Sox versus Twins 12:10 pm Afternoon Delight

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 09:24 PM)
I think he's a mid .700's OPS 3b once he fully develops/adapts, and may cross .800 a couple times given the park he's playing in.

I think we can all agree he has to learn to draw a walk or two before he'll sniff a decent OPS.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)
I think he's a mid .700's OPS 3b once he fully develops/adapts, and may cross .800 a couple times given the park he's playing in.

Hope you're right. Anyway, Brent's in the right spot in the 9 hole, and there's about 50 other problems with the team that deserve more attention.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 09:29 PM)
Hope you're right. Anyway, Brent's in the right spot in the 9 hole, and there's about 50 other problems with the team that deserve more attention.

In a perfect world with Beckham and Alexei at 2b and ss, and with Konerko/Dunn and an outfield of Viciedo, Rios and Quentin, then Morel batting 8th or 9th would be fine with me. Thankfully that sounds like the plan next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)

With no power and no plate discipline? Unless he's going to smack 50 doubles a year, that's not happening.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)
But where? That means you're going to have to eat AJ's contract, give up on Beckham....can we give up on Morel if he's not walking or showing enough power?

Doing anything with Quentin/Konerko/Alexei Ramirez would be COUNTERPRODUCTIVE, so that always leaves Juan Pierre's position.

Or would you just waive Rios?

That would be fine, if ANYBODY could predict with some degree of certainty he's (Lillibridge) an everyday ballplayer over the course of a six month season.

Personally, I'd much rather cheer for Viciedo and Lilly...but KW has consistently shown he doesn't care what fans think, nor does Ozzie.

KW and Guillen don't give a crap what we think because THEIR boss doesn't care what we think.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)
With no power and no plate discipline? Unless he's going to smack 50 doubles a year, that's not happening.

He doesn't have no power. He'll be a 10-15 HR a year guy who might occasionally hit 20+ once he gets there, and he's already on the way.

It's the exact development path he took in the minors. Struggled for a month, then started getting tons of hits, then started hitting with more authority.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)

With the contact he is making, I really feel that will come back to him. If he was striking out like Beckham, and still had no power, I'd be more worried.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
Great. So Morel's offensive ceiling is that of Jorge Cantu. That better be some damn good defense at 3B.

Adrian Beltre has a .781 OPS right now.

Adrian Beltre is performing like Jorge Cantu with the bat.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)

This would be impossible. I think many people have proven on this board that it is impossible to improve once you've made it to the majors. You are are what you are once you begin your career, unless you start out well then you will only regress.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 01:56 PM)
Nothing has changed (except we are worse this year against Detroit)

I don't know how to explain it. This also happened with a different manager and players. They are the Twin's b****. Always will be.

However, for Morel to be an above average player, he simply has to be nearly a Gold Glove level fielder.

It's his rookie year, so he's going to get some rope there, but he hasn't exactly been making anyone forget Ventura or Crede.

Heck, if he was just an amalgam of Uribe/Crede (20 homers, 65-85 RBI's), I think everyone would be as pleased as punch.

Something happened to the team attitude changed when Uribe left and the talented but enigmatic Rios was added to the mix. They're not going to DFA Rios or Dunn or send Beckham to Charlotte, and Konerko's gotten to the point in his career where a hitting coach like Walker isn't as necessary, but with the Rio/Dunn/Beckham triumvirate, Morel still finding himself and Viciedo on his way, how could a fresh perpective at that position possibly hurt?

Is it the fear that Quentin, Ramirez and Konerko will fall apart without Walker?

Maybe even a new hitting coach could figure out a way to get one more solid offensive season out of AJ, since we're unlikely to eat a $6 million contract before 2012 begins. OR could work some magic with Tyler Flowers and Jordan Danks, you have to be willing to think outside of the box at SOME POINT.