Complete White Sox draft and signings list

southsider2k5

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to The Wizard's Sox website, looks like Bryce Mossier has signed. 33rd round.

https://soxbronzetitan.wordpress.com/2011/0...ryce-mosier-hs/

Quote from one of his links: http://www.morrisdailyherald.com/articles/...30887/index.xml

Mosier was originally hoping to land a six-figure bonus, but that wasn't able to come to fruition. Steve Mosier said that he wasn't allowed to release the details of the contract.

As a player who was expected to go higher than he did, Mosier's bonus was a lot of money for where he was drafted.

One stipulation in the contract was that the White Sox would pay Mosier's college tuition at a state school should he eventually decide to attend one.

"I definitely want that taken care of," Mosier said. "I wouldn't have signed if they wouldn't have given me school paid for."

The fact that he would be forced to stay in college for three years is another thing that made Mosier sign with the Sox.

"That definitely played a big part. I didn't want to be locked up for three years," he said. "I was going to get better anywhere I went. I wasn't going to get worse by any means.

"The college experience is fun if you win. San Diego State hasn't showed that in the last couple years. Being locked down for three years and not winning, I think I'd kind of regret some things."

Mosier will head to the Sox' rookie ball affiliate in Bristol, Va. to start his professional career. He took his physical Monday and will catch some bullpen sessions today. He hopes to get 30 or 40 at-bats this summer. The Bristol White Sox' season ends Aug. 30.

Edited by OilCan

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 12:03 PM)
According to The Wizard's Sox website, looks like Bryce Mossier has signed. 33rd round.

https://soxbronzetitan.wordpress.com/2011/0...ryce-mosier-hs/

Quote from one of his links: http://www.morrisdailyherald.com/articles/...30887/index.xml

Well that is one high schooler done! We still have like 3 more weeks to pull down a few more.

I'm hopeful that Gardeck and Freese (two that I really want the Sox to sign) will sign. Those will be the ones asking for $$$$ but if the Sox can get them, that will help add to the pitching depth in the minors.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)
I'm hopeful that Gardeck and Freese (two that I really want the Sox to sign) will sign. Those will be the ones asking for $$$$ but if the Sox can get them, that will help add to the pitching depth in the minors.

I wonder if the Sox move some payroll in the next week, if that frees up money to go after a couple of these kids a little bit harder?

I found this interesting from that article

One stipulation in the contract was that the White Sox would pay Mosier's college tuition at a state school should he eventually decide to attend one.

I wonder how frequently this is done? Seems to be a good ploy to convince the HS kid drafted late whos is wavering between college and pro ball to sign.

I hope so SouthSider.

It was interesting to hear what KW said yesterday...

"Absolutely, because on one hand you can look at potentially adding, and we would have to add creatively because of the financial situation right now," Williams said. "On the other hand, maybe this is the most opportune time to turn over the entire roster, and get some young, exciting players in here.

I really hope that if he does pull the trigger and sell some vets to free up some cash, some of that cash will be invested in the draft. Got to start somewhere. The minor league depth for the Sox have nowhere to go but up since they're at the bottom third, IMHO, when compared to other organizations. This draft will help, but more work has to/will be done.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 12:19 PM)

I wonder how frequently this is done? Seems to be a good ploy to convince the HS kid drafted late whos is wavering between college and pro ball to sign.

Honestly, we'll know by word of mouth or stories such as that.

But, it is a VERY good ploy to use indeed for some of the HS yet to be signed.

I know it used to be more common, but today that promise can mean an extra 100k+ depending on where you go to school

From what I've heard it's very common. As far as I know most college juniors get that last year of college paid for almost all the time. The high schoolers probably get it less often, but I think most do.

And now that I think about it this explains Kevan Smith's "promotion" to Great Falls. They needed to open up some at-bats at catcher for Mosier.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
From what I've heard it's very common. As far as I know most college juniors get that last year of college paid for almost all the time. The high schoolers probably get it less often, but I think most do.

And now that I think about it this explains Kevan Smith's "promotion" to Great Falls. They needed to open up some at-bats at catcher for Mosier.

I'm wondering if the ship has sailed entirely on Gardeck, and thus they start floating some over-slot deals on the latter prep players to compensate.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)
I'm wondering if the ship has sailed entirely on Gardeck, and thus they start floating some over-slot deals on the latter prep players to compensate.

From what Laumann said in the conference call it sounded like Gardeck and O'Shea wouldn't sign. I don't remember what he said exactly, but he didn't expect them to sign because they were too far apart. From the BA scouting report they say Mosier could have gone in the top 10 rounds so he's basically replacing one of those two for value.

Love that we finally got our first high school pick and we went over the slot. Hopefully this is a sign that trades will be happening on the big league roster and we could spend some money on the rest of our draft picks, international players, and get infusion of prospects from the deals. We need to build up our farm system. Spending too much money on trades and free agent pickups: Dunn, Rios, Peavy, Teahen, Ohman, Pierre, E. Jackson and the list goes on. We need to start developing our farm system so it will save us money in the long run.

Edited by PolishPrince34

"One stipulation in the contract was that the White Sox would pay Mosier's college tuition at a state school should he eventually decide to attend one."

Part of the MLB offer sheet. You can negotiate $ based on where you are going to school or have been accepted.

QUOTE (NHDadUmp-RI @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 04:28 PM)
"One stipulation in the contract was that the White Sox would pay Mosier's college tuition at a state school should he eventually decide to attend one."

Part of the MLB offer sheet. You can negotiate $ based on where you are going to school or have been accepted.

That explains a lot.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 6, 2011 -> 06:55 PM)
Kendall Rogers

KendallRogersPG Kendall Rogers

by MDGonzales

#CalStateFullerton will have one less arm next season. Pitcher Chris Devenski, a 25th-rdr to the #WhiteSox, has signed. #mlbdraft #MLB

4 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Does this signing so close to deadline mean the White Sox went over the slot recommendation?

FYI

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/08/the-..._medium=twitter

The Deadline For Signing Draft Picks

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 10, 2011 at 9:10am CST]

Here are the details behind next Monday's deadline for signing draft picks:

The deadline is typically 11:59pm on August 15th. It gets pushed back during years that August 15th falls on a weekend.

The deadline doesn't apply to college seniors and it doesn't apply to players drafted out of independent leagues or those who don't play college baseball again between two drafts.

Here's what happens to players who don't sign:

High schoolers who enroll in a four-year college program after being drafted aren't eligible again until after their junior year of college or their 21st birthday. For example, Mark Prior wasn't available between 1998, when the Yankees drafted him, and 2001, when the Cubs did.

Drafted players who go on to attend junior college are again eligible after their freshman and sophomore years.

College juniors who don't sign are available in the next draft.

Players can't be drafted by the same team twice in a row unless they give permission.