WTF are we waiting for ? Call up Viciedo !

macsandz

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 04:29 PM)
fathom will hate me for this. But the summer of '09 set this franchise back at least 5 years.

I think signing Dunn AND losing the first round pick was just as significant...and the loss of Hudson dating back to last summer. Simply because Dunn is impossible to unload unless he's hitting. If Rios could throw together two months of 800 OPS baseball and pick it up a bit defensively (and stop loafing), then there's a better chance someone would bite. The Dunn market is limited to about 5 teams in baseball.

But the combination of Rios, Peavy, bringing in Teahen and Pierre and dumping Swisher was almost as bad....the diametrically-opposed opposite of Danks/Floyd/Ramirez/Quentin in 2007-2008.

One thing that DJ and Farmer mentioned constantly in the DBack series was how much they hustled....came after you on the basepaths, running down the baselines, everything done with a sense of urgency, intensity and purpose. He attributed this to the respect that Gibson, Trammell, Baylor, Matt Williams, etc., have from those young players. Juan Pierre always hustles, but we have a number of players dogging it down the 1B line, notably Rios. Some will excuse AJ because he's so slow, but he has a propensity for doing that, too.

McKeon benched Hanley right away to send a message. Remember Maddon and Upton? It's back the zero accountability thing. Bradley was lifted in the middle of a game this year for his attitude and lack of hustle. The Twins struggle with Delmon Young in this regard, as well....which is why they've tried to trade him numerous time since they acquired him.

Has Ozzie ever done anything similar with Rios for his apparent lack of hustle. Not slumping offensively, but just the cavalier attitude he sometimes shows towards the game of baseball? It's a crime with how hard Lillibridge tries because he would be playing everyday for Maddon or Gibson (at least while he was hot) and Rios would have had an extensive period of riding the pine, not just 2 games.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has Ozzie ever done anything similar with Rios for his apparent lack of hustle. Not slumping offensively, but just the cavalier attitude he sometimes shows towards the game of baseball?

Look. This is all on KW and the scouting department.

The NBA at least knows what it is getting in players in terms of character. Their scouts do ALOT of checking.

Rios is a turd (regarding his laziness and loafing with the security of a big contract). You can polish a turd all you want, but a turd remains a turd.

That's on the White Sox organization for taking the turd.

Oz sat Rios consecutive nights after his little blow up, didn't he? At least one night.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 05:46 PM)
Has Ozzie ever done anything similar with Rios for his apparent lack of hustle.

Maybe he doesn't want to wear himself out since he probably feels like he's playing center and left with Pierre out there.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 05:46 PM)
I think signing Dunn AND losing the first round pick was just as significant...and the loss of Hudson dating back to last summer. Simply because Dunn is impossible to unload unless he's hitting. If Rios could throw together two months of 800 OPS baseball and pick it up a bit defensively (and stop loafing), then there's a better chance someone would bite. The Dunn market is limited to about 5 teams in baseball.

But the combination of Rios, Peavy, bringing in Teahen and Pierre and dumping Swisher was almost as bad....the diametrically-opposed opposite of Danks/Floyd/Ramirez/Quentin in 2007-2008.

One thing that DJ and Farmer mentioned constantly in the DBack series was how much they hustled....came after you on the basepaths, running down the baselines, everything done with a sense of urgency, intensity and purpose. He attributed this to the respect that Gibson, Trammell, Baylor, Matt Williams, etc., have from those young players. Juan Pierre always hustles, but we have a number of players dogging it down the 1B line, notably Rios. Some will excuse AJ because he's so slow, but he has a propensity for doing that, too.

McKeon benched Hanley right away to send a message. Remember Maddon and Upton? It's back the zero accountability thing. Bradley was lifted in the middle of a game this year for his attitude and lack of hustle. The Twins struggle with Delmon Young in this regard, as well....which is why they've tried to trade him numerous time since they acquired him.

Has Ozzie ever done anything similar with Rios for his apparent lack of hustle. Not slumping offensively, but just the cavalier attitude he sometimes shows towards the game of baseball? It's a crime with how hard Lillibridge tries because he would be playing everyday for Maddon or Gibson (at least while he was hot) and Rios would have had an extensive period of riding the pine, not just 2 games.

It is much easier to do when you don't have to worry about the team listening to you for any period of time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 08:59 PM)
So the manager should only do things that are easy?

In an era where the players are always right and managers get fired, benching your superstar usually gets you fired. When you don't have to worry about what your superstar thinks of you, it doesn't matter. The only worry McKeon has now is the team quitting on him.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 09:43 PM)
Kenny and Ozzie playing Hot Potato....

“I don’t mind having Viciedo here–at all. My problem is, where am I going to play him? He’s got to play every day. If they want to bring Viciedo up, I got the pen ready to put it down.”

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/06/21/ken...lay-hot-potato/

Again the words out of his mouth making me laugh. You switch him and our outfielder with a -1.1 WAR. Does Ozzie even understand statistics beyond the basic average, home runs and such?

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 09:50 PM)
I bet he'll be up after AS break. I read somewhere that if they bring up now, it has something to do with free agency, arbitration or something like that. Plus he needs to spend more time getting you to playing the outfield.

Service time. He'll be up in a couple of weeks.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 11:03 PM)
Again the words out of his mouth making me laugh. You switch him and our outfielder with a -1.1 WAR. Does Ozzie even understand statistics beyond the basic average, home runs and such?

I really don't think he does. Honestly. I don't think he cares, he's really "old school"

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 10:01 PM)
In an era where the players are always right and managers get fired, benching your superstar usually gets you fired. When you don't have to worry about what your superstar thinks of you, it doesn't matter. The only worry McKeon has now is the team quitting on him.

if this it the case then owners/decision makers are making the wrong choices.