Wow, Humber. You fo' realz?

Steve9347

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:42 PM)
If he's still pitching like this at the ASB you wouldn't see if he'd bite at a cheap two year deal or something like that?

IF he proves he's the real deal over the course of a full season, yeah, look into it. But don't get stupid (I don't mean you). I know our pitching situation is dire. But you have to be smart.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:42 PM)
Jose was good for a year and a half. Loaiza for one. Remember how giddy everybody was after we locked Contreras up after '05? Then by '07 everybody wanted him traded for a Miller Lite.

Loaiza was only here for a year and a half and he was pretty good for most of that. Contreras was solid for two years and I felt like he was more or less a victim of bad luck from 07-09.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:43 PM)
Well here is the comment after he was drafted third overall in 2004 by the Mets:

3 PHILIP HUMBER RICE U RHP R/R 6'4" 220 1982-12-21 4YR 56K | 350K

COMMENT: LARGE FRAME. BROAD, SLOPED SHOULDERS. STRONG, DURABLE, OVERALL BUILD. MORE DEVELOPED LOWER HALF. BODY TYPE SIMILAR TO KEVIN MILLWOOD. NO WINDUP, HIGH 3/4 DELIVERY. PLUS ARM STRENGTH. COMFORT ZONE 91-93 W/ RUN & SINK WHEN DOWN. CB, ML OUT PITCH W/ BIG, TIGHT, SHARP 11-5 BITE. CHANGEUP W/ SINK & DECEPTION. OTHER PITCH, SPLIT, W/ SHORT DOWN BREAK. BIG, STRONG, DURABLE WORKHORSE W/ PITCHABILITY & MOUND PRESENCE. STUFF FOR QUALITY RHS AT ML LEVEL.

That was then. He doesn't have that type of stuff now. Look at his K-rate. It's borderline Buehrle. His BABIP is .210. That's grossly abnormal.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
Before we all get ahead of ourselves, again, he only has 1 year of service time. Do we even have to worry about locking him up?

this is a great question... I'd guess once released players signing minor league or FA contracts aren't bound by those rules, right?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 31, 2011 -> 07:48 PM)
That was then. He doesn't have that type of stuff now. Look at his K-rate. It's borderline Buehrle. His BABIP is .210. That's grossly abnormal.

Well he had TJ surgery, but I don't think it's really affected his stuff all that much. His curve is still devastating. What is his FIP?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
Before we all get ahead of ourselves, again, he only has 1 year of service time. Do we even have to worry about locking him up?

No, all the same rules apply, nothing changes for him. If he finishes the season with 2 years of service then he's ours for the next 4 years and can make $500K next year.

There is absolutely no reason to think about locking him up. He's made 10 starts this season and is under team control for the next 4.5 years, there's plenty of time to let him sink or swim before committing to him. And yes, I worry about a starting pitcher with a 5.0 k/9, that's asking an awful lot of your defense.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:45 PM)
Loaiza was only here for a year and a half and he was pretty good for most of that. Contreras was solid for two years and I felt like he was more or less a victim of bad luck from 07-09.

Contreras was a victim of his own lack of confidence in his stuff. But from June 05 to June 06 he was the best pitcher in ALL of baseball.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:48 PM)
If we choose to keep him, he is under our control for 2 more pre-arb years, correct?

Yeah. You have literally nothing to lose. See what he does next year.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 31, 2011 -> 07:51 PM)
No, all the same rules apply, nothing changes for him. If he finishes the season with 2 years of service then he's ours for the next 4 years and can make $500K next year.

There is absolutely no reason to think about locking him up. He's made 10 starts this season and is under team control for the next 4.5 years, there's plenty of time to let him sink or swim before committing to him. And yes, I worry about a starting pitcher with a 5.0 k/9, that's asking an awful lot of your defense.

Thanks Kal. No reason to do anything other than keep throwing him out there then...

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:37 PM)
You're so full of bologna...dude was a 1st round draft pick. Stuff has never been the issue with him.

Stuff became the problem with him after be blew out his elbow. Good curve, but otherwise, the rest of his stuff is either below or at best average. He woulda been nasty though if he could still throw that heater in the high 90's.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 31, 2011 -> 09:07 PM)
Stuff became the problem with him after be blew out his elbow. Good curve, but otherwise, the rest of his stuff is either below or at best average. He woulda been nasty though if he could still throw that heater in the high 90's.

He used to throw in the high 90s? I thought he was at best a mid 90s guy when he got drafted?

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:10 PM)
He used to throw in the high 90s? I thought he was at best a mid 90s guy when he got drafted?

Well the scouting report when he was drafted says comfort zone 91-93. So he's maybe lost 1-2 mph off of that?

I'm not buying the stuff argument. His stuff looks pretty sharp to me.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 31, 2011 -> 09:10 PM)

I thought I heard somewhere that he used to be able to, but after looking it up, it seems that you are correct. Before his injury, he was a 92-95 type guy with movement. After the surgery though, his fastball went on a decline before settling around 89 or 90.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:51 PM)

Thank you. That's all I'm saying. I ain't getting that excited. Forget that.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:22 PM)
Thank you. That's all I'm saying. I ain't getting that excited. Forget that.

You weren't saying that at all, fibster! ;)

You were saying he's going to bust...I'm saying he is still a pre-arb player.

Two different points.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2011 -> 09:23 PM)
You weren't saying that at all, fibster! ;)

You were saying he's going to bust...I'm saying he is still a pre-arb player.

Two different points.

I've been pretty impressed so far. Do I think it will last? No. But Steve and others were talking about locking him up.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 31, 2011 -> 09:28 PM)
I've been pretty impressed so far. Do I think it will last? No. But Steve and others were talking about locking him up.

Show me where I talked about money and "locking him up".

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 31, 2011 -> 09:37 PM)
Whoops. I took "years" as you wanting to lock him up. My fault. But there were others.

I just wanted to point out that I've seen a lot of pitchers come around over the years, and plenty of guys with the makeup and stuff of Humber have had sustained success. He looks like a legit 3rd or 4th option.