Why no changes..............Really!

Soxfest

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 29, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
The jury is still out on Humber (I think he's going to fall and he's going to fall hard before the season is over), but for the time being, you have to give him some credit there. But then what about Jackson? What about Pena? These are guys Coop wanted. How come Nick Masset has been so solid with the Reds, yet he couldn't do s*** here? Why was there such a gross miscalculation on Dan Hudson? Why has Danks and Thornton regressed so much? Coop is not as bad as Walker. Not even close. But he's kinda lost that 'magic' he supposedly had 3-4 years ago.

I think we're going to have to wait awhile before judging this Hudson deal, simply because we don't know what/if anything we'll get back for him in trade and/or compensation picks.

Still, it's not comparable to the Ritchie for K.Wells/Fogg/Lowe deal where we gave up 2 1/2 starters (a long man who could occasionally start in Lowe) and then saw the White Sox suffer for another 2-3 years with the back end of the rotation depth largely because of that one move (and injuries), but it's the same idea, since Hudson was cost-controlled for 6 years and Jackson/Manny Ramirez were "roll the dice/go for broke" moves with inadequate thought to the long-term organizational consequences for making those moves. Luckily for KW, he might have found some help with Humber and a healthy Peavy, but Sale's got to work out for this to make sense for the Sox in the next 2 seasons.

I find it hard to believe that Hudson (or Richard) would be putting up #2 or #3 starter numbers with the Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, etc.

One thing is for certain, they felt Jackson was a lot more capable than Hudson of getting on a roll at the major league level last year. That's the only logic for making this particular move.

And I'm not sure why anyone is suprised when we're 6-22 going back to whenever in TOR, which is basically a victory less than 1 win in 4 games every trip/series up there.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 29, 2011 -> 07:15 PM)
I think we're going to have to wait awhile before judging this Hudson deal, simply because we don't know what/if anything we'll get back for him in trade and/or compensation picks.

Still, it's not comparable to the Ritchie for K.Wells/Fogg/Lowe deal where we gave up 2 1/2 starters (a long man who could occasionally start in Lowe) and then saw the White Sox suffer for another 2-3 years with the back end of the rotation depth largely because of that one move (and injuries), but it's the same idea, since Hudson was cost-controlled for 6 years and Jackson/Manny Ramirez were "roll the dice/go for broke" moves with inadequate thought to the long-term organizational consequences for making those moves. Luckily for KW, he might have found some help with Humber and a healthy Peavy, but Sale's got to work out for this to make sense for the Sox in the next 2 seasons.

I find it hard to believe that Hudson (or Richard) would be putting up #2 or #3 starter numbers with the Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, etc.

One thing is for certain, they felt Jackson was a lot more capable than Hudson of getting on a roll at the major league level last year. That's the only logic for making this particular move.

And I'm not sure why anyone is suprised when we're 6-22 going back to whenever in TOR, which is basically a victory less than 1 win in 4 games every trip/series up there.

I don't think the Sox can afford to offer Jackson arbitration. Trading him is the only way, IMO, to get anything for him.

In the past I've been a blind Ozzie supporter, loved the guy. Taking shots at the fans because the people getting paid millions aren't getting it done? Because we have the gall to ask for accountability? Claiming we're pissing on the statue? Give me a f***ing break. No reason for that.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 30, 2011 -> 02:34 AM)
Because he's a horrible manager who never shuts up and has a massively overinflated ego?

I don't know why you think he's a horrible manager. He's definitely OK in that regard.

WHo cares if he runs his mouth? It's Ozzie being Ozzie.I thought Chicago was a rough town, not a town full of people who get their feelings hurt by the big, bad manager.

QUOTE (T R U @ May 29, 2011 -> 01:45 AM)
Ozzie Guillen has averaged 86 wins a season, and has a world series title under his command of the White Sox.. I like how your selected numbers make him and KW out to be garbage..

KW will have missed the playoffs 9 times out of 11 after this year, and Ozzie will have 6 times out of 8. The last six years (including this year), we've had the most financial resources in this division. And throughout those 11 years, this division has been mediocre the majority of the time. To me, those numbers aren't good enough. Has this franchise been respectable? Yes. But, teams spending as much money as we are should be more than that. No doubt about it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2011 -> 07:43 PM)
I don't know why you think he's a horrible manager. He's definitely OK in that regard.

WHo cares if he runs his mouth? It's Ozzie being Ozzie.I thought Chicago was a rough town, not a town full of people who get their feelings hurt by the big, bad manager.

Because I watch the games. Nobody can watch the games and say Ozzie Guillen isn't a bad manager, unless they aren't watching very closely.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 30, 2011 -> 02:46 AM)
Because I watch the games. Nobody can watch the games and say Ozzie Guillen isn't a bad manager, unless they aren't watching very closely.

I challenge you to watch any other game and not point out five to 10 glaring errors by the manager of the losing team. Managers who manage good players win; managers who manage bad and/or/ lazy players lose. There are the rare buffoons like Bevington.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 29, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)

I was surprised they actually scored more than 2 runs avg. per game.

Why do we always play the Blue Jays for 4 in Toronto? I looked into it and this is the 5th year in a row of a 4 game set @ Rogers Centre. I'm not familiar with AL non-divisional scheduling.

