2011-2012 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 23, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
Oh for a franchise 'tender.

I was talking about this last night. Left in the playoffs are 4 teams with hot goalies. Phoenix ran into a hot goalie with an actual team around him.

And its hard to root for LA since their fanbase is awful, but I hate both teams in the east.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 23, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
I was talking about this last night. Left in the playoffs are 4 teams with hot goalies. Phoenix ran into a hot goalie with an actual team around him.

And its hard to root for LA since their fanbase is awful, but I hate both teams in the east.

Not a big fan of any of the teams left, but I'll take the Original 6 team...just for history's sake.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 23, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)

3 of those goalies aare actually solid goalies. Phoenix is one team that pulled a hot goalie out of their ass.

QUOTE (OilCan @ May 25, 2012 -> 08:12 PM)
Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS

Blackhawks signs Jamal Mayers 1 year, $600 000 (550 000 + 50 000 SB)

Interesting. He played 81 games all year, then got benched in the playoffs, I wasn't sure he would come back. Personally, I thought he was a solid 4th liner. Kicked some ass, but would also provide the occasional offense too.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 25, 2012 -> 11:26 PM)
I have really enjoyed the playoffs this year, but Kings/Devils is pretty meh to me. I'm sure I'll watch some, but not gonna go out of my way for it.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 25, 2012 -> 11:49 PM)
Go Kings, I guess, but I don't really care that much. I'll watch if I happen upon it, but I won't seek it out.

Both teams are playing really good hockey. Just because they aren't "name" teams, that means you wouldn't tune in? That's something a non-hockey fan would say.

Also, if you're a fan of the NHL (or any sport for that matter), I don't know how you don't watch the championship series for that given sport.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 26, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)
I'm rooting for Jersey because of Broduer.

It was awesome to watch him celebrating last night. I'm beyond impressed that at this age and what he's gone through with injuries, he can backstop them to the finals.

I won't be for one team heavily over the other, which is usually the case.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 26, 2012 -> 09:02 AM)
Both teams are playing really good hockey. Just because they aren't "name" teams, that means you wouldn't tune in? That's something a non-hockey fan would say.

Also, if you're a fan of the NHL (or any sport for that matter), I don't know how you don't watch the championship series for that given sport.

Of course they're playing good hockey, they're in the championship round. I just don't care about either team, and as I've said before, I need to have a rooting interest to watch. Watching just to watch would be like watching a Bears game for me. If it's on and I'm in the room, fine, but I'm not searching it out.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 26, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
Of course they're playing good hockey, they're in the championship round. I just don't care about either team, and as I've said before, I need to have a rooting interest to watch. Watching just to watch would be like watching a Bears game for me. If it's on and I'm in the room, fine, but I'm not searching it out.

Good and an exciting brand. Like I said, it's more of the "Stanley Cup Finals hockey is epic and as a hockey fan I want to follow until the conclusion of the season."

It's the biggest stage for a sport you (in theory) enjoy. That or I guess you're really just a Hawks/Wings fan.

It's like watching a movie for 2 hours then with 5 minutes left, bailing. I know people do this for other sports, but I just don't get it. If you have no interest in watching the championship game/series for a sport, you aren't really a fan of that sport, you're more of a fan of a particular team than anything.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 26, 2012 -> 11:55 AM)
Good and an exciting brand. Like I said, it's more of the "Stanley Cup Finals hockey is epic and as a hockey fan I want to follow until the conclusion of the season."

It's the biggest stage for a sport you (in theory) enjoy. That or I guess you're really just a Hawks/Wings fan.

It's like watching a movie for 2 hours then with 5 minutes left, bailing. I know people do this for other sports, but I just don't get it. If you have no interest in watching the championship game/series for a sport, you aren't really a fan of that sport, you're more of a fan of a particular team than anything.

I do walk out of movies or concerts if they suck. The money's already spent, so there's no incentive to stick around to see the end of something I'm not enjoying.

Just FYI, the "not a fan" routine has zero effect on me. I watch (or don't) for my own reasons and I couldn't care less if that makes me "less of a fan" to anyone.

I can't pretend to care about the New Jersey Devils, and I only very, very slightly care more about the LA Kings, so this series holds almost no interest for me regardless of when it happens and if a trophy is on the line.

Again, you do what you want, but you can't really be a big NHL/hockey fan if a championship series means nothing to you. Apparently it's only certain teams for you, not the game itself. My point is that it doesn't matter who the teams are.

And how is NJ/Kings sucking when they haven't played a game yet? The concert/movie analogy doesn't really add up there.

Edited by IlliniKrush

I have no idea who I want to win, but I know Marty Brodeur getting another championship would be awesome. What a great career - he's been the Devils' outstanding goaltender since I was old enough to comprehend sports fully.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 26, 2012 -> 01:56 PM)
Again, you do what you want, but you can't really be a big NHL/hockey fan if a championship series means nothing to you. Apparently it's only certain teams for you, not the game itself. My point is that it doesn't matter who the teams are.

And how is NJ/Kings sucking when they haven't played a game yet? The concert/movie analogy doesn't really add up there.

Two separate concepts, not related in any way. You brought up leaving a movie with 5 minutes left and I commented on the idea of leaving a movie early.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 26, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
I have no idea who I want to win, but I know Marty Brodeur getting another championship would be awesome. What a great career - he's been the Devils' outstanding goaltender since I was old enough to comprehend sports fully.

Marty has been so incredible for so long, and you never hear about him doing anything but winning hockey games.