against them. Basically, they've remained in that 11-14 games over .500 range or "window" while we've improved from 11 to 6 games under .500.

Usually forecasting 2-3 weeks ahead is idiotic with this Sox team, but I said before the West Coast swing that we had to be 6 games under .500 before we faced Detroit at home, then we had to take it to both the Tigers and the Mariners. If we split the next 2 in BOSTON, we'll be exactly at that 6 game under mark....neither out of it enough to make any moves and certainly not close to contending where you would even begin to contemplate adding.

And what could this team possibly add? Another starter or someone for the bullpen? Nope.

We're not going to bench Pierre, Dunn, AJ, Rios, Beckham or Vizquel, so basically we're stuck with this team, for better or worse.

In all fairness to Juan, he was swinging the bat well and a lot of his hits were good hits. But I wouldn't count on Juan staying hot. Plus, his god awful play in LF really hurts. Every fly ball is an adventure, and his arm turns singles into doubles on a consistent basis.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 29, 2011 -> 07:03 PM)
I don't think the Sox can afford to offer Jackson arbitration. Trading him is the only way, IMO, to get anything for him.

Unless he really collapses, he is going to test free agency, so we will offer him arbitration to get the pick.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2011 -> 01:13 AM)

The fact that Omar Vizquel has played first base and DH for the White Sox (both firsts in his 20+ year career) just shows how baseball retarded Ozzie is.