Edited by ROC Sox Fan

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2011 -> 08:43 PM)

To be honest, no one would have a problem with his mouth if we didn't believe that he's a terrible in game manager. The fact that he's so bad in that regard does make it frustrating however when he wont shut up though.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 30, 2011 -> 12:36 AM)
Ozzie criticizing news paper on twitter today, saying his comments were taken out of context, saying he loves the fans, and fans always supported him etc.

Not buying it Guillen to many times you rip the fans............No more excuses! :gosoxretro: On another note how does Walker keep a job with these numbers?

Sox vs LHP in 2011

White Sox team batting vs. lefties:

45 runs scored (last in the AL)

.302 OBP (13th in AL)

.322 Slugging (last in AL)

.227 batting avg. (last in AL)

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 30, 2011 -> 02:09 AM)
To be honest, no one would have a problem with his mouth if we didn't believe that he's a terrible in game manager. The fact that he's so bad in that regard does make it frustrating however when he wont shut up though.

And the fact that he absolutely cannot take the least bit of criticism. If you feel that Ozzie made an incorrect move, you are an idiot who has never played the game and Ozzie is above being second guessed.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 30, 2011 -> 11:51 AM)
And the fact that he absolutely cannot take the least bit of criticism. If you feel that Ozzie made an incorrect move, you are an idiot who has never played the game and Ozzie is above being second guessed.

That second sentence sounds like a greg quote.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 30, 2011 -> 03:21 AM)
I challenge you to watch any other game and not point out five to 10 glaring errors by the manager of the losing team. Managers who manage good players win; managers who manage bad and/or/ lazy players lose. There are the rare buffoons like Bevington.

three best managers in the AL, in my opinion, are Acta, Scioscia, and Maddon. Even last year, I thought Acta made some terrific tactical moves during the game to put his team in the best chance to succeed. I'm of the opinion that in the end, it's up to the players to execute. However, the manager is responsible for putting those players into a position where they have the best chance to succeed. It's blown me away this year how poorly Ozzie has done this. If Ozzie Guillen cares more about Adam Dunn's feelings than trying to win games, then I hope they're happy when he's managing Dunn for the Newark Bears in 2013.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2011 -> 09:21 PM)

I watch lots of other games. All the time. You're right that almost all managers make mistakes. But VERY few make particularly elementary mistakes like Ozzie does on a daily basis.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 30, 2011 -> 11:48 AM)
Not buying it Guillen to many times you rip the fans............No more excuses! :gosoxretro: On another note how does Walker keep a job with these numbers?

Sox vs LHP in 2011

White Sox team batting vs. lefties:

45 runs scored (last in the AL)

.302 OBP (13th in AL)

.322 Slugging (last in AL)

.227 batting avg. (last in AL)

They'll start to get those numbers turned around against Lester tonight.

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ May 29, 2011 -> 11:48 PM)
Why do we always play the Blue Jays for 4 in Toronto? I looked into it and this is the 5th year in a row of a 4 game set @ Rogers Centre. I'm not familiar with AL non-divisional scheduling.

That does not make alot of sense playing 4 game series all the time..............FREAK OUT FREAK OUT!

My biggest argument about Ozzie that he is a gut-first manager and seemingly doesn't care about statistics. Regardless of your view about sabermetrics vs. naked-eye scouting, statistics can tell you a whole hell a lot on how to manage in certain situations, and it appears that Ozzie doesn't even consult them.

Key example was the Corey Patterson base hit where Omar should have been against Thornton on that hit-and-run. I wish I could find a spray chart for Patterson, but he clearly is a dead pull hitter. And Oswaldo goes ahead and allows Omar to cover second instead of Alexei. That is about as egregious as it gets, especially since the Sox have the spray charts which would say he pulls it like 90% of the time.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 30, 2011 -> 05:46 PM)
My biggest argument about Ozzie that he is a gut-first manager and seemingly doesn't care about statistics. Regardless of your view about sabermetrics vs. naked-eye scouting, statistics can tell you a whole hell a lot on how to manage in certain situations, and it appears that Ozzie doesn't even consult them.

Key example was the Corey Patterson base hit where Omar should have been against Thornton on that hit-and-run. I wish I could find a spray chart for Patterson, but he clearly is a dead pull hitter. And Oswaldo goes ahead and allows Omar to cover second instead of Alexei. That is about as egregious as it gets, especially since the Sox have the spray charts which would say he pulls it like 90% of the time.

Baseball by far is the most statistically-centric team sport there is. And Ozzie continuously ignores them. I actually didn't think he was that bad initially. But he feels a sense of ultimate entitlement since '05. And it doesn't hurt that Hawk seems to give Ozzie all the credit for the 4 complete games against the Angels. "No manager in the game would've had the stones to leave their guys in that long." Something to that degree.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 30, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)
Baseball by far is the most statistically-centric team sport there is. And Ozzie continuously ignores them. I actually didn't think he was that bad initially. But he feels a sense of ultimate entitlement since '05. And it doesn't hurt that Hawk seems to give Ozzie all the credit for the 4 complete games against the Angels. "No manager in the game would've had the stones to leave their guys in that long." Something to that degree.

And I hate how he always references 2005 as if that is that recent. That was six years ago now. Recent in sports is last month, not six years.